Is it rude to shop your reservation around to different TA's?

So, if you are saying that you test the waters and let your chosen TA choose to match, then it is a bit less cruddy. Still at some point these people are spending time on your behalf and backing you up when things go sideways, and I think just holding them to the bottom dollar is a bit disrespectful. I have brought my TA pricing before I booked from competitions and allowed her a shot at being in the equation, and even when I have spoon fed her the pricing I give her the booking. Beating people down to the last penny is from my perspective, harsh. I have had about 10 TAs in my 59 years on the planet. Some were not of my choosing, group trips or going with others. I used to bowl with a mega TA owner, who booked my cruise charter, but I would never use him for my personal vacations. I went thru several 20 years ago, but when I found one that did all of the things I asked and performed in the clutch, I chose her. I book a lot of vacations with zero TA advice. I am a very independent traveler, but a good TA is worth a bit to me. I can't imagine dealing with RCI when they do the stuff they do on my own... I can not imagine spending hours on the phone.

I really am not judging the people posting on this thread, but.... I do think looking at the absolute lowest cost without respect of what that means is short sighted.

JC

Thank you JC! In theory, all TA's SHOULD be offering you the same price - with the exception of some possible extra discounts or benefits if they have a group on that sailing. The cruise lines cannot technically offer you any fares lower than your TA can get, and TA's are not SUPPOSED to cut, or rebate their commission. The larger online agencies do because 1.) They don't require a ton of staffing if people are just booking online. 2.) They don't provide the level of knowledge and service that a local/human TA does 3.) They cheat the system by calling these rebates something else. (Think big box store gift cards!) and 4.) They get away with it.

You should never pay MORE when using a TA as there is a commission built into every cruise fare, hotel room, tour, etc. If you book through a TA, they get that money. If you book through the cruise line or hotel, they just make that much more on your reservation. Because travel agents are ONLY paid through that commission when you actually book with them, asking for additional rebates and price shopping is essentially asking them to work for free. Would YOU want to work for free? I personally wouldn't.

The worst thing is when someone goes to a TA who consults with them on their likes/dislikes/needs/budget, etc. The TA then spends hours researching and putting together an extensive itinerary for them to match those preferences exactly. Then, the client takes the TA's work to the big box store and tells them exactly what to book - based on the work they had the TA do for them.

Yes, that's what most have reported - very few if any perks from UK TAs.

Some UK TAs have exclusive deals or bundles (incl hotel, flight etc.) from time to time. Otherwise there is very little difference IME.

Where there is a big difference is the quality of service and that is something I consider when choosing TA. The best ones provide a dedicate agent that you get to know over time, respond quickly to quote requests, go the extra mile to resolve problems.

Bob, I am a libertarian when it comes to free choice. People should do whatever they think is right, I just think that they should be reminded that karma can kick them in the jewels, and don't expect us to care.

TA shopping is fine with me. I choose not to.

I think I am winning even if I am not getting the absolute bottom price. :evilsmile:

JC

It just goes around to others though.

TAs don't want to spend time, or don't have time to spend, cause they know there are a lot of tyre kickers, or ones just after the dollar regardless of the service. That approach brings about less service.

No doubt that some travel agents don't get it. I actually have two that I have used for different kinds of vacations. The one I mentioned before who really specializes in cruises, and another that specializes in high end land vacations. If I was booking a trip for a Safari to Africa I would use them over my current primary TA.

My first real Travel Agent was my nephew's wife. She was just beginning as a TA after graduating college. First cruise in 1996 on the Majesty for a week out of Miami. We are flying down a few days ahead of the cruise to drive to Key West. We didn't know much about cruising or anything then including renting cars. So, our flight was delayed due to a snow storm. So instead of landing in Miami at about 3PM we arrived just before midnight. We had a nice B&B booked on Simonton Street. So, we go to the rental car counter and our company was closed not to mentioned off location (I think it was Enterprise), called her, tough luck. I was not happy. Finally figured out a rental car from another company drove to Key West arriving around 5:30AM. Fortunately they left our key in the mail box.

Point is my TA knew our flight was delayed, and should have known that the off site rental wouldn't work with us arriving at midnight and should have changed arrangements, but she had no clue. Still love her, but I would not book with her on a dare.

JC

exactly, i could never get a hold of her when I needed her, which I KNOW they have other clients, but when you REALLY need to talk to someone, especially when in another country or at sea, they've got to come through. We have had REALLY great small companies, like the last one I took, our flight from Barcelona to Miami was cancelled due to the hurricane, so he fixed our rebooking very quick and I appreciated that a lot! But he's another one of those "one person" agencies so they can spread themselves thin sometimes. I think with the big box agencies, they have SO many agents who can handle your booking, it's easier to get results faster.

Thank you JC! In theory, all TA's SHOULD be offering you the same price - with the exception of some possible extra discounts or benefits if they have a group on that sailing. The cruise lines cannot technically offer you any fares lower than your TA can get, and TA's are not SUPPOSED to cut, or rebate their commission. The larger online agencies do because 1.) They don't require a ton of staffing if people are just booking online. 2.) They don't provide the level of knowledge and service that a local/human TA does 3.) They cheat the system by calling these rebates something else. (Think big box store gift cards!) and 4.) They get away with it.

You should never pay MORE when using a TA as there is a commission built into every cruise fare, hotel room, tour, etc. If you book through a TA, they get that money. If you book through the cruise line or hotel, they just make that much more on your reservation. Because travel agents are ONLY paid through that commission when you actually book with them, asking for additional rebates and price shopping is essentially asking them to work for free. Would YOU want to work for free? I personally wouldn't.

The worst thing is when someone goes to a TA who consults with them on their likes/dislikes/needs/budget, etc. The TA then spends hours researching and putting together an extensive itinerary for them to match those preferences exactly. Then, the client takes the TA's work to the big box store and tells them exactly what to book - based on the work they had the TA do for them.

I have used the big box store in kirkland from day one. I did all my research here on cruise critic. Thank you cruise critic members! Have never even called a TA for any advice or to plan my itinerary. This has worked flawlessly for our family these 3.5 years and 26 cruises on royal. Cannot beat their cash card, specialty dinners, free gratuities or whatever promotion they are running.

I have a good friend for over 20 years that runs one of the biggest local travel agencies. He even tells me to book with the big box store. He does get my business for air travel as he has the same price as direct through the airlines.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with shopping around. There's money to be saved with little or no risk. You have control over your reservation. We use an online agency, if we want to change cabins, or get a price drop we just shoot them an e-mail: taken care of. We don't have to track them down or even call them. .

If you have one you've used before and know they are reliable that's great. But we often hear stories of folks who don't get that kind of fast response from a TA, so if one is shopping around to random TA's, there's a bit of a risk. How will you know that person/company is always going to be available to you and/or respond ASAP if you need them?

Do you always pay "asking price" when you buy a house?

Do you negotiate a realtors' fee?

Do you pay sticker price when you purchase a car?

A discount is not the same thing as "free".

When I approach a TA, I tell her I want this room on this ship on this date travelling this itinerary. I get a price quote withing a minute. Not hours, a minute. It's normally 10% off the cruise line price.

Sorry. Booked a suite on Celebrity for a Great Barrier Reef cruise and was curious to find out what benefit it would be to me to transfer to an agent. And no clue where to start. Just trying to get advice.

It is against the rules of this website to mention travel agency names and/or websites.

Sorry. Booked a suite on Celebrity for a Great Barrier Reef cruise and was curious to find out what benefit it would be to me to transfer to an agent. And no clue where to start. Just trying to get advice.

Word of mouth from friends/associates who have had a long term relationship with a travel agent is a good start.

The benefit would be around 10% OBC from a Travel Agent.

Although it is against the rules to mention/discuss specific agents, if you read through these threads on travel agents, you'll find clues which will point you in the right direction.

First, thought, you have to ask yourself if it is worth the work? You can expect a good discounting travel agent to give you slightly less than 10% in OBC, rebates, or discounts. That means it will save you anywhere from maybe a hundred to a whole bunch. Is that worth the time it will take? I would suggest a Great Barrier Reef cruise probably is, especially if you're booking a high cost cabin.

Thank you

Although it is against the rules to mention/discuss specific agents, if you read through these threads on travel agents, you'll find clues which will point you in the right direction.

First, thought, you have to ask yourself if it is worth the work? You can expect a good discounting travel agent to give you slightly less than 10% in OBC, rebates, or discounts. That means it will save you anywhere from maybe a hundred to a whole bunch. Is that worth the time it will take? I would suggest a Great Barrier Reef cruise probably is, especially if you're booking a high cost cabin.

So, if you are saying that you test the waters and let your chosen TA choose to match, then it is a bit less cruddy. Still at some point these people are spending time on your behalf and backing you up when things go sideways, and I think just holding them to the bottom dollar is a bit disrespectful. I have brought my TA pricing before I booked from competitions and allowed her a shot at being in the equation, and even when I have spoon fed her the pricing I give her the booking. Beating people down to the last penny is from my perspective, harsh. I have had about 10 TAs in my 59 years on the planet. Some were not of my choosing, group trips or going with others. I used to bowl with a mega TA owner, who booked my cruise charter, but I would never use him for my personal vacations. I went thru several 20 years ago, but when I found one that did all of the things I asked and performed in the clutch, I chose her. I book a lot of vacations with zero TA advice. I am a very independent traveler, but a good TA is worth a bit to me. I can't imagine dealing with RCI when they do the stuff they do on my own... I can not imagine spending hours on the phone.

I really am not judging the people posting on this thread, but.... I do think looking at the absolute lowest cost without respect of what that means is short sighted.

JC

How is it cruddy when you are giving them a booking with commission? They are deciding what they can afford to give you out of their commission. This is just good business. You owe it to yourself to find what's best for you...they can decide what's best for them. If the personal relationship is most important to you then run with it. I have always been my own travel agent. I do all the work of booking, then transfer to the best deal any agency can make for me(regarding OBC or paid grats etc) ...that is THEIR job. But they don't have to do much, just take over the booking and wait for their money. No way I consider this cruddy or low class. I am the customer after all. They are making money off me. And I would be totally stupid not to take advantage of what they offer me to get my business.

Somehow, just lucky I guess, I have never had any issues with any of our cruises but one that I resolved on my own to great satisfaction, I might add. But never an issue that the agency I chose had to call RCCL....don't know why but most all of our cruises have gone off without a hitch. I must be extremely fortunate.

Edited by BecciBoo