Please, no Art Auctions

sandbag7

What's with all the auction hate? I got an original of these dogs playing poker at an art auction. It's going to be worth a fortune.

A HAL Art Auctioneer would probably start bidding at $5000.....for that piece why telling everyone they would be getting a bargain...even at $10,000 :).

Hank

Look at it this way. The art may stink. The bingo is stupid. The fact that people spend money on ships for stuff that when the get home they wonder why they bought. The spas are over priced. People drink way too much and run up huge bar bills.

However, the fools that buy all that junk do keep the prices down for those of us who cruise with an end-of-cruise balance of $10 or $20 and who almost never take ship excursions. They are all subsidizing our cruise.

DON

It would be good if the art auction were run by a non-profit so the money not going to HAL went to a charity. Then I could agree with the "as long as the buyer enjoys it..." perspective. As it is, though, it sounds as though some of these purchases show questionable stewardship of one's financial blessings - and helping to keep cruise fares low would not therefore justify.

A charity option could be a winner for HAL, too.

-

P.s. I like some Kinkade scenes! Come on, you know you do too... ;)

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
extend sentence

SetAnOpenCourse

Cruising in general "shows questionable stewardship of one's financial blessings".

Frankly I'm too old to give a damn how people spend their money .

Spot on :)

• Like 1

Look at it this way. The art may stink. The bingo is stupid. The fact that people spend money on ships for stuff that when the get home they wonder why they bought. The spas are over priced. People drink way too much and run up huge bar bills.

However, the fools that buy all that junk do keep the prices down for those of us who cruise with an end-of-cruise balance of $10 or $20 and who almost never take ship excursions. They are all subsidizing our cruise.

DON

People do stupid things all the time on vacation. It's common knowledge in the hospitality business that people on vacation have packed everything but their common sense ;)

A lot of people don't realize it, but the value of your "Dogs Playing Poker" art is based on the dog and the hand*. The one where the poodle is holding a royal flush while the bulldog has a full house, aces over tens, is worth millions.

Apparently, it's a metaphor for France's victory over England.

*Totally making this up

A lot of people don't realize it, but the value of your "Dogs Playing Poker" art is based on the dog and the hand*. The one where the poodle is holding a royal flush while the bulldog has a full house, aces over tens, is worth millions.

Apparently, it's a metaphor for France's victory over England.

*Totally making this up

Well France did get England to leave the EU. Maybe it was in the cards after all. Now tell me, what do the cards say about it raining the day we get to Bergen Norway.

Well France did get England to leave the EU. Maybe it was in the cards after all. Now tell me, what do the cards say about it raining the day we get to Bergen Norway.

LOL! I think you are on the same cruise as us....and "knock on a bulkhead" we are batting 100% on good weather in Bergen. Been there 5 times and the weather has always been excellent. Wish we could say the same for Iceland :(.

Hank

LOL! I think you are on the same cruise as us....and "knock on a bulkhead" we are batting 100% on good weather in Bergen. Been there 5 times and the weather has always been excellent. Wish we could say the same for Iceland :(.

Hank

If the stars a shining right, the Rotterdam art auction will have another dogs playing poker poster and you can whisper to me what you paid for yours before I make my final and hopefully winning offer. I have the perfect place for this, right next to Billy, the Singing Bass in our basement Tiki Bar.

SetAnOpenCourse

Cruising in general "shows questionable stewardship of one's financial blessings".

Frankly I'm too old to give a damn how people spend their money .

For us cruising is not an expensive vacation, although it helps being able to drive to four embarkation points.

I'm not old but I do care to see people avoid an unwise choice. In this case some are even calling it a scam.

• 2 years later...

My wife and I love the art auctions and the associated seminars that are very interesting and informative

People love Bingo and Trivia which we hate but I don’t complain that it shouldn’t be on the ship.  We love live music but hate the confected shows.

my point is that everybody enjoys different aspects of cruising and people complaining about other people’s enjoyment should get over it and enjoy the parts they like

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ausscottie said:

My wife and I love the art auctions and the associated seminars that are very interesting and informative

People love Bingo and Trivia which we hate but I don’t complain that it shouldn’t be on the ship.  We love live music but hate the confected shows.

my point is that everybody enjoys different aspects of cruising and people complaining about other people’s enjoyment should get over it and enjoy the parts they like

This thread is over 2 years old.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 8:01 AM, michl8705 said:

Agreed! Maybe in the future, they will come up with a better system to invite us to all of these special events, etc., that aren't in the daily pamphlet. Way too much paper waste on our last cruise! I'm happy they had a recycling section in our waste bin, but it still just made the room super cluttered from time to time.

On a previous topic, I read that the vendors for the Spa, jewelry, etc. are private entities, not employed by HAL, so they do their own flyers.  Still a waste of paper, though, I walk in the cabin door with them and straight to the trash can.

On 7/8/2017 at 2:42 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Yes -- there will be art auctions.

Many ships have it in the Ocean Bar and the art is usually placed all around the atrium.

We don't go to them and just stay away from where ever they are going to be.

The time and place will be listed in the daily program.

I had understood at least a year ago that the art people did not have a contract any more.  I have been on Maasdam,  Rotterdam, and Zaandam since then  - No "art" auctions to be seen anywhere,  such a relief - they were always in the way.  However the Jewelry & spa seem to have filled their slots.

4 minutes ago, BJzink said:

I had understood at least a year ago that the art people did not have a contract any more. 

This thread is coming on three years old. The old information is not necessarily still correct.