Galveston weather concerns

But in your area, isn't that because of possible hurricane Irma?

I'd guess it's distribution issues. There are no good long-term predictions yet on where Irma is going (I vote for out to sea!) and in any case, it will be at least a week before it would be close to Florida.

The railroad commissioner issued a statement saying that we have no fuel shortage - people just panicked. So now we have to wait for the tankers to make their calls. crazy! becci - glad we have our Prius...or is that Priiii? :)

No kidding, Todd came home down our rd on the ECO mode on battery or he wouldn't have made it....this is just crazy! News here is this rush will be over by Sunday. Hope so. Wonder what would happen in the event of a Super catastrophe, like nationwide grid gets knocked out or something:o. I don't dare even start up the truck. We had 2 Prius until 3 months ago when I traded mine in on a Tacoma, you really need a truck out in the country, hauling and what not. But boy do I miss the Prius....loved that car!

I don't think so as it is so far out right now. Basically part of shortages in the Southeast from what I am reading about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I filled up last week. I always fill up a few days before any Gulf storm. No reason for me to add gas for another few days. Might get gas on Wednesday if Irma looks like an issue but delivery issues should be gone by then. Problem is once someone hears shortage, everyone runs and tops off if they need it or not. The major southeast pipeline is supposed to be back up on Sunday or Monday. Still a lot of gas inventory just can't get it to stations as fast as drivers are using it..

For Tampa, they have a huge gas storage facility that takes care of most of central Florida. It usually has enough fuel to last two to three weeks without deliveries from Texas. (Learned about that during Charlie) But if everyone tops off, tanker trucks can't deliver fast enough to keep the stations filled.

We're also in the Katy area. I had heard about the shortages in DFW area last night so went to fill up this morning, no problem. As the news about the shortages elsewhere got out, the gas started running out everywhere by late afternoon. Most of us have barely left our homes for the last week, plus the gas stations have been closed the whole time too, so I guess we were just late to the party here. I think the fuel shortage may also be a (small) contributing factor in the decision to keep schools closed another week.

I've read at least 3 refineries in southern Texas are not operating. Therefore price increases and sporadic shortages, it's doubtful Irma has anything to do with it. That could change though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are at least three, including the largest one in the US, if not the world, that are shut down and it will take time to get them restarted. Of even more concern is that two large pipeline systems from the Gulf area are also shut down. These two systems supply fuel of various types to the entire southeast (N. C. and south) from what I understand/remember reading. I read today that these combinations of issues will cause the biggest fuel problem in US history. I wish I could remember where I read all of this so I could provide a link, but I cannot. I live in Houston and may have read it in our paper. Also, we are running short on gasoline also. My wife had to drive to multiple places to find one that had fuel.

In anycase, the entire country is going to have serious fuel problems. There is a reason that Houston is known as the energy capital of the world.

Today's Update...8-31-2017...Getting Into and Out of Galveston......

Gasoline is Fast Becoming Unavailable in Texas..... --

Re: Most places in Dallas/Richardson/Plano/Mckinney are out of gasoline. Diesel still widely available. $2.50 is the prevailing price but regular is uniformly out. So $2.90 premium is what you get. I filled up before the hurricane landed. Not sure how the school bus logistics will work, though. --

Modern civilization appears to be very robust but is actually very fragile and depends completely upon readily available gasoline, diesel, electricity, pure water supplies and operating sewer plants.

Remove any one of those key components and chaos happens immediately.

This is why the EMP threat is considered Doomsday. And I absolutely agree that it would be.

Remove any of those components listed above and civilization panics and immediately goes into hysterics.

In San Antonio, we have 2 vehicles. I filled up one yesterday when all was still normal and calm. The other was only half full. So, hearing some news of lines forming I went to the 3 big gas stations near my house. All already had.. no gasoline.

I then went to pick up my grand kids from school to take them to their house.

I am normally gone 1 hour and 15 minutes each day to do this. Today it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Most gas stations already have no gas but any that do...then lines immediately form and these gas lines then spill out into the street for blocks and take out a traffic lane, so traffic immediately becomes snarled. Some in line won't make it to the pumps before the gas is depleted.

The school districts all issued alerts to parents and the media that due to traffic jams forming around every gas station still having fuel, kids would be 45-60 minutes late getting home. Er, I saw a school bus still dropping kids at 6:45 pm. And when the bus fuel supplies are depleted???

Home school???

