I Don't Want to Gain 10lbs!

ElizabethR25

For us, the biggest thing is not getting the Cheers! package and taking the stairs. We don't feel the "pressure" to get our 15 drinks/day. We stop by a store before we board to get cans of sparkling water and some flavor packs for water. At home, we might have one glass of wine/beer with dinner, or one mixed drink if we go out to eat. We still order these on the ship, as desired, but don't deviate from what we usually do. So for us, there is no need to suddenly start throwing back drinks to have fun!

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 10/15 and weighed 162 lbs. I decided it was time to get my health in order and went on a "health diet". No counting calories....just relearned everything...and know what to eat so and how to exercise. So, now I'm 118 lbs..healthier than ever and at 68, "hotter" than I've ever been in my life (In fairness...I work with a nutritionist and exercise consultant from the hospital.)

I go to the gym a few times a week, a class or 2, and treadmill. It does burn calories...if you set it at an incline. I burn 400 calories at 2.7 mph....8% incline (it's walking pace) in 52 minutes.

Cruises are my "rumspringa". I eat healthy....don't touch what I wouldn't eat at home....but I allow myself 1-2 treats per day (ice cream, cake). And...I do the treadmill and I walk up the stairs. I've had 5 post cancer cruises....each time I come home carrying a few extra pounds...but I get right back into my routine and within a few days I'm back to my weight.

I don't think the OP is a fat old lady with cancer, but I'm just posting to show that as long as you don't go crazy, even if you put on a little bit...as soon as you get home "watch it" and you'll be fine.

As my dietician says "You have to live too".

Congrats!! Very inspiring. Keep it up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never gained weight on a cruise, and have never felt food-deprived either. Basically I do what I do at home, which is lots of water and 3 meals a day with no snacks. I do get, and enjoy, a dessert in the MDR with dinner but I stay away from the bread basket and get a salad or a healthy soup for my appetizer. I very rarely drink so no Cheers package, just the occasional glass of wine with dinner if I feel like it. I have hit up the gym on our past cruises to do the treadmill or eliptical if I am up before my husband, but mostly what keeps the weight off me on the cruise is walking, walking, walking. We move around the ship a lot, walking the decks and exploring, and same thing in port. If you make good food choices while not depriving yourself, and move around a lot, you will be fine.

Bottom line....a cruise is the easiest place to travel and maintain a healthy diet since they have literally everything...and a gym.

If you don't maintain a healthy life style at home the pounds you gain may be a permanent part of your anatomy, but really, as long as you "eat the non-healthy options" in moderation and go back to your normal routine at home, those pounds drop off fast.

Bottom line....a cruise is the easiest place to travel and maintain a healthy diet since they have literally everything...and a gym.

If you don't maintain a healthy life style at home the pounds you gain may be a permanent part of your anatomy, but really, as long as you "eat the non-healthy options" in moderation and go back to your normal routine at home, those pounds drop off fast.

Personally i blame the alcohol.

At home i drink no more than 2 glasses of Prosecco a week but on the ship it is probably 8 glasses a day so i always put 7lbs on during a 7 night cruise even after using weights in the brilliant gyms on board but fortunately i lose those 7lbs over the next week back home.

I seem to gain 5-8 lbs on a week long cruise no matter what. It seems to be mostly water though. Like many others, my ankles swell on cruises. The salt in the food and in the air may be the culprit. Within in two weeks of being home and my normal routine it's gone. I should probably drink less of those frozen drinks though. I'd rather eat my calories!

Some of those people have health issues that prevent them from climbing stairs without paying a physical toll ... hearts, or breathing, or joint problems like knees or backs.

Of course it's not all the folks that elevator 1 floor but I'd guess it's a good percentage of them.:(

I knew someone was going to do this as soon as I posted it. I'm not talking about the elderly or the disabled.

I see it at my work as well. I work on the 2nd floor and 90% of the people take the elevator. They'll even walk to the other side of the building to get on it...because there are only stairs on our side.

I knew someone was going to do this as soon as I posted it. I'm not talking about the elderly or the disabled.

I see it at my work as well. I work on the 2nd floor and 90% of the people take the elevator. They'll even walk to the other side of the building to get on it...because there are only stairs on our side.

If they walk to the other side of the office for the lift tells me they are frightened of the stairs.My wife fell down some stairs in her office and is very apprehensive of using stairs.

Years ago I decided to change how I live. When I travel I still exercise daily, I still drink tons of water, I still drink very little alcohol, I still eat the same foods..BIG difference is that I don't have to cook and clean up after. :DHubs and I look at cruising as "spa" getaways for us. relax and rejuvenate. Safe journeys

In 15 yrs of cruising I have never gained weight, eat the same way you do at home, never, ever use the elevator, we always stay on deck 7 (whichever deck is in middle of ship) and walk the stairs up and down, always....go to the gym same amount of time you normally would, plus do as much walking as possible in port....it really is not that hard and all the walking, stairs and gym should counter act any extra drinking you may do...you can do it!

If they walk to the other side of the office for the lift tells me they are frightened of the stairs.My wife fell down some stairs in her office and is very apprehensive of using stairs.

Understandable (I stumbled on stairs a few years ago and was out of commission for 6 weeks), but, how often do people fall up the stairs?

Well it's a small building. So I'm talking about instead of walking in, upstairs, and in the office. You walk in, down the hallway, up the elevator, back up the hallway, and in the office. In my department of 10 people..9 are afraid of falling downs stairs I guess.

You will likely put on a few pounds no matter what....but they will come right off in a few days. It will be fluid retention. Since you are a healthy person and exercise at least 4 days a week and I assume eat pretty clean, your body will not be used to the salt and oil they cook in everything. At home I don't even own salt and I have had the same bottle of olive oil for over 6 months (and no butter in the house either). When we cruise, my whole family bloats up by day 3. The good news is that you will be back to normal by day 3 home from the cruise so enjoy and try not to worry!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off a 7 day cruise....checked my scale....

I have always struggled with my weight. I do workout a lot 6-7 days a week. I still need to lose 20 pounds.

BUT I ONLY GAINED ONE POUND! WHOOHOO!

We took the stairs every time. I ate dessert 5or 6 nights but never finished it. We snorkeled, hiked, and toured lots of places. We only had one SeaDay, but I never went to the gym.

I tried to cut most carbs-except dessert. I ate mostly seafood, salads and fruit. I never was deprived. I had 2 glasses of wine every night, and one night a couple frozen drinks (very high calories).

Anyway, just wanted to share...you don't have to gain 10 pounds.

I usually gain a pound or two on the ship, but I think it's just water weight because it is gone within 2 or 3 days of being back home. I take the stairs and try to walk a few miles on the track each day. I'm not a fan of the food, so I eat a lot of salad and fresh fruit. I never feel deprived though. There is no reason that you have to gain weight on a ship.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Forums mobile app

I drink 16 ounces of water first thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything. Get a bunch of bottles of water through Carnival ( I think it's $4.99 for 12) have one ready at the side of your bed and drink it first thing in the morning. You need water, it ups your metabolism and helps alleviate some of the over-indulging in alcoholic drinks.

Give it a shot! Have a great cruise [emoji16]

(Skipped a number of posts, hope I'm not repeating.)

The more one exercises routinely, the more one will need to exercise on a cruise, or seriously count calories. But, being mildly diabetic, I never have a problem on a cruise ship, where I walk a lot more than average, more often during the day/evening, and so on. Plus I'm "positively stressed" nearly always, and that slowly eats away a few more calories. My blood glucose never swings out of normal while I'm cruising, and of course that says I'm burning off the excess carbs and fats quite nicely.

If between exercise periods you spend too much time sitting, reading, people-watching (lol) or whatever, while consistently over-indulging in food and beverage, you could easily add a few pounds. But you don't have to.

(Skipped a number of posts, hope I'm not repeating.)

The more one exercises routinely, the more one will need to exercise on a cruise, or seriously count calories. But, being mildly diabetic, I never have a problem on a cruise ship, where I walk a lot more than average, more often during the day/evening, and so on. Plus I'm "positively stressed" nearly always, and that slowly eats away a few more calories. My blood glucose never swings out of normal while I'm cruising, and of course that says I'm burning off the excess carbs and fats quite nicely.

If between exercise periods you spend too much time sitting, reading, people-watching (lol) or whatever, while consistently over-indulging in food and beverage, you could easily add a few pounds. But you don't have to.

I try and use the weight machines daily but all the prosecco in the DL,CL means i always gain 7lbs in weight on a 7 night cruise and my clothes are tight near the cruise end.Fortunately i tend to lose the weight the following week when i don't drink alcohol.

If you eat the same way you always do, exercise in the gym the same as you always do, take the stairs ALWAYS and walk around in port or stay active in port, you should be good....I do not gain weight on cruises and I am not a big drinker (only 2 or 3 in an evening)....you should be ok

If you eat and drink how and what you want and just relax all day with the only exercise being walking and taking the stairs everywhere you might gain a pound per day. As soon as you're home and back to your normal routine those pounds will be gone within a week so don't worry about it and enjoy yourself.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk