Where does the Marina dock in New York

Caroldoll

Imagine what it's like for those of us in the SF Bay Area - the only "local" teams are the former "upstate NY" Giants and the Athletics.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No local teams there. Only teams came from NY. Not much left after Willie. Giants no great loss to us. Most of the time the Bay Area teams were losers.

• 8 months later...
Once I had a car (kind of a bad decision because "alternate side parking" requiring me to park further from Brooklyn College then I lived), we migrated to Neponsit (just past Riis Park) for our regular beach hangout. Also used to drive out to the Nathan's in Oceanside.

Though Midwood's main hangout was Avenue J, we'd head over to Madison territory on Kings Hwy every once in awhile. Our Midwood class of '63 had its 50th reunion a few years back. It was amazing to see how many of us ended up in California.

Perchance I just happened upon this post .A lot of alum from Wingate and Erasmus are in California now as well .

Anyone recall Cookies on Ave M ?

Perchance I just happened upon this post .A lot of alum from Wingate and Erasmus are in California now as well .

Anyone recall Cookies on Ave M ?

Wasn't Cookies on Avenue J, a few blocks down from DiFara's Pizza? And there was also Wolfie's at The Junction (Flatbush & Nostrand Avenues).

Midwood HS actually has an alumni chapter in L.A.

Wasn't Cookies on Avenue J, a few blocks down from DiFara's Pizza? And there was also Wolfie's at The Junction (Flatbush & Nostrand Avenues).

Midwood HS actually has an alumni chapter in L.A.

Cookies was on M and E. 16 St.Wolfies was near Brooklyn College as was the Sugar Bowl when I was a student there.

On my last cruise I wore a Born in Brooklyn tee shirt and met people who went to every HS in Brooklyn except the one I graduated,Wingate .I met a guy who graduated Midwood in 1963 who lives in Virginia now .I cannot recall his name but his wife is a Rabbi.

Cookies was on M and E. 16 St.Wolfies was near Brooklyn College as was the Sugar Bowl when I was a student there.

On my last cruise I wore a Born in Brooklyn tee shirt and met people who went to every HS in Brooklyn except the one I graduated,Wingate .I met a guy who graduated Midwood in 1963 who lives in Virginia now .I cannot recall his name but his wife is a Rabbi.

Besides Midwood '63, I was Brooklyn College '67. Ate many a "cheeseburger special" at the Sugar Bowl.

SF is full of Brooklynites.

Though it hasn't happened recently, one bar, The Buena Vista (originator of Irish Coffee) near Fisherman's Wharf, used to sponsor the annual NYC Street Games Festival (stick ball, box ball, stoop ball, etc).

Brooklyn has always been a "cool" place, even before (as my uncle Tony used to put it many years ago) "the 'goddam' yuppies started moving in."

As a young man, I split my time growing up between "home" - two blocks from "the junction" (Flatbush and Nostrand, "center of the known universe") and grandma's walkup in that part of scruffy Red Hook (three doors down from the Cammareri Bros bakery - yes, the one made famous in the movie Moonstruck) now aggrandized as part of oh-too-chic Carroll Gardens. I was fortunate enough to attend one of the very best high schools and colleges in the US (Midwood HS and Brooklyn College), neither of which cost (at that time) anything more than books. And, like much of my family of origin, had I never left, I could've had everything anyone could ever need for a decent day-to-day existence from excellent museums and hospitals to expansive parks to world class sports (damn those Trolley 'Dodgers') to live arts performances and beaches/amusement parks, not to mention some of the finest food imaginable from Peter Luger's and the River Café to Frankies Sputino and the NYT's favorite pizza place (DiFara's on Avenue J) as well as the real Nathan's, all without ever having to cross one of the most beautiful bridges in the world.

Love that view of the Manhattan skyline you always see in stock photos or in movies/TV across the media? It's taken from The Esplanade in Brooklyn Heights.

Have "New York style" cheesecake promised by your local restaurant? That style (or the attempt) is based on Brooklyn's own Juniors. Ever had a deep fried calzone? House of Pizza and Calzone on Union Street.

Sure, Manhattan has a lot going for it and even a visit "upstate" to the Bronx or out to the "Island" (i.e., Queens - if you're from Brooklyn) or to "the Gateway to NJ," Staten Island, has some things worth the time and effort to get there.

But, Brooklyn (once hailed as the fourth largest city in the US)??? fuggedaboutit!!! THAT is where you need to spend your next pre/post cruise visit to NYC.

I love Brooklyn! We stay there when we come to NYC. It's the center of the universe, as far as I'm concerned.

It’s funny to see all these ex-New Yorkers reminisce about the “good old days” in NY and everything being the best ever but they all left NY now (few exceptions noted - like Mura). Why leave that “heaven” if everything there is the best? :D

I spent 10 years in NYC and enjoyed it while there but wild horses couldn’t drag me back there from where I live now :D

It’s funny to see all these ex-New Yorkers reminisce about the “good old days” in NY and everything being the best ever but they all left NY now (few exceptions noted - like Mura). Why leave that “heaven” if everything there is the best? :D

I spent 10 years in NYC and enjoyed it while there but wild horses couldn’t drag me back there from where I live now :D

Growing up in New York and "lived in New York" are very different experiences (as is equally true here in SF).

In any case, I don't remember anyone saying "everything is the best ever" in NYC (or even in Brooklyn). Congestion, weather, cost-of-living and much much more can be extremely challenging. But there are other things that keep many of us returning often to NYC to visit - particularly when it involves friends/family, the performing arts, museums and (for some of us) traditional foods that, for some strange reason, escape widespread duplication in other locations (yes, pizza, deli ...)

Bottom line is that you can love a place and not need to live there - particularly when your home is located somewhere that has its own collection of superlatives.

Growing up in New York and "lived in New York" are very different experiences (as is equally true here in SF).

In any case, I don't remember anyone saying "everything is the best ever" in NYC (or even in Brooklyn). Congestion, weather, cost-of-living and much much more can be extremely challenging. But there are other things that keep many of us returning often to NYC to visit - particularly when it involves friends/family, the performing arts, museums and (for some of us) traditional foods that, for some strange reason, escape widespread duplication in other locations (yes, pizza, deli ...)

Bottom line is that you can love a place and not need to live there - particularly when your home is located somewhere that has its own collection of superlatives.

I find myself reminiscing about New York and I still live here. It's not the same as it was decades ago. We still have amazing museums/theater/opera/music/food, but we are fast losing the small, specialized, local businesses that made the city so unique. Just in the past few weeks we have lost two independent cinemas that didn't show standard Hollywood fare. We are losing our Greek diners. We are losing butchers and bakeries. They are frequently replaced by chain stores and restaurants. This isn't just true for Manhattan but also for many parts of Brooklyn and Queens. And remember the interesting people you would meet on the street, on line at the movies, in the museums? You know, the ones who were curious and well-read and willing to take some chances? The ones who actually looked at art and didn't worry about getting a selfie? Well, now they are leaving the city (either through death or relocation) and being replaced by young banker and business types who make a lot of money, couldn't care less about the great history of NYC, and spend most of their time staring at their iPhones and using social media. They don't look at the architecture, the people, the dogs, the sky, the parks. They are moving into ever-increasingly expensive new high-rises (with no increase in mass transit).

I've loved this city for so many years but I'm starting to look forward to leaving. The New York City of our memories is going fast. It's painful to realize, but that's how I see it. Yes, the city is safer, but it's also far more dull and lacking that edgy, vibrant, "alive-ness".

Besides Midwood '63, I was Brooklyn College '67. Ate many a "cheeseburger special" at the Sugar Bowl.

SF is full of Brooklynites.

Though it hasn't happened recently, one bar, The Buena Vista (originator of Irish Coffee) near Fisherman's Wharf, used to sponsor the annual NYC Street Games Festival (stick ball, box ball, stoop ball, etc).

A Brooklyn College alum who lives in Northern California developed an all natural Gelato that can only be found in his part of California .

A Wingate grad living in the same area as him has an internet blog that is read in 69 countries .The blog primarily deals with politics ,history and movies.

A Brooklyn College alum who lives in Northern California developed an all natural Gelato that can only be found in his part of California .

A Wingate grad living in the same area as him has an internet blog that is read in 69 countries .The blog primarily deals with politics ,history and movies.

I will always remember my first day on the job in SF when, at a meeting with 10 of my "direct reports," six of them indicated that they had graduated from CUNY campuses (including two other BC alums).

Small world indeed!

I will always remember my first day on the job in SF when, at a meeting with 10 of my "direct reports," six of them indicated that they had graduated from CUNY campuses (including two other BC alums).

Small world indeed!

I meet BC alum when traveling no matter where I go .On cruises regardless of where the ship departs from I will meet at last 1 person.

Lenny

I meet BC alum when traveling no matter where I go .On cruises regardless of where the ship departs from I will meet at last 1 person.

Lenny

Yes, but we must consider that up until 1976 , BC did not charge tuition. Small wonder that a great many availed themselves of the services...

Yes, but we must consider that up until 1976 , BC did not charge tuition. Small wonder that a great many availed themselves of the services...

That may be true. However, the BC of the "baby boomer" era had no "open enrollment." And class size/faculty-student ratio was efficaciously restricted. In fact, Brooklyn College was so highly selective that The NY Times once did an editorial praising BC as "the poor man's Harvard." Of course, the BC president's next day letter to the editor corrected that misstep by pointing out that, actually, "Harvard was the rich man's Brooklyn College."

That may be true. However, the BC of the "baby boomer" era had no "open enrollment." And class size/faculty-student ratio was efficaciously restricted. In fact, Brooklyn College was so highly selective that The NY Times once did an editorial praising BC as "the poor man's Harvard." Of course, the BC president's next day letter to the editor corrected that misstep by pointing out that, actually, "Harvard was the rich man's Brooklyn College."

And CCNY was a poor man's MIT... My brother went to BC and I went to CCNY -- neither was an easy entrance.

Now as to best high schools there was only one No #1 and that was Lincoln.

And CCNY was a poor man's MIT... My brother went to BC and I went to CCNY -- neither was an easy entrance.

Let's not go there (although I must admit that there were some mighty fine young ladies who attended Lincoln).

My wife and her sister are graduates of Lincoln.My alma mater ,Wingate was not known for academics ,however among our alum are Senator Barbara Boxer ,Harvard Professor Bert Halperin ,former Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz ,just to name a few.

My wife and her sister are graduates of Lincoln.My alma mater ,Wingate was not known for academics ,however among our alum are Senator Barbara Boxer ,Harvard Professor Bert Halperin,former Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz ,just to name a few.

Small world. My husband went to Lincoln. He still has family living in Warbasse.

Best High School in Brooklyn? Easy.....Brooklyn Tech....number one in scholastic's, number one in athletic's....no contest...:)

That was then...(class of '65)...not sure about nowadays...:rolleyes:

Hey Bob

There's no apostrophe in "scholastics" or "athletics" as used in your post. Perhaps that's why it was called Brooklyn "Tech."

(Just yankin' your chain. Fuggedaboudit!)