Not happy with new Nonrefunable deposit rule

Gatormomma

This is a tough one, and hard to have a truly "correct" answer. I can see all sides. I've never lost a deposit, pretty much going with one poster said previously, because i will not book when the deposit is non-refundable. My plans change, depending on work. I'm not giving Princess (or any line) $100 for the privilege of booking a year in advance. If you REALLY want THAT cabin, then I guess you need to choose accordingly. I'm trying NCL in December. $50 deposits, refundable. I booked three cruises. If I don't like what I see in December, I have the option to cancel. If the deposit was non-refundable, I wouldn't have done it for the other two but felt confident enough with my schedule at this point that even if it was non-refundable, I'd have booked it, but $50 I can live with.

I see the issues it could cause with people grabbing up cabins for $1, (which is the cruise lines own stupidity for that one! LOL), but think the lines should be a bit more accommodating... perhaps let's say, deposit refundable up to 2 months prior to final payment, then, you're in for the deposit amount, and I think that should not exceed $100. If they give you the deposit towards an FCC, then that's even better.

So what good is a deposit if you can get it back for any reason?

OTOH, Princess has a much better chance of re-selling my cabin if I cancel (within a reasonable time limit) than I have of predicting my personal situation 2 years out. Yes, it's Princess's game and they make the rules but that doesn't mean I have to like them. ;)

We do get the Princess insurance so would get our deposit back in the event of the cancellation. Of course, after the cost of the insurance, we only get a fraction of the deposit back.

I think you need to decide if you are or you are not going to cruise. If you have a concern about losing your deposit, purchase insurance. Why reserve a cabin if you're "iffy" about going. Just make the decision. You are reserving a cabin that someone else might like.

I don't understand how "having insurance" has anything to do with the nonrefundable deposit. I purchase my insurance on the final payment day so it doesn't matter at that point about the deposit. But if I didn't, I don't believe it pays to have the insurance just to cover $200!

This has certainly been a lively conversation, and I have enjoyed everyone's opinion. I still do not like paying a nonrefundable deposit, but I also understand the travel Industry is changing, and not for the good of the customer....so what else is new!!?

I also totally agree that Platinum and Elite should be exempt until they show abuse of the status.

I think you need to decide if you are or you are not going to cruise. If you have a concern about losing your deposit, purchase insurance. Why reserve a cabin if you're "iffy" about going. Just make the decision. You are reserving a cabin that someone else might like.

Speaking for myself, we have never been "iffy" about booking a cruise. We have only canceled one cruise and that was in order to book a different cruise.

So what good is a deposit if you can get it back for any reason?

For some purchases deposits are not refundable. They are intended as a guarantee that you will be accommodated, often in the order the deposit was received, not as a casual place holder so you can decide later if you want the product. I am in full favor of the cruise lines making deposits non-refundable. Then those "Since there is no risk, I'll book it so somebody else doesn't get it" game players will have to get serious instead of tying up rooms they have little interest in actually purchasing.

I think that the timing should come into play as others have said. Maybe six months out deposit becomes non refundable. However, I think two years out is a bit much. You can't even book airfare that far in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then those "I'll book it because there is no risk" game players will have to get serious instead of tying up rooms they have little interest in actually purchasing.

The cruise lines plays games as much as or even more than the passengers with their constant add ons and sales. How else do you explain the $1 nonrefundable deposit? I booked an itinerary that I have had my eye on. The only thing that stopped me was the RWB sale which was a non refundable deposit of $100 pp. It's too far out to known if we can get the vacation time that week. When I saw that $1 deposit sale I jumped on it. For $2 I can risk it. Now the same cruise is up in price quite a bit, now that the beverage package has been added.

I forgot to mention, how about when the cruise line takes your deposit and then charters or over books the itinerary? It seems to work both ways.

