Foods Not to Eat at the Buffet

Ashley,

I discovered a few cruises ago that I could ask for scrambled eggs made with fresh eggs. A server alerted me to that option after she saw I had abandoned my scrambled yellow stuff sitting on the plate.

We have learned to NOT eat "farmer's breakfasts" anymore. We eat very lightly at the buffet breakfast choosing mostly fruit, cheese, and maybe a small biscuit.

I disagree about the desserts in the buffet. There you can see what they look like. I have found the sugar free options to be quite good!

The desserts! They are usually disappointing in comparison to what you can get in the MDR.

I usually eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet - plus sometimes a midnight snack. Not the buffet- phobe some people are. But not had any issues with the hot breakfast items. Usually stick with soup and salad at lunch.

I spent 3 weeks once touring Australia and New Zealand. It was with a tour group and the standard 'included' breakfast was the breakfast buffet at the hotel. It was the most sustained disappointing breakfasts of my life. I never eat eggs and bacon at home; but it's a treat I'll indulge in on vacation. Every single buffet had a pan that was labeled 'bacon'; but never contained bacon [emoji20]. Just overcooked pieces of thick and chewey meat instead of the crispy crunchy meat candy that is 'proper' bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

Ashley,

I discovered a few cruises ago that I could ask for scrambled eggs made with fresh eggs. A server alerted me to that option after she saw I had abandoned my scrambled yellow stuff sitting on the plate.

We have learned to NOT eat "farmer's breakfasts" anymore. We eat very lightly at the buffet breakfast choosing mostly fruit, cheese, and maybe a small biscuit.

I disagree about the desserts in the buffet. There you can see what they look like. I have found the sugar free options to be quite good!

Which cruise line did you request and receive scrambled eggs made with fresh eggs from the buffet?

Asa aside, I like turkey bacon for its own thing. It is not at all like bacon, but is tasty.

As for what not to eat on Buffett, I'll agree with the scrambled eggs. I'll eat the whole plate of boiled eggs but never scrambled. I do like when buffets have fried eggs as a choice. The scrambled have a weird taste, I suspect they use a bit of ship water instead of milk. I always use milk and while I do like drinking ships water, I wonder if it might give the slightly off taste to the eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My best hint for avoiding problems at any buffet is to clean your hands before going through the line, take your food to the table, and before eating it, go wash your hands again. Hate to think of all those germs on the serving spoons etc.

While there are always some things I don't like and some I do, I just can't eat the scrambled eggs? on most buffets.

If there is an omelet station, just get them to cook the eggs anyway that you could want.

Back to the original post! Things we avoid on the buffets are the scrambled eggs at breakfast and bacon...very greasy. I order a fried egg at the omelet station. At lunch, we avoid any entrees that are swimming in sauces, cream or other wise. Usually avoid the breads as I have seen people pick up a roll, look at it then put it back. We generally enjoy the grill food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Of course there is another way of thinking about "Foods not to eat at the buffet" -- not just particular items, but just, say, 50% of what you MIGHT have put on your plate.

Ther "all you can eat" nature of the buffet seems to tempt a lot of people to do just that: put all they can eat on their plates.

I don't know that there is anything I "avoid". There are somethings that I may not find appealing at that moment. But, the next day I might try it. Am curious what makes an item one to avoid. Is there something about them that I need to know?

I don't know that there is anything I "avoid".

There are somethings that I may not find appealing at that moment.

But, the next day I might try it. Am curious what makes an item one to avoid.

Is there something about them that I need to know?

Reminds me of a quote from a dear friend of mine, that weighs about 350lbs.,

"There's only two things that I don't like; Lima beans and... I don't remember the other.":D

Reminds me of a quote from a dear friend of mine, that weighs about 350lbs.,

"There's only two things that I don't like; Lima beans and... I don't remember the other.":D

Actually, having read your comment, there is something I do avoid (not just at the buffet but in general). PEAS. I think it comes from feeding my kids baby food peas mush.

What do you think a rasher of bacon is?

It is a single slice.

I was curious about what a "rasher" is actually defined as so I looked it up. You are partially correct.

A. Per : http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rasher

noun 1. a thin slice of bacon or ham for frying or broiling.

2. a portion or serving of bacon, usually three or four slices.

B. Per: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rasher

noun

A thin slice of bacon.

‘two rashers of lean bacon’

‘he cut into one of the rashers on his plate’

C. Per: http://www.yourdictionary.com/rasher

noun

1. The definition of a rasher is a portion or slice of bacon or ham.
    An example of a rasher is the three slices of bacon served with an English breakfast.

So, out of this whole thing, I learned something that I did not know before (that a rasher can be of bacon or ham) and one thing that I did know before (that some people can really get worked up about some of the most useless stuff in the world.) To each his own! For the supposedly most intelligent life form on this planet, we sure are funny life forms. Oh, well, I still like cruising. :D

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

I'm with the other posters when it comes to the buffet desserts looking better than they taste. I'm not a fan of the chocolate buffet for the same reason, so it doesn't break my heart when I miss it...which says a lot since I'm a chocoholic.

Some of the desserts can be hit or miss. The cookies are generally okay, but sometimes some of the cakes offered can be a little bland. If you ever see cake pops, those little round balls of iced cake on a stick, skip them. They're not very good.

Any dessert that isn't cookies or ice cream. Unless you like air-cake; in which case, take any dessert you like the looks of as they all taste the same... like air.

I can't say that we have found anything worth avoiding in the buffet. Perhaps some of the desserts were a little bland, and the little milk cartons tend to expire on the last day of the cruise which is annoying, I like fresh milk.

But as for bacon - 'English' bacon and Canadian bacon are not the same. Canadian bacon typically does not have the 'tail' piece that a slice of English back bacon would. And what passes for bacon here in America is readily available in England, as streaky bacon. Me, I'm all about the turkey bacon because I can't eat pork, so it's a close second for me.