On the Freedom now - Doing circles in the Gulf

aggie182

Carnival will have complimentary hop on hop off and complimentary shuttle to the French quarters. We got tickets for the hop on hop off. I'm going to be tacky and have a hurricane at Pat O'briens. It should be a good day in Nola.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOLA is a good place to do a hop on hop off. The news coming out of Houston is not good. And now that Harvey has gone back to the gulf and is riding the coast, don't expect it to get better anytime soon. Sorry for the bad news, but you did say you didn't want to be insulated. ABC has been doing a great job of covering the news in Houston if you can get on their website.

Good luck to you and keep up the good spirits!

Looks like the breeze beat us here. Weather is gross but we're fortunate to not be in Houston!

e5f19c80cd91860c1360d419d22041de.jpg

Here is the photo I tried posting yesterday of the circles before heading towards New Orleans.

55729e44309966bb4fb53f3a9ccb09af.jpg

Any idea of how many people are getting off in New Orleans? I really hope that Carnival is stressing that if you flew into Houston then you should get off in New Orleans as the airports are still closed. Once they reopen the hard part will be trying to get flights out. At least in NO you have a very good chance of getting a flight that isn't full.

If you have a vehicle at the port...not sure what will be best. If your gas tank is full enough to get you home, I'd try it (depending on whether Harvey goes back out to Gulf and restrengthens for another swipe). If I was going to gas up on the way home? I'd get off in NOLA and wait a week, pay the parking fees.

What's the parking situation in Galveston? I'm guessing they have multilevel garages, not surface lots? Because a surface lot wouldn't be good. (Or first floor of a parking garage for that matter)

On the other hand, the OP did say that relatives in Galveston were doing fine, so maybe Galveston doesn't have it that bad.

Any idea of how many people are getting off in New Orleans? I really hope that Carnival is stressing that if you flew into Houston then you should get off in New Orleans as the airports are still closed. Once they reopen the hard part will be trying to get flights out. At least in NO you have a very good chance of getting a flight that isn't full.

We met some people on the ship and they remained on board as they are from the Houston area. They told me that quite a few people have decided to get off. The people in the cabin across from us were from AR though they drive to Galveston. They got off on Saturday as well and they said they would deal with their car later. Others that we met that from OK and IL also got off the ship Saturday and flew home Saturday or Sunday.

Yes. I think everyone that remained on the ship is aware that the airports in Houston are closed. We got off the Freedom on Saturday in NOLA and we were able to make the one United flight that didn't connect (and was canceled) through IAH back to CLT.

It was obvious that they weren't expecting all these people to show up at the airport. We got in line to try and print out our boarding passes and and it was at a stand still. The 2nd guy in line said he had been standing there for 4 hours. We quickly found another line and were able to get through it in a relatively short amount of time.

We met some people on the ship and they remained on board as they are from the Houston area. They told me that quite a few people have decided to get off.

I hope all works out well for everyone involved. I just got an iPhone alert....NOLA is now under a flash flood warning. It's pretty ugly outside right now.

.... We're getting Facebook messages just fine, but with the ship's local news being from Miami, it's tough to see what's going on. We're watching CNN some but they're putting either a very dramatic or very political spin on everything. I'm looking forward to the talk and data service in NOLA through Verizon to get caught up on what's happening back home.

Love your attitude, making the best of it. I'm glad you are enjoying your extended vacation! I would just comment that the reporting I have seen on CNN seems very accurate as best I can tell. I don't think they are being "dramatic" -- the situation itself is about as dramatic as you can imagine. I think they are just reporting what is happening, with lots of shots of the flooding and interviews with evacuees. Not sure what a "political spin" would be concerning the hurricane. So I wouldn't blame you if you don't want to over-indulge in the news, but I think the reporting has been pretty on-point if you do choose to watch.

Stay safe and best wishes that all is well at your home!

Didn't see how many got off between 8-10. They just announced the folks who are staying on are free to go in to New Orleans and need to be back by 2 pm tomorrow. In no rush to get off by plan to go hang out in the French quarters with the family later today.

Your attitude is amazing! It helps to have more calm passengers on the ship for sure. I mean, at a certain point there really is nothing you can do. And for those who aren't from the area, it helps if they get off and fly home if they can too. Just dealing with less passengers whenever you DO get back to Galveston will be helpful. Hoping your home is good when you do get back home! Enjoy NOLA, although I know they're saying they're supposed to get some of the rain too.

Oh, and our weather was just saying how slow it's moving, 3 MPH!! That's why it's been so devastating as well, with all that rain just staying in the same place.

Nola was fun today, but rainy. We can venture off again tomorrow but have to be on by 2. After that, I'd imagine it's 6 hours down the river then more circles in the gulf.

The river is supposed to crest Thursday near our neighborhood so if the levees hold between now and then and we survive that, we're golden. Let's hope that's the case. Saw a photo of my street earlier today, and we're good.

I don't know if knowing or not knowing is better.

I've always been of the mindset...if I'm on the ship, I will deal with unpleasantness that happens when I am gone when I get home. The ship is a haven of bliss. Galveston (as of Monday) seems to be doing well. The weather channel coverage has been the best...but...maybe you should be prepared...things are not exactly being over dramatized. It is really bad in Houston and the SW area.

My opinion...if anyone had flights scheduled: get off in New Orleans while you can. (Harvey expected to dump some precip there around Thrs/Fri.)

If you have a vehicle at the port...not sure what will be best. If your gas tank is full enough to get you home, I'd try it (depending on whether Harvey goes back out to Gulf and restrengthens for another swipe). If I was going to gas up on the way home? I'd get off in NOLA and wait a week, pay the parking fees.

Why would you get off in NOLA and stay a week with 6 people staying in a hotel, eating out, then renting a car to get back to Galveston? When Carnival is housing them, feeding them ,entertaining them and will get them back to Galveston free when it's safe.

Aggie, you are smart and you have the best attitude. Enjoy the rest of your extended vacation and deal with matters when you get home instead of now during the panic when you can't even reach your insurance agent? Hoping you find your home in as good a shape as your attitude!

Sent from my iPad using Forums