Edited by Iamcruzin

The cruise lines plays games as much as or even more than the passengers with their constant add ons and sales. How else do you explain the $1 nonrefundable deposit? I booked an itinerary that I have had my eye on. The only thing that stopped me was the RWB sale which was a non refundable deposit of $100 pp. It's too far out to known if we can get the vacation time that week. When I saw that $1 deposit sale I jumped on it. For $2 I can risk it. Now the same cruise is up in price quite a bit, now that the beverage package has been added.

It's called "marketing". Virtually every business uses similar techniques. Your local grocer has a sale on broccoli. Your local electronics store has a sale on TVs. Your favorite car manufacture has sales on their best selling models. It how a capitalistic consumer based society works. They offer incentives to move a product, and you decide to purchase or not, depending on those incentives. Not games at all. If you don't like those alleged "games", don't buy. No one is forcing you to make that purchase.

It's called "marketing". Virtually every business uses similar techniques. Your local grocer has a sale on broccoli. Your local electronics store has a sale on TVs. Your favorite car manufacture has sales on their best selling models. It how a capitalistic consumer based society works. They offer incentives to move a product, and you decide to purchase or not, depending on those incentives. Not games at all. If you don't like those alleged "games", don't buy. No one is forcing you to make that purchase.

I'm well aware of marketing. I have been in retail for close to 40 years. However,I objected to the poster insinuating that those who book cruises early out or during promotions are game players. When the cruise line offers a $1 deposit for one day it is clear to me that the game they are playing is to show the shareholders that bookings are up. By limiting the low deposit to a one day sale it encourages people to book willy nilly on impulse rather than taking time to plan it out. I'm sure people booked a few cruises in this short period of time hoping that one of them would work out in the future. I would never book a cruise at any price knowing that I could stand to lose a substantial deposit. To me $200 is substantial, to others it's a drop in a bucket.

. When the cruise line offers a $1 deposit for one day it is clear to me that the game they are playing is to show the shareholders that bookings are up.

While I lack your retail marketing experiences, I've thought the same thing.

We ran out of FCDs so we booked a Spring 2019 cruise during the $1 deposit promotion. The price for that cruise is about 35% higher than the same itinerary & time in 2018. We are firmly committed to that cruise & unless life intervenes we will be on that cruise.

Bookings are artificially up due in part to passengers who plan to cancel & also prices are higher. Shortly after that $1 promotion ended management proudly told investors that bookings have increased & are at higher prices.

I asked a career cruise industry marketing friend if that skews numbers to impress investors...absolutely & it's all part of cruise marketing strategy.

While I lack your retail marketing experiences, I've thought the same thing.

We ran out of FCDs so we booked a Spring 2019 cruise during the $1 deposit promotion. The price for that cruise is about 35% higher than the same itinerary & time in 2018. We are firmly committed to that cruise & unless life intervenes we will be on that cruise.

Bookings are up partly due to passengers who plan to cancel & also prices are higher. Shortly after that $1 promotion ended management proudly told investors that bookings have increased & were at higher prices.

I asked a career cruise marketing friend if that skews numbers to impress investors...absolutely & it's all part of cruise marketing strategy.

Thank you for confirming.

Thank you for confirming.

Effective marketing is a cornerstone to any successful company so that's understandable to me.

My friend said that the overwhelming majority of people don't research things as much as some people on CC. Most passengers find a cruise they want to sail at a reasonable price & are unaware of how things are changing.

Maybe it's a game, maybe it's not. Depends upon how one defines a game. Some cruisers are attracted by beverage packages, others don't want to pay for gratuities, some like reduced deposits or reduced fares for 3rd/4th passengers. Every so often the cruise lines offer a new promo structured to appeal to a different demographic. You don't like to pay for gratuities, wait till next week for the next promo. You want a specialty restaurant, then wait till the week after next. Sooner or late the cruise line will offer a promo that appeals to you. You don't like non-refundable deposits, wait till next month.

However,I objected to the poster insinuating that those who book cruises early out or during promotions are game players .

Exactly, and Not only insinuated but outright accusatory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I LOVE being a game player...every time Princess offers a $1 down payments I book 6 or 7 cruises in the best aft cabins on the most popular cruises.....if anyone would like to bid on one of these cabins feel free to contact me, otherwise I usually release them a week or so prior to final payment but one thing I can say for sure...its FANTASTIC sailing in the best aft cabin staterooms for only a dollar down! hahahahaha.....:D:D:D

I would never book a cruise if the deposit was not refundable. As you get older things happen. Parents get sick, you get sick, your boss changes his mind about letting you off when you are scheduled etc.

If all cruise lines start doing this I would not cruise anymore. That simple. $100 isn't much but you could eat a fairly decent meal out for that.

My two cents...

Well, if you were in the UK, you would never book a cruise because here all deposits on any holiday are non refundable, and only if you are insured and if is a medical condition would you maybe get your deposit back.

If a cruise line can depend on a higher cash base to calculate the expected per diem on a cruise, then there will be more available in the way of overall quality in food, entertainment and other onboard experiences.

You are dreaming if you think that higher income will result in better quality in food, entertainment and other onboard experiences.

What it will result in is higher cruiseline profits.

Profits have never been higher for the major cruise lines. Why? -- the cutbacks in food, entertainment, etc. coupled with higher pricing for cabins. RCCL Corp and Carnival Corp have reported to stock analysts that bookings for the future are better than ever and at higher fares. They also report that onboard expenses are level or only up slightly while onboard revenue from passengers is higher.

The non-refundable deposit issue is a big issue on several boards (this is not just about Princess). But we will jump in the fray on the side of the cruise lines.

Do you also think that once shore excursions are booked (and now you must pay when booked) that they should be non-refundable so the cruise line can count on that income (and of course, make the shore excursions better)?

Going away from the cruise industry, do you think hotel reservations should only be able to be made with non-refundable deposits? Same for car rental reservations? Doctor appointments?

Speaking for myself, we have never been "iffy" about booking a cruise. We have only canceled one cruise and that was in order to book a different cruise.

The cruise that I cancelled was due to a pending operation. We had booked the cruise when the waiting list for the op was 12 months, however it suddenly reduced to 7 months ( due to a change in government policy)

I did manage to get a % of the deposit back from insurance, but not all, due to an excess clause.

The cruise company benefited, they still had my deposit as I had signed a contract 'with intention to buy' and they probably re sold the cabin as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't recall anyone insinuating that people who book early are game players. What I do recall is that several posters commented that some people (note: NOT EARLY BOOKERS) book several cruises in the same time frame. These people are the game players, not the early bookers. Some game players probably book early, and some probably book later. It isn't the timing, but the practice of multiple bookings tying up cabins that will not be purchased that is the problem.

I think it's the term game player that doesn't sit right with me. The cruise line offers many promotions and being a member of Cruise Critic makes it possible to be on top of all of these promotions sometimes before they are even sent out officially by the cruise line. Consumers, probably only CC members are just jockeying for the best deals. I word refer to them as educated consumers not game players. When a cruise line offers a very low deposit it encourages these educated consumers the opportunity to book multi itineraries with the intention of only sailing on the ones that they consider the best deal. I'm booked on two Princess cruises one with the $1 deposit and one with $100 refundable deposit that includes the beverage package. If the one with the dollar deposit doesn't drop in price (even the sale price was more than I would spend) I will cancel it. The second cruise can easily be canceled if another cruise line has a better offer. Personally I would be more compelled to book a cruise with a $500 refundable deposit than with a nonrefundable $100 deposit.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Us be its have had no choice but to pay a NRD for many a year I'm onboard CONSTELLATION now my NRD for this trip was £300 I booked almost a year early and wouldn't of even been able to change itinerary what was annoying if I had booked 4 months later I could of got a better grade stateroom for £90 ppl less wrote to Lisa perlo about it but got no reply. As for my thoughts on this sailing BOY OH BOY HAVE STANDARDS SLIPPED! full review will follow

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app