Hurricane damage on the Islands

sapphire_407

I have a cruise booked December 9th to Puerto Rico, St. Marteen, Turks, and St. Kitts. I put a very small down payment and have to pay the rest in a few weeks. Anyone think the prices of the cruises will come down because of all the damage? I'm going to wait it out.

I have a cruise booked December 9th to Puerto Rico, St. Marteen, Turks, and St. Kitts. I put a very small down payment and have to pay the rest in a few weeks. Anyone think the prices of the cruises will come down because of all the damage? I'm going to wait it out.
Possibly, but who knows. I think right now everyone is more concerned with the potential devastating damage to these islands. St. Martin, our favourite, has been hit very hard. I'm praying for all the people who are impacted by this storm and hope that most can find safety.

• 2 months later...

Of course we are very concerned about the safety of the island inhabitants (goes WITHOUT saying) but the OP asked.... on a cruise forum.... about the status of the islands that he/she booked a cruise for....a very valid question. I am wondering the same exact thing about the same exact places.

We are sailing on the same iteneary but in April. Please let me know how your cruise goes.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Of course we are very concerned about the safety of the island inhabitants (goes WITHOUT saying) but the OP asked.... on a cruise forum.... about the status of the islands that he/she booked a cruise for....a very valid question. I am wondering the same exact thing about the same exact places.

Moreover the OP is asking will prices come down for their cruise because of the condition of the islands. There are forums on this site for discussion of ports of call but questions about pricing for their Carnival cruise make this the place to be. ;)

The cruise ports on San Juan and St Martin will be open, just don't expect the rest of the island to be back to normal. Certain areas are still devastated and without essential services like electric or running water. Expect that excursions will be limited as well.

I've read that the French side of St Martin will be closed at least until the summer or fall of 2018, that includes Orient Beach. Some shops in Phillipsburg will also be closed. And we all hear how badly hit the island of Puerto Rico was hit, so outside of San Juan, it will take a long long time to recover. Even in San Juan, not all hotels are back on full power, some are open on generator power but without AC or elevators running 24/7.

Do check the boards and threads about hotels & flights if the cruise you are looking at is leaving from San Juan. People are getting both cancelled and are scrambling. I'd guess that the prices would go down, but you never know. If you have San Juan as a port - there's not much to do. Even El Morro is closed.

ST Maarten is trying hard to get some things - shops. bars, restaurants, water activities going but it's iffy right now. I'm following a St Maarten Facebook group. Grand Turk should be okay, and I think also St Kitts.

Just keep checking the prices is about all you can do.

We are on the 12/30 sailing on the Vista that was originally going to San Juan, Grand Turk, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. St. Maarten has now been replaced with Amber Cove. Carnival is resuming San Juan in a couple of weeks and St. Maarten in January. My understanding is that there is now power in San Juan and the city is open to tourists, however the rest of the island is still in bad shape.