Royal Dutch & Indonesian Teas

jlnprt

Have the Royal Dutch Tea and the Indonesian teas been discontinued? I saw the post with the daily schedule for one of the Alaska cruises and saw that tea was served every day at 3pm, but I did not notice either the Royal Dutch or Indonesian teas. We'll be sailing on the Amsterdam next month.

Just off the Zuiderdam on June 22nd after a 12-night Baltic cruise. During the "classic tea" which was held in the MDR on this cruise, I specifically asked about both the Dutch and Indonesian teas. Our waiter said they have both been discontinued. I'm inclined to believe him as I've not read any recent posts about either of these special teas on CC for months. We had the Dutch tea on Westerdam last Sept so it seems that perhaps this is a 2017 change?

We were on Rotterdam sailing out of Rotterdam last month and there was no Royal Dutch Tea, though all announcements were made in Dutch. We were also on Koningsdam on Koningsdag (King's Day) and there was no Royal Dutch Tea and only a King's Day Tea that day.

On Veendam in May, tea was listed every day at 3pm in the MDR. However, one day there was a "High Tea" listed for the Ocean Bar (might have been 3pm, don't remember). It was tea, with a small pile of crumpets, but it was just a prelude to one of the art auction things. Not well set up either. I grabbed a scone and ran.

It was tea, with a small pile of crumpets, but it was just a prelude to one of the art auction things. Not well set up either. I grabbed a scone and ran.

That's probably what I'd have done, too. Sorry to see the special teas ended, if that's truly what happened.

I can only recommend to voice your disappointment to Ship Services and mention it in the surveys...

Indonesian Tea was one of the things that set HAL apart from other lines, was popular and gave an insigt on some more exotic desserts not served anywhere else.

Thankfully, I am often in Indonesia for work but they are addictive..

On Veendam in May, tea was listed every day at 3pm in the MDR. However, one day there was a "High Tea" listed for the Ocean Bar (might have been 3pm, don't remember). It was tea, with a small pile of crumpets, but it was just a prelude to one of the art auction things. Not well set up either. I grabbed a scone and ran.

i would have ran also. Such a shame.

Some dear friends (who are 5-Star Mariners and know just about everything about HAL) told us before our Alaska cruise two years ago that we must not miss the Royal Dutch Tea. So we joined the queue and slowly shuffled to the entrance of the dining room where we were given plates. As we passed the food a steward placed a bite-sized sausage roll on our plates. Further along a steward gave us another bite-sized item and so forth.

When seated at a table we were given the usual somewhat hot water and a tea-bag with which we were supposed to make a decent cup of tea in our cups. We have discussed tea on HAL a while back so I will say no more.

All those at the table agreed with me when I laughed and said: "Is this really worth standing in a queue for?" Maybe this particular Royal Dutch Tea was not the usual, but if it was surely it will not be missed by many.

My special treat at Indonesian tea was the French Press Sumatran coffee! And those coconut crepes, oh my. But I also liked talking to waiters about their Batik shirts and (in days gone by) head-wraps, each regional and theirs personally which they were happy to explain to us. Maybe still on longer cruises... I hope? m--

• 2 months later...
They did not have any special afternoon teas on our 10-day Zuiderdam cruise in February--just the one served in the Ocean Bar area.

The Ocean Bar is no place go have afternoon tea. Those tiny round tables are not big enough for tea cups, plates etc. One lady on our Alaska cruise spilled the hot tea on herself while juggling the plate and cup.

We had a very nice tea one afternoon in June on Volendam: the baked goodies were very nice, and there were 15 different ones on the three-tier serving piece (five savory, five mildly sweet, and five very sweet...and all were different, not just five of one type). One the downside, there were teabags.

The 2018 Cruise Atlas says "On port days relax at Tea Time. On sea days attend a High Tea Dance, featuring live music and traditional fare" (p22)

We just returned from the Voyage of the Vikings. Afternoon teas in the main dining room were lovely. Sometimes a tiered tray of sandwiches and sweets was served to the two of us.

No Royal Dutch or Indonesian teas, but it was very, very nice.

Barbara

Just returned from a 14 day Alaska cruise on Amsterdam. Wish I had seen this thread before we went; we were looking forward to the Indonesian tea (even telling other cruisers to look out for it) and when it never materialized, we asked about it and were told it was gone. Very disappointing.