Excursion bus 'protocol'

philpcruiser

The OP clearly stated that his wife sat in a different seat in error, not as part of a concerted plan to move to a 'better' seat. In that kind of situation, surely the only polite thing for the original occupant of the seat to do is to shrug and sit elsewhere (or, if there was a reason why they had to sit there, to explain in a polite and non-confrontational manner)?

I love when guides take charge and make things more equitable for all. There are many reasons why someone gets to a bus early and late, so making it mandatory to change locations throughout the tour is fair. And as far as leaving the people behind, an attempt to find them was made, so the couple shouldn't have been miffed.

I agree with others, two rudenesses don't make either polite. Yes, you were vindictive.

:'):'):'):') It is amazing when people don't get their own way, how the 'other' person is rude/vindictive. Just a reminder here .... FREE COUNTRY .... last I checked.

One of my best excursions ever was the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali. DH and I got to the stop at the lodge where the excursion bus was going to pick us up. Another couple came about five minutes later. But DH being a gentleman, told them to get on the bus before us. The bus had stopped at another lodge previously and was almost full. The other couple got the last two seats together. I ended up sitting in the midst of a very nice family. The husband insisted I take the window seat to get a better view. His wife and son were across the aisle, and his brother and sister-in-law in the seats behind them. So when there was something interesting on that side of the bus, they'd let me take photos too. We had a great time. Meanwhile DH was stuck in the back of the bus sitting with people who were not as friendly.

:'):'):'):') It is amazing when people don't get their own way, how the 'other' person is rude/vindictive. Just a reminder here .... FREE COUNTRY .... last I checked.

Every time you defend your bad behavior you prove again and again that it is an obvious trait of yours. (n)

And yes, you are correct, it is a FREE COUNTRY to be boorish and confrontational. So keep at it. Exercise that freedom to it's fullest because clearly you relish being an unpleasant person. :rolleyes:

The OP clearly stated that his wife sat in a different seat in error, not as part of a concerted plan to move to a 'better' seat. In that kind of situation, surely the only polite thing for the original occupant of the seat to do is to shrug and sit elsewhere (or, if there was a reason why they had to sit there, to explain in a polite and non-confrontational manner)?

Thank you!

If some one is in your seat, and you have to have it, it's very easy to say, "Excuse me, but I think you are in my seat." It's not confrontational, but if the person insists on keeping it, move along. Life is too short to be upset over something you won't remember two weeks from now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Every time you defend your bad behavior you prove again and again that it is an obvious trait of yours. (n)

And yes, you are correct, it is a FREE COUNTRY to be boorish and confrontational. So keep at it. Exercise that freedom to it's fullest because clearly you relish being an unpleasant person. :rolleyes:

You just keep proving my point. I am not boorish, rude or confrontational, vindictive or mean or unpleasant. But I certainly stand up for myself and speak out. See? You want me to be meek and mild and do as YOU or another person 'on the bus' tells me to do! And when I don't .... you begin name calling and character assassination! VERY admirable, truly!

You just keep proving my point. I am not boorish, rude or confrontational, vindictive or mean or unpleasant. But I certainly stand up for myself and speak out. See? You want me to be meek and mild and do as YOU or another person 'on the bus' tells me to do! And when I don't .... you begin name calling and character assassination! VERY admirable, truly!

If the Guide on the tour tells you to do something, you probably should. To disobey IS very rude!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have had the same experience in the dining room at a larger table. Some people want the same exact seat each night. They get the window or the aisle that they covet and no one else does. And they will fight for that right.

I like sharing the good and the bad seats. First come, first served causes problems like pushing to be first, etc.

Here's one for you. NCL excursion in Ketchikan. Took rental car shuttle style van to drop off point with 12 others. 3 went to zip line, 10 went sea kayak. For return trip they sent a huge 50 passenger bus. no saved stuff on seats. DW and I grab seats halfway back and 2 stops later someone gets on and says "you are in our seats". When we got on there was no one but the driver on board (and our original group). Second stop had maybe 15 people, so 20+ empty seats. I looked at the guy and pointed to seats next row and further back. I also mentioned we were on the Jewel, and guess what, he wasn't even on the same ship.

Moving someone's property is dirty pool and not cool. But a lack of understanding concerning "saved" community property is pretty much stuff you need to pick up on in kindergarten.

Have had the same experience in the dining room at a larger table. Some people want the same exact seat each night. They get the window or the aisle that they covet and no one else does. And they will fight for that right.

I like sharing the good and the bad seats. First come, first served causes problems like pushing to be first, etc.

I have to say that I'm a creature of habit and like sitting in the same seat. I don't pick the best seat in either a bus or dining room; I kind of pick middle of the road. I will say that on my last few cruises, I try to switch up where I sit at the dining table, even though there are no windows or no good or bad seats.