Many here will remember the gas lines of the 1970's...I sure do...today in San Antonio and Dallas were just like that. A friend who travels the rural areas for a car parts dealer said the small towns are already mostly out of fuel because city folks drove out into the country and drained them dry. It is a full blown panic.

I pity anyone who had low gas supplies in any vehicle today after 10 am. That vehicle is now worthless.

Of course the Mayor went on TV and said, "Don't fill up if you don't need gas." Yeah, right.

Soon we will see fill on "alternate days based on plate number" and "no more than 10 gallons per purchase"...watch and see...

Because of the large amount of refinery capacity idled by Harvey...this could spread outside of Texas very soon...

Good luck all...( If you are in Texas and have a vehicle that is not filled to capacity...do that...now.)

Today's Update...8-31-2017...Getting Into and Out of Galveston......

Gasoline is Fast Becoming Unavailable in Texas..... --

Re: Most places in Dallas/Richardson/Plano/Mckinney are out of gasoline. Diesel still widely available. $2.50 is the prevailing price but regular is uniformly out. So $2.90 premium is what you get. I filled up before the hurricane landed. Not sure how the school bus logistics will work, though. --

Modern civilization appears to be very robust but is actually very fragile and depends completely upon readily available gasoline, diesel, electricity, pure water supplies and operating sewer plants.

Remove any one of those key components and chaos happens immediately.

This is why the EMP threat is considered Doomsday. And I absolutely agree that it would be.

Remove any of those components listed above and civilization panics and immediately goes into hysterics.

In San Antonio, we have 2 vehicles. I filled up one yesterday when all was still normal and calm. The other was only half full. So, hearing some news of lines forming I went to the 3 big gas stations near my house. All already had.. no gasoline.

I then went to pick up my grand kids from school to take them to their house.

I am normally gone 1 hour and 15 minutes each day to do this. Today it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Most gas stations already have no gas but any that do...then lines immediately form and these gas lines then spill out into the street for blocks and take out a traffic lane, so traffic immediately becomes snarled. Some in line won't make it to the pumps before the gas is depleted.

The school districts all issued alerts to parents and the media that due to traffic jams forming around every gas station still having fuel, kids would be 45-60 minutes late getting home. Er, I saw a school bus still dropping kids at 6:45 pm. And when the bus fuel supplies are depleted???

Home school???

Many here will remember the gas lines of the 1970's...I sure do...today in San Antonio and Dallas were just like that. A friend who travels the rural areas for a car parts dealer said the small towns are already mostly out of fuel because city folks drove out into the country and drained them dry. It is a full blown panic.

I pity anyone who had low gas supplies in any vehicle today after 10 am. That vehicle is now worthless.

Of course the Mayor went on TV and said, "Don't fill up if you don't need gas." Yeah, right.

Soon we will see fill on "alternate days based on plate number" and "no more than 10 gallons per purchase"...watch and see...

Because of the large amount of refinery capacity idled by Harvey...this could spread outside of Texas very soon...

Good luck all...( If you are in Texas and have a vehicle that is not filled to capacity...do that...now.)

We live in League City which is about halfway between downtown Houston and downtown Galveston.

So for our small area, things are almost "normal," at least on the outside.

The terrible flooding in Beaumont and Port Arthur (east of Houston, near the border with Louisiana) was from 25" of rain in 24 hours. The time the storm spent there was when it was originally predicted to be right over our area, so their misfortune prevented big problems here, an area that already had 38" of rain over a five day period.

Caribill, I live in the Beaumont - Port Arthur area, and you are so right. it was a huge volume of rain in 24 hours. i think our totals were 47" over 4 days. At this time, water rescues are still a reality. it's hard to comprehend the large area impacted. I am just numb. I am so glad your area is starting to have basic services available. I understand your comment "on the outside". Prayers to you, and to all impacted.

For any Liberty cruisers that are trying to drive East to Louisiana when you disembark - please be aware that I-10 towards Louisiana is closed in several places between Winnie and Beaumont due to flooding. We are not at the point where basic services have been restored in this area. The rescues from flooded homes rightly have to be the immediate concern.

Prayers to all trying to get home. PLEASE be safe!

A sad story , a guy (Forest) in Dallas got up yesterday. His neighbor told him about his favorite gas station was running low on Gas, so he jump in his car and drove down to fill his car up. While Forest waited to fill up he looked at his fuel gage 7/8 of a tank, this won't take long. Well before he got to the pump they ran out. So Forest headed out to find a station that had gas, in the mean time Forest was hunger so he stopped at McDonald's while waiting on his Big Mac he told everyone the world was running out of gas, the cooks knew he only had a half of tank ran out the back door to fill his car up, hence Forest didn't get his Big Mac.

So Forest spent the rest of the day looking for gas only to find all the gas stations he went too were out too. Well it was getting dark Forest headed home, as Forest pulled into his driveway he look [emoji102] down at his gas gauge as he pull into his garage 1/4 of a tank, so what did Forest learn from his day looking for Gas?

Forest was thinking to himself "......... I should have went to Burger King.

The End

My daughter-in-law has been notified that her flight from PHL to Houston on Sat has been canceled on American Air.

We're flying United from El Paso to NJ on the 5th for our cruise from NJ to Quebec on the 7th. Our original route was El Paso to Houston to NJ. I decided that I would be proactive and get things changed when United said they would waive change fees. So we're going El Paso to Denver to NJ - for only $30 more. I still check our flight every day to make sure nothing has changed.

I feel for the people coming off the ships in Galveston today. Most, I suspect, are getting off today because they have cars here. If they were flying, they would likely have gotten off at Miami or New Orleans. They may come back to a flooded car, but even if they don't, they likely will have a tough time getting home unless they parked with a full tank of gas. I'm not sure even a full tank will take some of them past the "out of gas" zone... :(

Caribill, I live in the Beaumont - Port Arthur area,

If you don't mind saying publically, where?

I graduated from Nederland High and my DW graduated from TJ (feels like before dirt was invented). Lived in the area until we turned 30...then moved to DFW.

Our house was in Griffin Park and we have heard most of that area is clear...which makes sense because it sits on a little ridge. We got married in The Methodist Temple on Hwy 73 and judging from the picture we saw there is only about 6 FEET of water in the church.

Sill have a lot of family in SE Texas and fortunately most are dry. A couple got a few inches in their homes but they aren't total losses.

Stay safe.

I feel for the people coming off the ships in Galveston today. Most, I suspect, are getting off today because they have cars here. If they were flying, they would likely have gotten off at Miami or New Orleans. They may come back to a flooded car, but even if they don't, they likely will have a tough time getting home unless they parked with a full tank of gas. I'm not sure even a full tank will take some of them past the "out of gas" zone... :(

I wish people would post what they knew was true, I.e. The above post

1. One private lot have cars with water damage.

2. Galveston has gas, so does Houston and most towns out of the metropolitan area.( people aren't topping off their tanks)

We had to drive 20 miles up 281 to find gas this morning, we topped off the truck and filled the Prius and several gas cans. Still at $2.19 a gal. We wouldn't normally be worried, but my DH drives a lot for work, yesterday morning he was down to 1/4 tank and by the afternoon all this started and then he used up most of the gas trying to find it. He had 49 miles till empty this morning...and we found out the Tacoma is siphon proof:(

The attendant told us, they got a truck in yesterday...so the rumors of no deliveries are bogus. This is hysteria pure and simple. Gas Buddy says there are around 60% of stations in the SA area empty. One lady up the road at a Stripes said they received an email this morning saying they may not be getting gas for 3 weeks???

My apologies LadyF for doubting you!:confused: Lesson learned...don't let the tank get lower than 1/2.

The 2 Carni ships in will have to vacate for Liberty to get docked, right? So how is she gonna get in before tonight?

We had to drive 20 miles up 281 to find gas this morning, we topped off the truck and filled the Prius and several gas cans. Still at $2.19 a gal. We wouldn't normally be worried, but my DH drives a lot for work, yesterday morning he was down to 1/4 tank and by the afternoon all this started and then he used up most of the gas trying to find it. He had 49 miles till empty this morning...and we found out the Tacoma is siphon proof:(

The attendant told us, they got a truck in yesterday...so the rumors of no deliveries are bogus. This is hysteria pure and simple. Gas Buddy says there are around 60% of stations in the SA area empty. One lady up the road at a Stripes said they received an email this morning saying they may not be getting gas for 3 weeks???

My apologies LadyF for doubting you!:confused: Lesson learned...don't let the tank get lower than 1/2.

The 2 Carni ships in will have to vacate for Liberty to get docked, right? So how is she gonna get in before tonight?

Becci there are three terminals in Galveston the third where I assume Liberty will dock is only good for loading and unloading which is all they have to do.