Glory 4-29-17 Longest muster drill ever!

jayscore

Though I have seen poorly ran life boat drills, the delays aren't really caused by the cruise lines. They are caused by passengers that are delaying going to them because they don't want to wait outside or passengers who try to hide out to avoid them.

With today's technology there is a real simple fix to this, if they are late or hiding don't wait for them, turn off their cards. When they can't buy a drink or get in their cabins they will go to guest services. Then they can sit them in a room until everyone that missed it is present, lecture them, make the group go to each muster station that may be represented in the missed group and do the drill each time. Once the whole group is done they can go back to the initial room to get their cards turned back on.

With no penalties to the offenders only those of us who show up on time are the ones punished. My wife and I get there early, we would rather have a wall to lean against than just stand there.

This is a fantastic idea! Bravo!

Or they could easily set a required attendance time. Like you have 20 minutes (or whatever reasonable time they come up with) to check in at your muster drill station. Anyone not checked in by this time will be removed from ship. Or some other stiff penalty such as a fine or something that would serve as a catalyst to get people there in a timely manner.

I truly don't want others to suffer because I am tardy but I also don't want to rush there and be on the very back row because I know myself, I would probably completely lose it since I would just be trapped in there with no set ending.

Even if I get approval to attend a "handicapped" muster, it sounds from everyone else's stories that it would still be disorganized and they would likely be calling my name to be at my station, whilst all the other poor sardines were standing there baking and fainting.

You would think that after the first or even couple of times that customers fainted during drill they would be able to come up with a better plan.

Also according to Cheng's post above the ships who have room by the lifeboats to safely conduct the drill there must do so, well there was no walk space in the front of the rows when I had muster drill on the liberty. The front rows were smashed into the railing. The employees were actually perched up on top of the railing. Sitting and chatting with each other as we baked and suffered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of the biggest problems we've seen is waiting for the people to show up that had to have that one last drink, one last lap in the pool, one last burger or whatever.

IIRC, Royal Caribbean stops serving drinks and food a half hour before muster. Isn't Carnival like that?

With today's technology there is a real simple fix to this, if they are late or hiding don't wait for them, turn off their cards. When they can't buy a drink or get in their cabins they will go to guest services. Then they can sit them in a room until everyone that missed it is present, lecture them, make the group go to each muster station that may be represented in the missed group and do the drill each time. Once the whole group is done they can go back to the initial room to get their cards turned back on.
(y) I like this idea. Right now the people who show up on time are the ones who are punished by waiting the longest.

I admit, muster drills are necessary, but, our drill on the Glory was the longest ever!

The latest head count system seemed fair enough until a few passengers were a no-show. The crew then went to check the S&S of the offending cabin members to see who might be missing.

I get it, but, if a guest isn't capable to do the drill, make it known right away, lest they be known as a pariah the rest of the cruise.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now!;)

I had a totally different experience from you. I was on Glory the week before you and the muster drill was very quick. It seemed like about 10-15 minutes once they started. It didn't took long to get started and no one took any counts or scanned any cards so I don't know how they would know if someone missed it.

Though I have seen poorly ran life boat drills, the delays aren't really caused by the cruise lines. They are caused by passengers that are delaying going to them because they don't want to wait outside or passengers who try to hide out to avoid them.

With no penalties to the offenders only those of us who show up on time are the ones punished. My wife and I get there early, we would rather have a wall to lean against than just stand there.

Great idea.

Is the system capable of displaying some type of alert to the crew member who scans it? So if someone skips muster, then goes to the bar, the bartender sees an alert saying, "Naughty muster skipper. See guest services." Something like that might be useful in different ways.

Is the system capable of displaying some type of alert to the crew member who scans it? So if someone skips muster, then goes to the bar, the bartender sees an alert saying, "Naughty muster skipper. See guest services." Something like that might be useful in different ways.

Probably the same way as if you can't charge any more because your credit card is declined or you don't have any more cash on your account. Wouldn't be too hard for them to flip a switch. The transaction will be denied.

Edited by firemanbobswife

This is a great idea. The current system punishes those who show up on time and rewards those who don't.

Probably the same way as if you can't charge any more because your credit card is declined or you don't have any more cash on your account. Wouldn't be too hard for them to flip a switch. The transaction will be denied.

This is a great idea. The current system punishes those who show up on time and rewards those who don't.
Combined with SheehanDJ's idea of cutting the card's funds, I think some type of alert system could come in handy, not only for alerting crew to those who skipped muster, but other things too. Times when a passenger needs to be notified of something that isn't extremely urgent.

Yow! I know this Muster Drill was pathetic, but, I'm sure some had a legitimate excuse for being a "No-show".