I have to say that I'm a creature of habit and like sitting in the same seat. I don't pick the best seat in either a bus or dining room; I kind of pick middle of the road. I will say that on my last few cruises, I try to switch up where I sit at the dining table, even though there are no windows or no good or bad seats.

Unfortunately, there are sometimes bad seats in the MDR. On a cruise a few years ago, we were six at a table for eight literally way back in the corner of the dining room. Half of the seats faced the dinning room, the other half faced two blank walls, with no window in view, not even a painting or other decoration. Fortunately, the first night the people sitting facing the room offered to rotate each night so it wasn't always the same people facing the corner. Each night we rotated two seats to the right, giving everyone equal opportunities to face the corner or the room, or a bit of both. Not surprisingly, no one volunteered to face the corner for the entire cruise. :p

On our last Alaska cruise we were again assigned to a corner table for eight. Fortunately, only one other couple showed up so there were only four of us at that table (the other four never showed up for the entire cruise). Being only four of us at a table for eight, everyone had a good view and everyone was happy to sit in the same seats every night. We did have a window behind us, but another table nearby didn't like the sunlight streaming in (sunset was around 10:00 pm during that cruise) and every night they asked the servers to close the curtains. Not wanting to cause a problem for the servers, we just let them close off that nice outside view and just focused on the view of the dining room.

Edited by sloopsailor

Unfortunately, there are sometimes bad seats in the MDR. On a cruise a few years ago, we were six at a table for eight literally way back in the corner of the dining room. Half of the seats faced the dinning room, the other half faced two blank walls, with no window in view, not even a painting or other decoration. Fortunately, the first night the people sitting facing the room offered to rotate each night so it wasn't always the same people facing the corner. Each night we rotated two seats to the right, giving everyone equal opportunities to face the corner or the room, or a bit of both. Not surprisingly, no one volunteered to face the corner for the entire cruise. :p

On our last Alaska cruise we were again assigned to a corner table for eight. Fortunately, only one other couple showed up so there were only four of us at that table (the other four never showed up for the entire cruise). Being only four of us at a table for eight, everyone had a good view and everyone was happy to sit in the same seats every night. We did have a window behind us, but another table nearby didn't like the sunlight streaming in (sunset was around 10:00 pm during that cruise) and every night they asked the servers to close the curtains. Not wanting to cause a problem for the servers, we just let them close off that nice outside view and just focused on the view of the dining room.

Wow! Fortunately, I've always had tables in the middle of the dining room and never facting a wall, so it is hard to relate to a bad seat. I guess it is just the luck of the draw.

Wow! Fortunately, I've always had tables in the middle of the dining room and never facting a wall, so it is hard to relate to a bad seat. I guess it is just the luck of the draw.

Yep. Just unlucky on that first table. We tried to change but there weren't any others available - or so we were told. :(

Now we try to check out our table location when we get on board and ask to move if it's not in a good location. We have been able to move to a better table twice so far.

Here's a good one for you. St Thomas excursion on the usual unairconditioned open air truck. 2 1/2 hours into a 3 hour tour we go back to truck to find someone sitting in our place even though my backpack was clearly there. He said someone stole his seat. So he figured it was ok to steal mine. First I made him move cuz I was on the end purposely because I'm of the age where I feel extremely hot all the time so you can imagine how unhappy I was to be in a truck with no air conditioning (tour description needs to say this!!). I then confronted him and said well why didn't you say something and he gave me a crap answer saying it's vacation he didn't want to bother with it. (But doing the same to someone else was perfectly ok) Then later I found out he told the woman on the other side of the seat he and his wife moved cuz the speakers in the front seat they originally sat in were too loud. Not only was he a jerk but he was lying to either me or the other woman.

Edited by Knighton

OMG wow; this thread is hilarious!!!

There quite a few crabby, entitled, selfish and rude people here.

There are no social conventions or protocols on seating on a bus tour; why would people think there are and where did they come from? Who put you in charge?

Yelling at, and personally attacking someone who doesn't agree with you is not polite society. Who do you think you are?

Just because you do not agree with someone does not make them wrong; you reprimanding them is wrong.

Travel requires great flexibility; don't travel if you can't be. It is NEVER just about you and what you want. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cruisercl
typo

The seat you take on the first leg of a bus excursion is the seat you're expected to have for the rest of the day. Otherwise you make unpleasant people show their true colors. And life's too short to have to deal with unpleasant people. Also it's easier for people to assist the tour guide in telling if someone's missing if everyone sits in the same place.

This is a great point that wasn't addressed the last time this was discussed. It would help to not just realize that 2 people are missing, but someone sitting close by could say "Oh, it's the couple wearing the matching Aloha shirts that are missing" and another could say "Oh, I saw them heading towards the gift shop", etc.

PERFECT and without question (the two best posts in this entire thread. :) I know,,, there likely is someone all ready to argue with me about which posts are the best. sigh. :) I refuse to enter that scramble. :halo: