Carnival vs Royal Carribean

Summer23

My family has traveled all six cruises with Carnival.However, I wanted to venture out to Royal Caribbean. I have heard mixed review between the two.

If you have sailed with both, please share your thoughts on the differences.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My first cruise was with RCI and it put me off cruising. I tried again 7 years later in 2007 and enjoyed Carnival. These are my opinions only but also think 2 of my observations still ring true from what I have read in many of comparison threads - RCI has a better buffet and Carnival a better MDR. The staff on Carnival is very warm and friendly whereas the staff on RCI is distant and seems put upon.

I will say if you are really into shows or the ship experience then I think RCI clearly gets the nod here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family has traveled all six cruises with Carnival.However, I wanted to venture out to Royal Caribbean. I have heard mixed review between the two.

Thank you

Is there a specific ship you're considering? That makes a big difference. RCI can be quite different between the ship classes regarding activities and entertainment.

Service is great on both lines. Food is so subjective, there's no right answer. Generally, I think RCI excels in the live Broadway shows. Carnival seems to excel is free food options.

We have cruised on 6 different cruise lines to include RCCL and Carnival and in my opinion it comes down more to the specific ship than the line when comparing the two. They are more alike than different. One cruise lines employees are not necessarily happier, or more helpful, etc than another, just depends what ship you happen to be on. Have had issues when sailing both and excellent experience with both. Food and activities are subjective, what is good for one is not for another.

I would suggest giving the other cruise lines a try as they all have something different to offer.

I have been on the older voyager class RCCL ships (4 of the 5). The independence class are just bigger versions of the voyager class. I have been on the Magic and Breeze so that is my comparison. The food offered on the Lido deck of the CCL ships is far superior to what the older RCCL ships offered in both quantity of choices and quality of food. Beyond that RCCL is marketed as a cut above CCL not that I agree. RCCL ships are better decorated and not as flashy as the CCL ships. The endless games both on the Lido deck and below that are a CCL specialty is not offered as much on RCCL. I would advise looking at the deck plans of both ships the OP is considering and deciding what is more appealing as their are vast differences (climbing wall, ice skating rink, water park, etc). One reason I no longer sail on RCCL is that they had become very difficult to deal with not that I have found that CCL is not difficult just not nearly as bad.

Thank you

Hi there

I'm one of those that think you should give it a try and then you would have your own opinion.

Just think, if you had first travelled on RCL, you might have been asking this same question on their thread. In fact that's probably where you should be asking this question, if other peoples opinion really matters that much.

If you try it and don't like it, you never have to do it again. If you never try it, you will never know for sure.

whichever you choose

have a great cruise

Hi there

I'm one of those that think you should give it a try and then you would have your own opinion.

Just think, if you had first travelled on RCL, you might have been asking this same question on their thread. In fact that's probably where you should be asking this question, if other peoples opinion really matters that much.

If you try it and don't like it, you never have to do it again. If you never try it, you will never know for sure.

whichever you choose

have a great cruise

Thank you for your insight[emoji4]

Hi there

whichever you choose

have a great cruise

[emoji4] Thank you for your time.I had just went over to RCL page and many are speaking of how much the food quality has declined in comparison to Carnival- but yet the prices hasn't dropped any in cruise fee

I've cruised both lines and I think RCL is a good choice to venture out. It's interesting to mix it up. My last cruise was on Liberty of the Seas. I think that ship was better overall than the Carnival ships I have sailed. It had a lot of fun water slides, a rock climbing call, a little surfing area, and an ice skating rink. The overall entertainment was better. The food in the buffet was much better.

What I like better about the Carnival ships is that they served food on the pool deck, the Faster to the Fun passes, self service laundry, the setup where the outdoor entertainment is in the center of the ship, and the number of different comedy shows. RCL has comedy shows, but Carnival has more shows and many of the shows aren't repeats.

I will continue to sail on both lines (and also NCL). I would highly recommend giving another cruise line a try, no matter which line someone has always sailed. I think it's fun to have new experiences, new shows, and different ships to explore.

Here is a link to my comments on Carnival vs. Royal. This cruise was several years ago. I've cruised both Royal and Carnival since then and my thoughts a pretty much the same. I still enjoy both lines but I'll have to say I was most impressed with Celebrity (Reflection). The ship was awesome, service top notch and food (although subjective) either met or exceeded my expectations throughout the entire cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1497474

[emoji4] Thank you for your time.I had just went over to RCL page and many are speaking of how much the food quality has declined in comparison to Carnival- but yet the prices hasn't dropped any in cruise fee.

Declining food quality is something you'll read on every board, including this one, if you look for it. But the fact is, the food quality is exactly the same across all the mass market cruise lines.

For me, the biggest difference is the beds and bedding. Carnival uses comfortable beds, thick duvets, soft sheets, and fluffy pillows.

Royal uses a bed that's closer to a cot than a bed (except in some Junior suites and higher) heavy, flat duvets, paper crisp sheets and thin pillows.

If I can't get a decent night's sleep, the cruise can't be considered great.

Another vote for expanding your cruising horizons. With nearly 70 cruises under our belts we decided years ago to not fall into the trap if "my cruiseline is_________". We will be on 3 different lines this winter. Each line has it's own personality with each ship it's own identity. To limit oneself to one line is like saying you only eat hotdogs. Big world out there, so go and explore. Safe journeys:cool:

For me Carnival is all about the party atmosphere which I don't seek on a cruise. On Royal you can relax or you have tons of activities and then you can still party at night. I compare C and R as I would Holiday Inn and a W hotel. Both give you a good place to sleep but you feel a more upscale experience with Royal. My suggestion is to give it a try. Unless you are opposed to mega ships (which I love) I suggest one of the Oasis class ships, especially Harmony.

For me, the biggest difference is the beds and bedding. Carnival uses comfortable beds, thick duvets, soft sheets, and fluffy pillows.

Royal uses a bed that's closer to a cot than a bed (except in some Junior suites and higher) heavy, flat duvets, paper crisp sheets and thin pillows.

If I can't get a decent night's sleep, the cruise can't be considered great.

I like the way your think!Being able to get a good nights sleep is a must have for me!!

I think maybe I will stick with Carnival, I've never really had too many problems with any of my cruises .I have noticed that I enjoy the later Months when the kids have returned to school fits better for me[emoji4]

I found the beds on Royal more comfortable than those on Carnival. But things vary ship to ship. If you're asking then it seems you're open to trying something different. Go for it!

Both are good. RCCL does have have nicer decor. RCCL does have better shows but CCL has much better comedy shows in their punchline club. Food is equal, but CCL service is better in MDR. Anthem as a larger ship has more to offer. But you need to book Everything 90 days out. Very important as if you don't, it will effect the enjoyment of the cruise. To be honest, both are good and you will enjoy any cruise. Going on NCL Dawn in 59 days. Can't wait as many in our law office will only do NCL.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Royal has better ships with more to do, Carnival is said to have a little better service. I think if you were dropped on either one randomly you wouldn't notice much of a difference. If you want to venture out and see some truly spectacular ships, go for the latest and greatest from Royal. I personally prefer Royal because I like their ships so much better, but Carnival offers a great product, too and we'll continue to sail Carnival from time to time.

Carnival doesnt have anything that compares to Royals Freedom class and up IMO. I dont sail a cruise ship because of its decor but Royals ships are easier on the eyes as far as the interior and do flow alot better as far as crowds go. I prefer Carnivals food, especially when it comes to all the included options and the specialty dining. Royals buffet blows Carnivals out of the water. MDR is about a tie in my opinion. All that subjective of course. Service was much better last time on Magic than my last couple Royal cruises. Drinks are cheaper on Carnival. Price is no longer a factor. Carnival has gotten outrageous lately.

Id say give Royal a try and come back and let us know what you think. Just remember to compare ship to ship, not cruise line to cruise line.

Carnival doesnt have anything that compares to Royals Freedom class and up IMO. I dont sail a cruise ship because of its decor but Royals ships are easier on the eyes as far as the interior and do flow alot better as far as crowds go. I prefer Carnivals food, especially when it comes to all the included options and the specialty dining. Royals buffet blows Carnivals out of the water. MDR is about a tie in my opinion. All that subjective of course. Service was much better last time on Magic than my last couple Royal cruises. Drinks are cheaper on Carnival. Price is no longer a factor. Carnival has gotten outrageous lately.

Id say give Royal a try and come back and let us know what you think. Just remember to compare ship to ship, not cruise line to cruise line.

Thank you for your opinions[emoji4]

RCL a tad more upscale, better service and attention, food is close and that all depends on the person.

Shows better on RCL but Comedy better on Carnival

One huge advantage on RCL if you are a drinker is only 1 person in the room has to buy the drink package and they discount that 20% pre cruise. And there is no 15 drink limit

Thank you