How hard is the ship laundry on your clothes?

gvre

Can someone please explain to me the difference between "launder" and "clean"? I've always done my own laundry, but I'm soon to be elite and I guess I should figure this out!

By launder Princess washes you clothes in very hot water & drys them in their very hot dryers. If you don't usually do the same at home your clothes will shrink.

The cleaning process they use has replaced the old dry cleaning chemicals that were popular years ago. From what I understand it's a chemical cleaning solution. My clothes have never shrunk using that process although I'm still reluctant to send in my more expensive items for cleaning.

Just FYI, if you're Elite and supposed to get free laundry service, if there are a lot of Elite's on board it can take up to 5 days to get your laundry back :(! You might want to plan to spend 2 hours some afternoon to go to the Passenger Laundry and wash and dry your own clothes. Also, be aware that there's no such thing as "cold" water wash.

We just don't take anything that we wouldn't want to be ruined.

Anyone with laundry service experience on the Sun?

We have a suite booked next March. I was really looking forward to the free laundry service perk and being able to pack less. That was.....until now! We won't be packing really expensive clothes, but I am now fearful that they will be ruined if sent out to the laundry. Is it possible to send everything out marked "clean" instead of "laundry"? From what I'm reading, it seems to be less stressful on the clothes.

Just FYI, if you're Elite and supposed to get free laundry service, if there are a lot of Elite's on board it can take up to 5 days to get your laundry back :(! You might want to plan to spend 2 hours some afternoon to go to the Passenger Laundry and wash and dry your own clothes. Also, be aware that there's no such thing as "cold" water wash.

We just don't take anything that we wouldn't want to be ruined.

Done 5 TA's with loads of elites and never more than 3 days. That just once. Rest 2 or less. Anyway, we take plenty of changes so we don't worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It seems lately( Last ship Dawn Princess) when we send out our laundry on the ships they come back scorched, buttons melted, and other stuff. Does anyone have any recent experience on the Pacific Princess?

Thanks Debbie

We've used the laundry onboard atleast once on each cruise we've taken without and damage or lost items.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Forums mobile app

I've also had issues with the washing machines located on each deck leaving spots on clothing. We even wipe down the inside of the washing machines and dryers prior to using them.

Just ask Judy - I am the master of making spots - like all over the kitchen every time I cook - which is invariably right after she cleans the stove!

We take a small bottle of liquid Tide and use it to pre-spot all of our (my) shirts and slacks...

We must be lucky as we have never had any issues. Love having everything coming back to me in a little basket or already hanging up in the closet.

Just a heads up.....take photo's of all items being sent in for washing so when they lose an item (and they will someday) you can show them a photo of the article.

... Also, be aware that there's no such thing as "cold" water wash...

I've noticed that the water in the self-service machines isn't very cold either, even when set to 'cold'. The water pipes must pick up too much heat from the inner workings of the ship.

Sending whites/lights and darks in separate bags is a great idea.

So, 'clean' is an Elite perk too, not just 'laundry'?

I know it sounds odd, but we have no plans on doing laundry while on our 14 day cruise around the UK, but would like to know roughly how much an average bag of laundry might run? Nothing special in the bag other than 3 days of undies for 2 people, maybe a couple of excursion blouses and a couple of polo shirts. We're not looking for a precise figure, just a guess - $30 a bag, $40 a bag, $50 a bag?

I know it sounds odd, but we have no plans on doing laundry while on our 14 day cruise around the UK, but would like to know roughly how much an average bag of laundry might run? Nothing special in the bag other than 3 days of undies for 2 people, maybe a couple of excursion blouses and a couple of polo shirts. We're not looking for a precise figure, just a guess - $30 a bag, $40 a bag, $50 a bag?

There is a different cost for each garment. You have to mark how many of each and they bill you accordingly. I'm sure someone here must have a pic of the laundry slip.

There is a different cost for each garment. You have to mark how many of each and they bill you accordingly. I'm sure someone here must have a pic of the laundry slip.

Thanks for responding and I realize that. I have searched the Princess threads using "laundry" as a search word and looked through a variety of associated threads and can't find a picture of a laundry slip. That's why I was asking just for a general estimate.

Thanks for responding and I realize that. I have searched the Princess threads using "laundry" as a search word and looked through a variety of associated threads and can't find a picture of a laundry slip. That's why I was asking just for a general estimate.

I did a google search and found this...These prices look like what I remember from April.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k9096652-Laundry_Prices-Cruises.html

Wait, I found this...from Astro Flyer in a 2012 post (Sorry, I don't know how to copy the actual post):

Laundry

Shirt/blouse-$3; Formal shirt/blouse-$3.75; T-shirts-$2.25; undershirts-$1.25; undershorts-$1; slips-$2; bra-$1.50; handkerchiefs-.75; socks-$1; nightgown/PJs-$3.25

Cleaning

Evening dress-$10.50; dresses-$8.50; suit 2 pieces-$9; jackets-$5; trousers/pants/slacks-$4.50; skirts-$4.50; coats-$7.50; shirts/blouses-$3.50; sweaters-$4.50; polo/golf shirts-$3; shorts-$3.25; vests-$2.50; ties-$2.50

These were the prices from the last copy of the laundry services form that I kept. All clothing except for undergarments are pressed & on hangars and shirts can be either starched or not. Charge for pressing only is 80% of cleaning prices. Sometimes during a cruise they will have a special on a bag of laundry for about $15-$20 but I don't have the exact amount because I've never done it. We can get a couple pairs of pants & shirts in a bag but not too much more. All Princess ships have self service laundromats & as I recall it's $2 for the washer & $2 for the dryer.

Interesting comments, I've never had anything lost, shrunk or damaged. I have pretty basic clothes, mostly old fashioned cotton and dressier tops I wear to dinner, wouldn't send out. Even when I'm gone for a month, I've worn them twice just to dinner, I can do those when I get home. I use the laundry, but never have had any issues with water temps.

We take a small bottle of liquid Tide and use it to pre-spot all of our (my) shirts and slacks...

That's a good idea. On longer cruises, if we can find it in a local store, we use Shout or Oxyclean (the best) laundry gels. In fact, we've had t-shirts returned to us with stains that weren't there in the first place, resubmitted them after treating them and the stains came out. And they're great for removing sunscreens.

That's a good idea. On longer cruises, if we can find it in a local store, we use Shout or Oxyclean (the best) laundry gels. In fact, we've had t-shirts returned to us with stains that weren't there in the first place, resubmitted them after treating them and the stains came out. And they're great for removing sunscreens.

Well that's a new one for me. They added stains that weren't there when you sent them in. :eek: