Tipping on Shore excursions Epic in Europe

soxfanattic

Hi Everyone. I have heard that tipping in Europe is much different than in the U.S. When we do Caribbean cruises we usually tip the tour operators. Is it the same in Europe. I am trying to figure out how many Euro's to have before the trip, we leave in October. Thanks for any help.

We are in uk and travelled in Europe extensively and cruises in Europe many times, you're correct that tipping in Europe is VERY different then the US. We have often tipped tour guides but amount has varied greatly dependent on how good they actually were but unlike in the states we don't tend to tip all the time. We've tipped anything from 10 euros to 20 euros but it's definitely not expected. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If there are two people in your group, tip 20. If there are 4 of you, tip 40.

Thanks, I understand how to multiply 10 x the number of people in my group. My question is what to do when there are multiple people you deal with on a tour. My understanding is that we will have a guide at certain times on the tour - while touring the Vatican or Pompeii, for example. We will say goodbye to them and not see them for the remainder of our day, but we will be with our driver all day. What I am looking for is guidance as to what is a standard tip for the tour guide and the driver, separately. If know what is considered a standard tip, I can adjust accordingly based on my satisfaction with the service.

On my European cruises, I've usually set up the tours and always as the vendor if we tip the guide will he or she share that tip with the driver. Usually, the answer has been yes (actually I don't remember a time that wasn't the case). I tip less in Europe than in the U.S. due to difference in cultures, but I do tip in Europe.

Gatromom, in your description of having a guide for portion of your day and a driver for the rest, I would personally tip the guide probably E5 and the driver--if he or she was with us all day--I would tip E10 in most circumstances.

Have a great time!

In your instance if you only have the guide for a couple of hours just tip him/her a couple of Euros per person. If you are on a coach trip that has both guide and driver 10€ is enough for both and they share

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone. I have heard that tipping in Europe is much different than in the U.S. When we do Caribbean cruises we usually tip the tour operators. Is it the same in Europe. I am trying to figure out how many Euro's to have before the trip, we leave in October. Thanks for any help.

It depends on which country you are in.

In Sweden you don't have to tip because everyone shall have a decent salary even without tip.

Tipping is more common in Southern Europe but I don't think that it's expected anywhere.

It's still nice to give a tip if you like the provided service!

We booked a private tour for Rome on one cruise, our guide literally spent most of her time talking on her phone while we followed her around, she was pretty poor, so we didn't tip her at all, we'd of been better walking round on our own and saved some money! we always tip if service has been good, but it's not expected.

I live in the UK and have never tipped on a tour in Europe. I'm sure some people do but its just not really expected. Perhaps I would on a private custom tour if it was really good, but not on a group one. The guide has never looked like they expected it either, and I never saw other group participants tipping. This goes for tours I've taken from a cruise and also ones I've taken on land based trips.

I think actually the one time I tried to tip a guide (in Turkey) I was told he wasn't allowed to accept it! He worked for a holiday company and I guess they had a policy on it.

Before I get flamed, it's just not really something we do here, unless you really want to (as per the other answer from someone in the UK). When I'm in the US I will ensure to follow your customs and tip appropriately.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

I live in the UK and have never tipped on a tour in Europe. I'm sure some people do but its just not really expected. Perhaps I would on a private custom tour if it was really good, but not on a group one. The guide has never looked like they expected it either, and I never saw other group participants tipping. This goes for tours I've taken from a cruise and also ones I've taken on land based trips.

Before I get flamed, it's just not really something we do here, unless you really want to (as per the other answer from someone in the UK). When I'm in the US I will ensure to follow your customs and tip appropriately.

Just a quick comment regarding you not having seen anyone else tip, this is normally done very discreetly with a handshake

Just a quick comment regarding you not having seen anyone else tip, this is normally done very discreetly with a handshake

I'm sure you're right- and it's not like I was watching like a hawk trying to spot it! Just not seen it happen obviously, and not seen the guide stand there expecting tips at the end of the tour.

As New Yorkers, we are used to service employees expecting not only tips but almost ridiculously high ones (taxis, when you pay by credit card, offer 20, 25 and 30% as options!). In Asia, in contrast, rounding up tithe nearest dollar or two brings smiles and thanks!

How was the service? A guide who is constantly providing information and is personable and engaged for 6 hours deserves far more than one who mostly chats with the driver. I can recall a driver who took my elderly mom under his wing, helping her in and out, seemingly always there with an arm every time we returned to the car. He got 30%. One who barely seemed to acknowledge we were there got a couple of Euros.

I think the "how much" needs to be tied to "for what". Which is why I sometimes mourn the old days of tipping on cruises in person and individually rather th th current fixed or-set model.

Don't tip by percentage. We normally tip for a full day tour 10 euros pp for excellent. Also, I was told by some in Denmark that tipping is an insult. We went on a great day tour and I didn't tip, nor did anyone else. The tour guide seemed a bit surprised. Later, I talked with some Danish people about tipping tour guides. Apparently, the usual no tip at restaurants didn't seem to apply to tour guides.

It is not expected but is appreciated, for example some restaurants in Spain give the employees the choice of earning €30 per shift (sometimes up to 6 hours) or having a share of the tips.

Wait....I thought tipping wasn't a thing in Europe...

That's what some locals told me.

You don't Normally tip it Europe

I didn't tip at restaurants in Italy and was comfortable with that

However for some reason I did tip our excursion guides for this years totally land based trip

I gave 5E for the 3 of us. Be it a 2/4/8 hour walking/bus tour

I also gave one tour bus driver 5E for an 8 hour day tour on the amalfi coast

Didn't tip our boat drivers for our 8 hour Capri day where they made sure we got to swim into the grottos They disappeared shortly after final docking but would have give 5E there as well.

I do know that in all of the above scenarios tips were NOT expected

I felt the 5E was minimal so no biggie for me to do it

It's amazing how different it is hearing about boat drivers that disappeared in Capri as the last person posted. In the Caribbean, I love the excursions and dread the big pitch for tips at the end and the staff standing on the dock holding a bucket or something else to collect the tips. I look forward to experiencing the "Tip for quality" culture next June!

Whether guide expects may have to with whether Americans are on the tour. Since tipping is part of our culture, some folks expect us to tip even if it's not something generally done in their culture. I'm sure American's have perpetuated this by tipping as if they were in their home towns. I try to learn a little about where I'm going and always check to see if tipping is a part of it--I would never want to not leave a tip if it were customary and I received good service (of course, the definition of good service varies by culture as well).

Coming from a tipping culture, you would probably never see most of us tip; as SpainAlien said, it's usually done pretty discreetly. I typically just hand my guide the payment and a tip is included--I don't call out that I'm giving him or her a tip.

I assume Rome falls into the "not expected but appreciated" category. I'll be there in three weeks and I haven't had time to do any research on it yet (too busy training someone to do my job while I'm gone :D).

Even though the OP is asking specifically regarding tipping a tour guide, I would just like to say that even though tipping in most countries in Europe is not obligatory, it is however indeed highly appreciated and also "normal" to tip at a restaurant if you have been content with the service (all though not as high tip as in the US, some times "rounding up" your bill is the way to go, and some times, if you find the service have been truly excellent, then any where from 5% to 15% would be OK. If you rave about the great service you have been given, and then give no tip, then you will just be considered as "cheap"). I saw one poster saying that somebody in Denmark said that tip was considered as an insult - I think that must have been a misunderstanding. Nowhere in Europe is tipping in a restaurant (or tipping your tour guide for that matter) considered as an insult, BUT if you have had a great meal at a proper restaurant and leave something like 1USD or 1EUR as tip - then that is an insult. Then it is better with no tip....

Regarding tipping a tour guide - we always do so, usually in the range of EUR 5-10 for the two of us depending on how well they "performed" (but if they have been under "average" then no, no tip for the guide). And no need to tip the driver separately - it is an unwritten rule that the guide share their tips with the driver (I worked as a tourist guide myself more than 20 years ago, and even back then it was normal to share my tip with the driver).

I tried to tip a euro or 2 on a sangria bill (30e total bill perhaps for the table ) and my niece was adamant that I should not do it and would snickered at. My niece lives in Barcelona so I trust her advice and didn't tip

She stressed if the bill were say 5.8E that the most I should ever pay would be 6E but even then the waiter would still expect to bring me change

For those that say the waiter in Spain or wherever was oh do grateful well I have to think it was because he knew you were from a tipping culture anyway so he played up to it

My Barcelona sources tell me a tipper gets laughed at once they leave.

Btw I had zero guilt in not tipping in Italy or Spain however I believe I got bad advice about Paris and tipping and did indeed leave a tip whereas I shouldn't have