3 wine questions

Ginnyfyr

1) We will be sailing on Coral to Alaska next month and I see that they don't have a Vines bar. Is there any particular bar that's recommended for wine lovers?

2) We will likely purchase the all inclusive drink package. We've had it in the past and I recall there was a 40% discount on bottles of wine under $100. What I can't recall is if we were able to get any discounts on bottles of wine OVER $100. My husband is a wine enthusiast and will buy whatever wine strikes his fancy (well, within reason, lol) so we're wondering if anyone has had luck getting that 40% discount (or any discount) applied to bottles over $100?

3) Does anyone have any recent wine lists from Coral specifically?

Thanks very much for any help! Cheers!

My experiences have been that wine lists do not vary by Princess ship.

Here's a link to a wine list that basically is what we experienced earlier this year. It compares prices for purchasing onboard & bringing wine on the ship. There are a couple of mistakes but it's a good planning tool.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=372485&d=1451797733

1) We will be sailing on Coral to Alaska next month and I see that they don't have a Vines bar. Is there any particular bar that's recommended for wine lovers?

2) We will likely purchase the all inclusive drink package. We've had it in the past and I recall there was a 40% discount on bottles of wine under $100. What I can't recall is if we were able to get any discounts on bottles of wine OVER $100. My husband is a wine enthusiast and will buy whatever wine strikes his fancy (well, within reason, lol) so we're wondering if anyone has had luck getting that 40% discount (or any discount) applied to bottles over $100?

3) Does anyone have any recent wine lists from Coral specifically?

Thanks very much for any help! Cheers!

Sorry, no recent experience on the Coral

If you want a wine over $100, bring it on board. You each get one bottle per person. There is no discount for bottles over $100. It also should mean that the mark up is not as high as the other bottles, but we don't buy expensive bottles on cruise ships.

We have been known to pay the corkage fee on a couple of bottles even though we get the AIBP because we can bring on a few $100 bottle to enjoy on the cruise

We like a bottle of Cliquot every now and then and have ordered a few bottles on Princess during a cruise before they had the AIB package available. It's now priced at $103 a bottle onboard, so no longer qualifies for the 40% discount on AIB. One can buy a bottle at Costco for around $42, so given Princess's bulk purchasing power which means they would pay a lot less than that, there is still a pretty spectacular markup going on here on one of their "higher" priced wines.

We like a bottle of Cliquot every now and then and have ordered a few bottles on Princess during a cruise before they had the AIB package available. It's now priced at $103 a bottle onboard, so no longer qualifies for the 40% discount on AIB. One can buy a bottle at Costco for around $42, so given Princess's bulk purchasing power which means they would pay a lot less than that, there is still a pretty spectacular markup going on here on one of their "higher" priced wines.

They raised prices since I last ordered it [emoji19]

Ugh!! So annoying!!

There are not many decent bottles under $100 left!!! Grrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a link to a wine list that basically is what we experienced earlier this year. It compares prices for purchasing onboard & bringing wine on the ship. There are a couple of mistakes but it's a good planning tool.

That's super helpful! Thanks very much!

You can get some of the better wines by the glass at Crooner's. Since there's no Vines, they serve a few of them there. In the evenings, they can send a runner over to Sabatini's and get you a glass of wine from that list too.

Thank you! I hadn't even thought about Sabatini's having a different wine list. Great idea!

Thank you to everyone who suggested bringing our own wine on; I hadn't really considered it as we would have to check it in our luggage and fly across the country with it. We likely won't have time to stop on our way to the ship to buy any (we're stuck flying in the day we sail due to a work commitment that my husband couldn't get out of so we booked through e-z air). We are sailing out of Vancouver so perhaps I'll do some Googling tonight and see if there are any liquor stores within a quick walk from Canada Place (the only one I've been to in Vancouver is definitely not walking distance).

On Crown in late March, we had AIBP and found best "values" for reds (considering the 40% discount) to be Cabernets by Silverado and Simi Landslide, and Seghesio Zinfandel. Vines or Sabatinis may also have some good values not on the normal list. If you want "high end" you probably should just carry it on and pay the corkage.

Thank you! I hadn't even thought about Sabatini's having a different wine list. Great idea!

Thank you to everyone who suggested bringing our own wine on; I hadn't really considered it as we would have to check it in our luggage and fly across the country with it. We likely won't have time to stop on our way to the ship to buy any (we're stuck flying in the day we sail due to a work commitment that my husband couldn't get out of so we booked through e-z air). We are sailing out of Vancouver so perhaps I'll do some Googling tonight and see if there are any liquor stores within a quick walk from Canada Place (the only one I've been to in Vancouver is definitely not walking distance).

If weight isn't your concern in regard to flying with wine you might check out THIS ITEM. I have used them in the past. When checking reviews for this sort of thing I found that most of the leaked. The reviews and demonstrations for this particular product claimed (and showed) complete absorption in the case of breakage. Obviously if your concern is weight in your baggage this isn't relevant.

Note: If you click to change from "original color" to "white" the price goes down significantly. I got the white ones and have used them without a problem. Of course I didn't have any breakage...

thank you so much for this link,very helpfu.:)

thank you so much for this link,very helpfu.:)

Please note that this spreadsheet doesn't offer a comparison when using the AIBP which includes the gratuity in the price and also offers a 40% discount off of any bottle of wine under $100. In almost all instances it comes out cheaper with the 40% discount from the AIBP as compared to bringing on your own and paying the corkage.

Edited by Thrak

If weight isn't your concern in regard to flying with wine you might check out THIS ITEM. I have used them in the past. When checking reviews for this sort of thing I found that most of the leaked. The reviews and demonstrations for this particular product claimed (and showed) complete absorption in the case of breakage. Obviously if your concern is weight in your baggage this isn't relevant.

Note: If you click to change from "original color" to "white" the price goes down significantly. I got the white ones and have used them without a problem. Of course I didn't have any breakage...

That's really cool! Thanks for the info! We have been using Wine Skins (plastic bottle shaped packaging lined with bubble wrap) for years and never had a problem (knock wood) but that product would be worth checking out!

We were on the Coral 7/15. We had an Opus One and Dom for a champagne. Ask for Marian the head manger in the dining room. He had some special wines that were not on the list and not in the AIBP, but were wonderful wines. Made the trip better. But you will pay for them. We do not know Spanish wines and it was exceptional.

What is AIBP? I have not been on Princess since 2012. Thanks.

All Inclusive Beverage Package.

ANY drink of any kind that is $10 or less. This includes almost every drink on Princess ships. It also includes a 40% discount on any bottle of wine under $100. The wine (when purchased by the bottle) is free to share with anybody. The other drinks under the AIBP are not to be shared.

We were on the Coral 7/15. We had an Opus One and Dom for a champagne. Ask for Marian the head manger in the dining room. He had some special wines that were not on the list and not in the AIBP, but were wonderful wines. Made the trip better. But you will pay for them. We do not know Spanish wines and it was exceptional.

Hubby will be happy to know they have Opus One! It's one of our favourites. That "other" wine list is the one he's always on the lookout for. Thank you for the name of the head manager - even if we do bring on some wine, hubby will likely still search him out to see what he's hiding, lol.

It's nice to read that you feel there is still some relevance to the list I researched and prepared in November 2015. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to update it since then and no new Princess data to work with. My wife and daughter are doing a 5-nighter on CROWN in November (8-13) and I will ask them to get copies or photos of full wine list and then I will post up a new one. The mistakes you refer to are no doubt due to passage of time and changing wine selections. Wife and I will be on a 60-day next January, so I can work on any updates then as well. If anyone can send me a CURRENT full wine menu, then I can update. November might be better as the fall season is like a new year and perhaps it will be more up-to-date by then.

Please note that this spreadsheet doesn't offer a comparison when using the AIBP which includes the gratuity in the price and also offers a 40% discount off of any bottle of wine under $100. In almost all instances it comes out cheaper with the 40% discount from the AIBP as compared to bringing on your own and paying the corkage.

Agree - I would think a 40% discount off any on-board selection would have to beat almost all wines offered compared to buying at retail and playing $15 corkage. The list wasn't intended to compare to AIBP. In fact, I was inspired to do it in part because another CC member had created an analysis sheet for buying drinks over the course of a cruise compared to purchasing an AIBP and where the individual's break-even point is. That and my interest in wine, led me to analyze and prove to myself that, generally, one is better off to pre-purchase wine and carry it on board, paying the corkage. Another advantage is one can select wines one knows and likes at a store like Total Wines in FLL.

A lot of us don't find the AIBP to be economical. That said, it's great for those folks it works for. I hope I can get the info this fall and have a new up-to-date listing posted around mid-November.

It's nice to read that you feel there is still some relevance to the list I researched and prepared in November 2015. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to update it since then and no new Princess data to work with. My wife and daughter are doing a 5-nighter on CROWN in November (8-13) and I will ask them to get copies or photos of full wine list and then I will post up a new one. The mistakes you refer to are no doubt due to passage of time and changing wine selections. Wife and I will be on a 60-day next January, so I can work on any updates then as well. If anyone can send me a CURRENT full wine menu, then I can update. November might be better as the fall season is like a new year and perhaps it will be more up-to-date by then.

The effort you put into the spreadsheet comparisons have helped many passengers...thanks!

We sailed the Star in January & for the most part the wine list hasn't changed.

During a discussion about Super Tuscan wines someone noticed the Tignanello prices were incorrect: onboard it's $115 & not $42; TW it's $90-$100 and not $18.

If you get a chance to update your list, I'll watch for it in the future.

There's a BC liquor store at Alberni and Bute (786 Bute), which is walking distance from Canada Place. There is also the Sutton Place Wine Merchant at 855 Burrard. It's perhaps a 20 minute walk from Canada Place.

There's a BC liquor store at Alberni and Bute (786 Bute), which is walking distance from Canada Place. There is also the Sutton Place Wine Merchant at 855 Burrard. It's perhaps a 20 minute walk from Canada Place.

Canadian wine prices really freak me out! I can get a nice bottle of wine in the US and then pay the $15 corkage fee on Princess and still come out cheaper than buying wine in Vancouver! (Just spent 7 weeks on the road and 6 of those were in Canada. The prices freaked me out but they didn't stop me from buying a lot of beer, wine, and liquor. ;p)

Edit: To be fair the prices in Alaska were just as high. :eek:

Canadian wine prices really freak me out! I can get a nice bottle of wine in the US and then pay the $15 corkage fee on Princess and still come out cheaper than buying wine in Vancouver! (Just spent 7 weeks on the road and 6 of those were in Canada. The prices freaked me out but they didn't stop me from buying a lot of beer, wine, and liquor. ;p) Edit: To be fair the prices in Alaska were just as high. :eek:

Totally agree! One of my favorite things about cruising out of Florida is going to Total Wine BEFORE we get onboard. The "sticker shock" is actually a positive thing for us Canadians! :D