Musical Theatre

Can you recommend the best line or ships for high quality musical theatre?

How would it compare to Broadway, Toronto or the Westend?

My one cruise was near perfect with the exception of the entertainment. The lounge acts were good but the evening shows in the main theatre were about on par with my kids' high school productions. Is it unrealistic to expect more?

I have the opposite opinion:

Disney has better quality production shows

I say this as a high school and college tech geek. That being said, I have not experienced the Broadway style offerings on the new ships of Royal.

You are not going to get Original London Cast of Phantom anywhere at sea, though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So maybe I'm spoiled. Saw Grease in the 70s, Momma Mia and Phantom in the 90s, all in NYC. Saw We will Rock You in Toronto in this century. They were all better than my kids' high school. Looking for a ship that is better too.

Edited by Sheila NaGeira
Named incorrect musical

So maybe I'm spoiled. Saw Grease in the 70s, Momma Mia and Phantom in the 90s, all in NYC. Saw We will Rock You in Toronto in this century. They were all better than my kids' high school. Looking for a ship that is better too.

I am curious as to where the expectation that a cruse ship can do the same as the above in terms of entertainment quality came from.

Unless you are cruising in a suite, it is very likely that the daily rate of your cruise fare is less than the cost of one single Broadway show ticket. And even if your entire cruse fare was allocated to the entertainment budget there is no way a cruise ship could or would pay the necessary wages to attract singers and dancers of the same quality of those plying their trade in New York or London.

Outside of the examples cited above---which are definitely the exception not the rule--most ships have gone to staging "revue-style"production shows 30 to 40 minutes in length because of the need to run them at least twice, if not three times, in rapid succession each evening. Often the only element performed "live" will be the lead vocals; both the music and background harmonies are on tape.

But it would be interesting to know which cruise line/ship you are using as your baseline as your comparison to the "gold standard" of live theater. Whichever it is I will bet that the responses, should you choose to share, will be:

• 50% of your fellow passengers believe they were actually seeing the equivalent of a Broadway show--and that you need to lower your expectations;
  • The other 50% found the show poorly staged and amateurishly performed--but given the venue and the provider, that was the best that can reasonably be done. So again, expectations need to be realistically low.

I think the theme here is obvious, no?

Bottom line, you won't. Period. The logistics alone of adapting any broadway production to a ship is daunting. We took the behind the scenes tour on Disney( like I said, we are both tech geeks). While impressive, it was woefully lacking in basic things any professional theater takes for granted.

If you want high quality entertainment on the level of Rogers and Hammerstein, stick to the Season in the City.

Can you recommend the best line or ships for high quality musical theatre?

How would it compare to Broadway, Toronto or the Westend?

My one cruise was near perfect with the exception of the entertainment. The lounge acts were good but the evening shows in the main theatre were about on par with my kids' high school productions. Is it unrealistic to expect more?

The newer ships of Royal Caribbean cannot be touched when it comes to entertainment. Mama Mia, Grease, Hairspray, Saturday Night Fever and Cats are playing on the newer ships (Quantum, Oasis and Freedom Class).

I have seen shows on Broadway and in major venues in other large cities (such as Saenger here in NOLA). The acts on board are every bit as good....not to mention how much more comfortable and roomy the theater seats are compared to Broadway.

NCL (only the newest ships) is second, but still not RCI quality. Their stages are smaller and the theaters a little more cramped, so I think the shows suffer a little as a result.

Bottom line, you won't. Period.

Having actually seen some of these shows on Oasis and Freedom Class, I totally disagree. RCI got these shows right, and the performers aren't the standard cruise line singers/dancers. Most have actually performed on Broadway.

The newer ships of Royal Caribbean cannot be touched when it comes to entertainment. Mama Mia, Grease, Hairspray, Saturday Night Fever and Cats are playing on the newer ships (Quantum, Oasis and Freedom Class).