Anyhoo, being this ship has Fun Hub capabilities, why can't CCL spend some bucks on some S&S scanning capabilities at the muster stations? Those who don't show up will then be on a s*%t list to be dealt with later, for whatever reason they might have.

Perhaps a preliminary question on the boarding process (special needs) might ask if there might be a problem with the process.

OOPS! I just fell off my soap box!;p

Yow! I know this Muster Drill was pathetic, but, I'm sure some had a legitimate excuse for being a "No-show".

Anyhoo, being this ship has Fun Hub capabilities, why can't CCL spend some bucks on some S&S scanning capabilities at the muster stations? Those who don't show up will then be on a s*%t list to be dealt with later, for whatever reason they might have.

Perhaps a preliminary question on the boarding process (special needs) might ask if there might be a problem with the process.

OOPS! I just fell off my soap box!;p

They already scan cards on Vista with iPads so hopefully they will roll it out fleet wide. They know exactly who didn't attend that way and have a "special" muster drill for them later.

I admit, muster drills are necessary, but, our drill on the Glory was the longest ever!

The latest head count system seemed fair enough until a few passengers were a no-show. The crew then went to check the S&S of the offending cabin members to see who might be missing.

I get it, but, if a guest isn't capable to do the drill, make it known right away, lest they be known as a pariah the rest of the cruise.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now!;)

People need to learn how to show up on time. It's required...u can't avoid it. Yet there us always someone who tries.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Cracked me UP!!! "Naughty Musher Skipper" - have been chuckling on & off for quite a while now...

Not that this is funny - but your turn of phrase was priceless.

The last time we sailed , I believe it was on the Fantasy...they used an IPAD to scan .....due to heat index and the sheer number of people I think as much of the drill as possible should be conducted inside and then take everyone to their lifeboat, 5 minutes max and then you are off.

Just off of Empress. I went to the drill only to receive a letter later telling me I didn't attend. Second time this has happened [emoji854]

I've had this happen to me before. This was back when we took the life jackets to muster.

My husband and I were in our teenaged daughters' room when they called for muster. Instead of going back to our room to get our life jackets, we just took the two extra jackets that were in their room. After all, they had four jackets. Didn't find out until later that they check the rooms. And since there were four life jackets in our room, they just assumed we skipped muster.

It sounds like most consider muster to be a necessity. However, no one wants to be the first to arrive. Who wants to be penned in, overheated and with little air? Arrive a few minutes late, and not only do you spend less time in the sun, you have air circulation.

It's a vicious cycle. It's better to be late than early/on time.

• 1 month later...

This seems absolutely ridiculous to me. GOing on my first carnival cruise in October however i have been going solely on NCL for the past 7 years. NCL has it down to a science. Scan your S&S card, drill itself takes about 10 min. Never been there more than 30 min total. Usually 20 min spend waiting for everyone to assemble and check in. If anyone misses it there is a mandatory make up drill at 8am the next day. But to have almost an hour, thats freaking ridiculous. Hopefully you dont have to wear life jackets. Can anyone advise if you do?

This seems absolutely ridiculous to me. GOing on my first carnival cruise in October however i have been going solely on NCL for the past 7 years. NCL has it down to a science. Scan your S&S card, drill itself takes about 10 min. Never been there more than 30 min total. Usually 20 min spend waiting for everyone to assemble and check in. If anyone misses it there is a mandatory make up drill at 8am the next day. But to have almost an hour, thats freaking ridiculous. Hopefully you dont have to wear life jackets. Can anyone advise if you do?
No, you don't have to wear life jackets.

My personal opinion is, after having done these drills for so many years, they should have it down to a science, but that's not always the case. The common denominator are guests who take their time getting to the drill or try to skip it altogether. That's something hard to control, but cruise lines have had plenty of time to figure out the fastest, most efficient way to do it.

I agree that Carnival muster drills can take a long time, but not nearly as much as my first Carnival cruise. My family was on the Jubilee out of Tampa in June 2002. You had to bring your life jackets back then. The Lido deck was our muster station. We were standing there(all of the chairs were taken) for two hours in the Florida heat. I didn't think to put my hair up, so I was sweating and miserable. The delay was not due to people skipping the drill. Carnival made the decision to delay the start of the drill even after everyone was at there muster stations. Now if Carnival needs to they will delay the call to the muster stations, instead of calling us and then delaying.

On the Triumph in February, five people including me(I was solo) were skipped three times when they were scanning cards. New people would continue to show up, and the lady would scan them in instead of finishing the line the five of us were in. She asked if she missed anybody, so we raised our hands. She had to reach past the two rows in front of us. I don't remember her being too concerned that she skipped us. I don't remember for sure, but I think she apologized.