Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

1 hour ago, vnb2003 said:

Thank you both!!!  🙂

I have to pay deposit on Tuesday.

Heidi13, if I remember correctly, you will be embarking on Jan. 4th, 2020 and we will be disembarking from Sun that day 🙂

Affirmative, we board Jan 4th.

Have already arranged a handover ceremony with Jim that might involve some thirst quenching. We are getting together on the afternoon of Jan 3rd at the British Pub - The Whale & Ale. Rumour has it we may even visit the Craft Brewery.

Welcome to join us.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, we board Jan 4th.

Have already arranged a handover ceremony with Jim that might involve some thirst quenching. We are getting together on the afternoon of Jan 3rd at the British Pub - The Whale & Ale. Rumour has it we may even visit the Craft Brewery.

Welcome to join us.

Thank you! I might take you on this...🍻

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, doxielover47 said:

Does anyone know if magnetic hooks work on Viking Sun? We took them along on one of our cruises and the walls were not metal so they didn't work.  Lots of added weight if they don't work.  Thanks

Yes they do on some surfaces.  We used Command Adhesive hooks with no problems.  Lighter too. 🍸

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes they do on some surfaces.  We used Command Adhesive hooks with no problems.  Lighter too. 🍸

Found suction hooks that work great on the glass in the bathroom (but not on the walls); better than the closeline for drying. Bought Command Adhesive for our last river cruise and never used them; I didn't even get a chance to check them out. It turned out we just didn't need them--but at least I was prepared!! Have never found magnetic hooks that didn't slide right down the wall when I tested them at home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Found suction hooks that work great on the glass in the bathroom (but not on the walls); better than the closeline for drying. Bought Command Adhesive for our last river cruise and never used them; I didn't even get a chance to check them out. It turned out we just didn't need them--but at least I was prepared!! Have never found magnetic hooks that didn't slide right down the wall when I tested them at home. 

Also a great idea for the bathroom, thanks!

I have some magnetic clips I got from Bed, Bath and Beyond and they worked great on the walls on the Viking Sea. I used them mostly for the excursion tickets and invitations to the M&M, specialty restaurant reservation reminders - things like that. Sometimes I needed more than 1 so they didn’t slide, but they were pretty strong. 

We like to carry 2 strong magnetic hooks so we can hang jackets near the door and lighter clips for the Viking Dailies (I like keeping them all together--probably not a great idea for a world cruise, tho)

I take both magnetic hooks and clips and don't know how I'd do without them!  Jackets, robes, and anything else that can go on a hook, frees up closet space.  The clips were fantastic for keeping all the paperwork neat and in clear view.  I made a chart for all the times at home and locations we would be in and clipped it on the wall.  It was easy to take a quick glance to see what time it was at home for texting or calling, also what time it was at our next port if the time zone was different.  

• Like 1

And for (most) cruisers and crew members going to New Zealand starting Oct. 1, 2019, don't forget to get your electronic travel authority, which is something new.   See:  https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/media-centre/news-notifications/government-confirms-electronic-travel-authority-details

I'm assuming Viking doesn't purchase this for anyone, but I could be wrong.  It's something you download to your smartphone or download to a pc and print.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

7 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

It depends on the cruise. On most cruises Viking doesn't provide Visas, but World Cruises & Grand Voyages, they employ a Visa procurement company to acquire all required Visas, based on Nationality.

Viking also uses a visa procurement company to facilitate purchases of Cuban visa paperwork.  The Viking website had a link to the procurement company's website.  You filled out the form online, paid by credit card, and received a confirmation number.

Representatives of the company were aboard ship at embarkation with the completed forms. Show your ID, and receive the paperwork with a receipt.

And keep in mind that some countries require an actual visa, others just a travel authority, and some nothing.  Sometimes the requirement applies to Americans and sometimes it doesn't.   Names of these documents, and who they apply to (Americans? Canadians? Europeans?) isn't always consistent and things can be confusing.  Some documents can be obtained easily right before travel, others not.  Occasionally a country requires a traveler to pay an entry fee at the airport.  All this can be confusing but usually gets sorted out by the time I travel.  The cruise line, Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic, and websites of embassies can be helpful.

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

And keep in mind that some countries require an actual visa, others just a travel authority, and some nothing.  Sometimes the requirement applies to Americans and sometimes it doesn't.   Names of these documents, and who they apply to (Americans? Canadians? Europeans?) isn't always consistent and things can be confusing.  Some documents can be obtained easily right before travel, others not.  Occasionally a country requires a traveler to pay an entry fee at the airport.  All this can be confusing but usually gets sorted out by the time I travel.  The cruise line, Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic, and websites of embassies can be helpful.

I have found the US Department of State website to be one stop shopping for US citizens seeking information about the countries they will be visiting. Includes Visa requirements and much more such any required vaccinations. 

• Like 1