Foods Not to Eat at the Buffet

I always thought the buffet scrambled eggs were from powdered or "reconstituted" eggs, which I suppose is another form of liquid eggs. Either way, liquid eggs sure makes sense when you think of the quantities stored. I suspect that and cost is why commercial bakeries use them. Still, they are a processed food with preservative added if that makes a difference.

Never said otherwise

I was replying to PATTBENATAR

I guess next time on a cruise ask what they use

To be fair I did not think you had originally described Eggbeaters. You talked about eggs taken out of their shells and stored in cardboard boxes. I did not read that the same as the processed egg whites. I guess because they contain eggs as the primary ingredient, then Egg Beaters are eggs. But they sure aren't the same. :)

My slip up - but there are pre-cracked eggs, Eggbeaters may not be whole eggs, but they are liquid eggs; and Rembrandt Foods - and other brands makes liquid whole eggs - with a shelf life of up,to 12 weeks refrigerated just above freezing --yes in cardboard cartons - with plastic coating just like milk cartons. Even Walmart carries liquid eggs - I cannot recall brand name - because I'll be damned if I'll ever buy them - or eat them anywhere. I suspect that what you get as scrambled eggs on many cruise ships are such pre-cracked eggs - or reconstituted powdered eggs

We never eat in the MDR, only the buffet or room service for us. I usually avoid the desserts - they look fantastic, but aren't usually good. That's why we board with a small stash of chocolates of some kind. Also, the lemonade is horrid. Other than those, eh, I may or may not like it, but wouldn't avoid it. I

Clearly you have not had 'proper' bacon (English/Canadian back bacon, grilled and not cremated).

(stands by for incoming...:rolleyes:)

Agreed, grilled, properly sliced back bacon is great. But why compare it with absurdly sliced (paper thin) over-cooked side bacon.

Good, thick sliced side bacon cooked properly : baked or fried, and not overlooked is a whole lot better than paper thin, burnt back bacon.

Why try to compare apples and toadstools?

Agreed, grilled, properly sliced back bacon is great. But why compare it with absurdly sliced (paper thin) over-cooked side bacon.

Good, thick sliced side bacon cooked properly : baked or fried, and not overlooked is a whole lot better than paper thin, burnt back bacon.

Why try to compare apples and toadstools?

Well at least we have progressed from 'faux' bacon to 'sort of' bacon to 'proper' bacon.

Education is a slow process.

You US folks have just about sorted out your beer issues - cheese needs some work yet - as for Marmite, that is a long haul...;)

Hi there. I'm working on an article for Cruise Critic about foods to avoid at the buffet, and I figured I'd ask our awesome members for some input. Are there items you avoid? If so, what are they, and why do you avoid them? Thanks in advance!

Ashley - wow, this is a subject stirrer. Anyway, we avoid the following in buffet with reasons:

Buffet coffee - pre brewed and dreadful on all cruise lines

Buffet lemonade / iced tea: watery and not particularly nice (tho DH drinks these)

Anything in buffet that other PAX can handle with fingers - varies by cruise lines, but can be sandwiches, cold meat & cheeses etc. P&O Australia, HAL & Celebrity have great buffets at present ( serving food)

Buffet desserts - most look good, but fail to meet the promise!!

There's my 2c worth [emoji41]

Rose

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well at least we have progressed from 'faux' bacon to 'sort of' bacon to 'proper' bacon.

You US folks have just about sorted out your beer issues - cheese needs some work yet - as for Marmite, that is a long haul...;)

Aaaaah! - Marmite: a long haul indeed; one, I suppose, on a parallel course with Vegemite.

We look for fresh looking salads items we can fix ourselves a salad, roasted meats we can made a sandwich with using fresh baked bread. If something looks old we ask that it be replaced. We do room service for breakfast so do not do buffet for breakfast... We avoid casserole type items primarily because you do not know what is in them.

I don't think so. I'm still trying to figure out "lite" beer, and "peak of freshness dating" on beer. How does that make it better?

Clearly you have not had 'proper' bacon (English/Canadian back bacon, grilled and not cremated).

(stands by for incoming...:rolleyes:)

They don't always do that nicely either. I usually give up eating bacon on cruise ships.

Also don't care for brussel sprouts. Seems that keeping them in a moist, warm environment makes them even more metallic tasting.

I'm fairly certain they use frozen brussels sprouts. They are disgusting. Brussels sprouts are only nice when they are fresh, cooked quickly, and served immediately.

Carnival buffet.

Eggs Benedict. Day one...made correctly ...day two, made with turkey. Day three, made with hot dogs. Day four, left over prime rib. Day five..FRENCH FRIES!!!!! I kid you not. This was the Splendor 15 day cruise to Hawaii. Every day they had a different item in it. [emoji35]

Always amazes me, eggs benedict is my definition made with Ham. The others may have various names, Eggs Royale, Eggs Florataine etc.

I don't think so. I'm still trying to figure out "lite" beer, and "peak of freshness dating" on beer. How does that make it better?

I was referring to the greater availability of IPAs, summer ales etc. in US now.

Lite = tasteless IMHO.

I guess 'peak of freshness dating' would be pertinent for any beers that are still live.

I'm fairly certain they use frozen brussels sprouts. They are disgusting. Brussels sprouts are only nice when they are fresh, cooked quickly, and served immediately.

Brussels sprouts need cloaking - fresh, cooked quickly, and served immediately is only part of the story: they need maple syrup and chopped walnuts to approach edibility.