I have seen shows on Broadway and in major venues in other large cities (such as Saenger here in NOLA). The acts on board are every bit as good....not to mention how much more comfortable and roomy the theater seats are compared to Broadway.

NCL (only the newest ships) is second, but still not RCI quality. Their stages are smaller and the theaters a little more cramped, so I think the shows suffer a little as a result.

Having actually seen some of these shows on Oasis and Freedom Class, I totally disagree. RCI got these shows right, and the performers aren't the standard cruise line singers/dancers. Most have actually performed on Broadway.

I agree with this. RCCL has hired some high quality performers for these musicals and put a lot of money into mounting professional quality productions. Also, they hire name comedians you have heard about or seen on TV for the comedy club on these ships.

The only other shows that have blown me away recently on ships were on the MSC Divina - they have some Broadway caliber performers - but the shows are mostly music and dance with some comedy acrobatics as they play to an international crowd. Still the performers are outstanding, including the dancers who are much more synchronized than anything I've seen on any other ship and it is a different show every night. I suspect the MSC Seaside will have outstanding shows in her maiden year.

I've seen the shows on NCL - the Cirque shows are extremely good. The musicals, not so much, unfortunately.

You can come close. Very close. Playbill Travel has partnered with some cruise lines to bring current headliners to the rivers and seas. Check out Playbill Travel for info. Past performers have included Patty Lupone, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Laura Osnes, Andrea Martin, etc. Of course, you won't get a full production, but they will star in concert and also interact with the guests. Part of this NY Times article focuses on Melissa Errico's experience performing at sea, and shows Karen Mason, Melissa, Seth Rudetsky, and Brian Batt chatting informally with the audience from the stage. Crystal has recently engaged for more current broadway stars to be on some cruises.

Of course in order to cruise with Tony winners, you won't be paying bargain prices.

Most cruise line musical theater is about at the level of a good high school or junior college production. And more and more lines are now pre-recording all the tracks which are then supplemented by 4-6 singers on the ship. In a sense, when you see a show on lines like Celebrity, Princess or HAL you are seeing sophisticated Karaoke. The dancers in these shows are generally talented and do OK.

Hank

Thanks all for your responses.

How about music theme cruises? Is the performance quality equivalent to a stadium concert?

My goodness no! You are not talking huge stadiums (with millions of dollars of special equipment/effects) but a cruise ship! Ships do seem to do fine with small venue music...so special cruises such as the Smooth Jazz Cruise works well. A good vocalist can also do quite well on a cruise ship...assuming they do not need electronic enhancement to sound good. We have heard some amazing voices on ships. But you are not going to get anything close to a great Pink Floyd - type band on most ships. We have spent well over 1200 days on cruise ships...and count ourselves fortunate when we hear a show that keeps us in the theater or lounge. On some of our most recent cruises we have actually stopped going to the main production shows...because the cast was nothing special...and I am not a fan of pre-recorded sound tracks for production shows (I call that Karaoke). Nearly all cruise ships used to use live show bands to accompany their shows (with some pre recorded enhancements) but in the past 5 years quite a few lines have totally done away with show bands and the show music is totally pre-recorded in a land-based studio. I have always been amused at cruise ship shows where there are usually 4-6 singers...and perhaps 10 dancers...and the dancers (who are not even miked) lip sync to try and convince the audience that they are singing. Some of the larger RCI and NCL ships do a better job with production shows....but we have no desire to be on those monsters of the seas.

HAL has actually done something pretty cool (which is unusual for HAL) with their BB King concept bands...that are on quite a few of their vessels. This is real live music (nothing is pre recorded) performed by decent musicians/singers. Or course the reaction of many on HAL is that the "music is too loud" or the 9:45 show is too late! :).

Hank

2012 I saw the NCL version of Jersey Boys and I felt it as though I just saw the Jersey Boys. It was great. But, please note, I said the NCL version. Last week I saw the NCL Rock You or something like that performance. It was AWESOME. GREAT songs from my old stompin days! Sly and the Family Stone, Donna Summer, The Who, and tons more.

Yes, Jersey Boys is an example of a Broadway musical that could be performed quite well on a ship. Glad to hear they made it happen.

I'm more interested in live music and good acting than staging. No need for chandeliers dropping or helicopters landing for me.

Bottom line, you won't. Period. The logistics alone of adapting any broadway production to a ship is daunting. We took the behind the scenes tour on Disney( like I said, we are both tech geeks). While impressive, it was woefully lacking in basic things any professional theater takes for granted.

If you want high quality entertainment on the level of Rogers and Hammerstein, stick to the Season in the City.

On one post you say you have not yet experienced a Broadway show on RCI, then you comment here how the production won't be on par. Having not experienced it you are not in a position to critique it. And, as others have said, you would be wrong. While it may not be as quite elaborate as Broadway, the production is quite good. Keep in mind they run their shows for about 5 years each as a result of the complexity of set designs, etc. Perhaps you should cruise on one of the RCI ships that offer them, experience it, and take the behind the scenes tour as well to validate your opinion.

My goodness no! You are not talking huge stadiums (with millions of dollars of special equipment/effects) but a cruise ship! Ships do seem to do fine with small venue music...so special cruises such as the Smooth Jazz Cruise works well. A good vocalist can also do quite well on a cruise ship...assuming they do not need electronic enhancement to sound good. We have heard some amazing voices on ships. But you are not going to get anything close to a great Pink Floyd - type band on most ships. We have spent well over 1200 days on cruise ships...and count ourselves fortunate when we hear a show that keeps us in the theater or lounge. On some of our most recent cruises we have actually stopped going to the main production shows...because the cast was nothing special...and I am not a fan of pre-recorded sound tracks for production shows (I call that Karaoke). Nearly all cruise ships used to use live show bands to accompany their shows (with some pre recorded enhancements) but in the past 5 years quite a few lines have totally done away with show bands and the show music is totally pre-recorded in a land-based studio. I have always been amused at cruise ship shows where there are usually 4-6 singers...and perhaps 10 dancers...and the dancers (who are not even miked) lip sync to try and convince the audience that they are singing. Some of the larger RCI and NCL ships do a better job with production shows....but we have no desire to be on those monsters of the seas.

HAL has actually done something pretty cool (which is unusual for HAL) with their BB King concept bands...that are on quite a few of their vessels. This is real live music (nothing is pre recorded) performed by decent musicians/singers. Or course the reaction of many on HAL is that the "music is too loud" or the 9:45 show is too late! :).

Hank

As mentioned in my last post, I am more interested in good live music than staging. I didn't choose my words well when I wrote "stadium quality". It would be fantastic, but unrealistic, to expect Paul Simon's Graceland or the Rolling Stone's Bigger Bang.

I've been looking at a 2018 Flower Power Cruise and a 70s Rock and Romance Cruise. Many of the bands listed don't have their original musicians. I'm wondering if it will be like hearing an Elvis impersonator? Sorry guys, I know there are some really good Elvises out here. That's just not what I'm looking for this time round.

2012 I saw the NCL version of Jersey Boys and I felt it as though I just saw the Jersey Boys. It was great. But, please note, I said the NCL version. Last week I saw the NCL Rock You or something like that performance. It was AWESOME. GREAT songs from my old stompin days! Sly and the Family Stone, Donna Summer, The Who, and tons more.

We saw those guys from "Oh What a Night" on Breakaway. They were excellent, but it's really more of a Frankie Valli/Four Seasons tribute than a musical. A concert, not a staged show.

I understand that NCL is putting the musical on the Bliss. That should be a different experience.

Is just a matter of taste, but "Rock of Ages" did nothing for me . . . too long, too loud, and too many truncated songs. The horrible seats in the theater only made it worse.

If it doesn't have the original members, then yeah, it's kind of like a tribute band. That being said, we recently saw the Kingston Trio, all of whom are second or third generation performers, and they sounded just like the originals. But Chicago (the band, not the musical) hasn't sounded like the originals in decades.

If it's not going to have the original band members, it's just that, a tribute band. They may sound ok, but there's no way they will sound like the originals. We were on one of those Flower Power cruises, and none of the groups were originals, so to be honest, it was like going to Las Vegas and watching those tribute shows.

Unfortunately, I think you might be asking for, and expecting too much from a cruise ship. Yes, the performers can be good, but it's nothing like going to NYC or seeing a really good Broadway touring group in your home city. And while they might bring on a famous Broadway performer from time to time, they are only on board for a few days, and not weeks on end. For example, on a cruise I was on a number of years ago, they featured Tommy Tune, Donna McKechnie, Andrea Mcardle and a few others who weren't on board at the same time and performed one or two shows before they left the ship and the next performer came on board.

Yes, Jersey Boys is an example of a Broadway musical that could be performed quite well on a ship. Glad to hear they made it happen.

I'm more interested in live music and good acting than staging. No need for chandeliers dropping or helicopters landing for me.

As a native New Yorker who has seen too many musicals on/off Broadway (and still fits in at least a couple of shows every time we return for a visit) let me tell you that your expectations are unrealistic (both in terms of talent and technology).

Regarding technology, cruise ships generally do amazing things given their obvious limitations.

As for talent: With only a few exceptions here and there, most musical theater performers on cruise ships are "wannabes" trying to build a resumé. If they are at the performance level of Broadway or even the touring company of any particular show, that's where you would find them. This is also true of the musicians. Generally quite decent performers, they are mostly (pardon the sports analogy) "utility players" (often preferred for their ability to play multiple instruments).

As for the exceptions:

One of the most enjoyable shows I've ever seen on a cruise ship was a musical story teller (can't remember his name) who did two different performances on an Oceania ship last year. He was an older gentleman who had, literally, grown up on Broadway - starting as an intermission orange drink hawker and working his way up to a well-respected (but now retired) Broadway actor and showman. One of his Oceania shows was a story/song reminiscence of his lifelong family/professional relationship with Ethel Merman. It was simply terrific. I remember telling one of the young performers watching his show to "buy that guy a cocktail or two and ask him a million questions."

On a related subject, we also enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail within earshot of the always stellar string quartet, which appears in several locations (including afternoon tea) throughout the day. And it's nice to have an actual band performing occasionally on the pool deck and in the Horizons Bar (as well as the piano man/woman in Martini's).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On one post you say you have not yet experienced a Broadway show on RCI, then you comment here how the production won't be on par. Having not experienced it you are not in a position to critique it. And, as others have said, you would be wrong. While it may not be as quite elaborate as Broadway, the production is quite good. Keep in mind they run their shows for about 5 years each as a result of the complexity of set designs, etc. Perhaps you should cruise on one of the RCI ships that offer them, experience it, and take the behind the scenes tour as well to validate your opinion.

You are exactly right. I'm always baffled by those who make such bold claims, but have never actually experienced it for themselves. Same goes for post #20. Those posts are dead wrong.

I love Mama Mia and I recently saw it on Allure. It was EXCELLENT. The talent and sets were every bit as good as in the theater. Everyone was on their feet at the end. I can say the same for Hairspray, Chicago, Grease and Saturday Night Fever. I didn't care for Cats but then again, I didn't like it in the theater either.

This is off topic .... sort of. One of the best performances I've seen was Love Letters. 1992. In Boston. Read by Jane Curtain and Rory's Grandfather on Gilmore Girls .... Edward Hermann. My point being, it was an incredibly moving and beautiful play with only 2 people and almost NO scenery. Majority of it is the table and 2 chairs the main characters sit on and read love letters. There are a few times in retrospect that they have scenery.