Princes Cruises - New rip off for drinks package.

CavaGirl

If you think that it has changed by a few people taking an extra one here and there you are sadly mistaken. Princess has raised rates cut back on food selections adding more rooms to improve bottom line income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realize that the only reason cruise lines exist is to make a profit right? They are in a business and making a profit is the goal of that business. If they fail to do so, the shareholders will quickly replace the management with new personnel who will turn a profit.

Cruising remains a delightful way to travel, generally offers great value compared to alternative methods of achieving the same thing and the consumer (thanks to the internet) now has access to more information than ever allowing them to make better decisions for themselves.

On one of the earlier threads someone had reported that the drink prices themselves onboard were increasing, by $1-2 each if I recall. In conjucntion with that, the AIBP price was going up, as was the upper drink limit from $10 to $12, presumably to include all the same drinks as it did before, just at their new higher prices.

I haven't seen any reports of the actual new drink prices yet - I don't know when they were scheduled to start - once we hear we'll be better able to calculate the "value" of the AIPB at the new price.

For us, we both do purchase the package, for convenience and the fact that we do enjoy specialty coffees in the morning and after dinner, pool beverages all afternoon, before and after dinner drinks, and dinner wine. They will now be bringing us many little bottles of sparkling water at dinner as we used to drink 2 large ones! Overall our many different types of beverages adds up, and on a Caribbean itinerary where we are on the ship far more than off it, the package makes sense. At ship prices, we do at least break even daily.

Question - what is the cost of a 7&7 or Crown & Coke on board? I’m trying to decide on getting the drink package.

Not sure if you've seen this thread -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576&page=4

Another cc'er created this awsome spreadsheet to calculate your drink usage. Now it is at the old drink prices - they will be increasing $1-2 each so adjust accordingly.

You still can share.

Just be discreet & you'll be fine. ;)

Since they're capping it at 15 drinks per day they should just issue punch cards like the coffee card & officially allow sharing.

Because if they did that everyone would use all 15 and there would be no profit (in fact a loss) to Princess. They count on some using 6 some 10 and some 15 to make it come out to everyones benefit.

Because if they did that everyone would use all 15 and there would be no profit (in fact a loss) to Princess. They count on some using 6 some 10 and some 15 to make it come out to everyones benefit.

I fully understand their logic.

If I get their package I WILL make sure to it the maximum from now on no matter what I do with the drinks. Like I posted previously, since there's now a limit or 15 drinks, they should resort to using a punch card to keep track.

If I get their package I WILL make sure to it the maximum from now on no matter what I do with the drinks. Like I posted previously, since there's now a limit or 15 drinks, they should resort to using a punch card to keep track.

Just remember is you are caught sharing they have the right to take the plan away and not refund you any money

" NO MATTER WHAT I DO WITH THE DRINKS " - Dude, really? - I'll still continue to get the Drink package, and my wife will continue to not get it.

When , not IF, Princess changes the policy to mandatory all people in the cabin get it, well, we're pretty fed up with Princess now over the whole Medallion bait and switch crap so it may not matter

Just remember is you are caught sharing they have the right to take the plan away and not refund you any money

Thanks for the heads up.

" NO MATTER WHAT I DO WITH THE DRINKS " - Dude, really? - I'll still continue to get the Drink package, and my wife will continue to not get it.

When , not IF, Princess changes the policy to mandatory all people in the cabin get it, well, we're pretty fed up with Princess now over the whole Medallion bait and switch crap so it may not matter

Who said my wife will get the drinks? :confused:

Since they've capped it at 15, I'm certain they fully expect to make a profit at that number no matter where the drinks wind up.

I might decide to try every drink on the menu & if I don't like it just throw it down the drain--- but I will make sure I hit the 15 mark.

Correction the T&Cs now say that non-alcoholic drinks are excluded from the 15 limit.

Terms and Conditions

Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.) Alcoholic drinks requested above the daily limits are at the discretion of the shipboard management and crew and charged at regular menu prices. Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation, nor do they count towards this maximum.

Aren't you glad you went right to the 'rip-off' card before knowing the facts?

If you think that it has changed by a few people taking an extra one here and there you are sadly mistaken. Princess has raised rates cut back on food selections adding more rooms to improve bottom line income.

Yet another 'principled' defense of dishonest behavior.

Question - what is the cost of a 7&7 or Crown & Coke on board? I’m trying to decide on getting the drink package.

Also, on Carnival, both cabin mates must buy the package. Is this true with Princess or can I buy it without my wife purchasing as well?

Mike

Mike, on Princess you can buy the drink package and your wife does not have to. :)

It's a good thing. Sometimes, one person doesn't drink at all for various reasons (pregnant being one of them) ... or very little.

We look at it this way... It's a cost certainty thing for us. It takes 6 drinks a day to break even because we also have multiple lattes in the morning and after dinner. We will lose money on some port days but make it up on sea days. So at the end we usually break even or slightly ahead. But knowing when we leave that it's all paid for is a fantastic way for us to budget and just enjoy the cruise.

And as Florida said it affords us the option of trying new things and if we don't like it..pour it out and try another. No $ lost.

Edited by DnD_Cruisin

We got the all inclusive beverage plan for free as a bonus for our upcoming May '18 Alaska cruise. I was thinking I might try to keep a log of all of the times I use it the plan, as an experiment. Juices, mocktails, and good coffee around the clock on top of the option of 15(!!!) drinks a day. Interesting...

The computer will do a much better job keeping track than a punch card.

So someone who has 15 drinks in a day while on vacation is automatically an alcoholic?

Myopic much? Just sayin ...

If the shoe fits! But seriously, you might want to read a report by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (part of the National Institute of Health).

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking

To keep at a low risk of developing an alcoholic disorder they recommend a man consume no more then 4 drinks a day or 14 drinks a week :). I will sheepishly admit to exceeding those limits on more then a few cruises. But 15 a day?

Hank

Sure it will but the passengers need something for them selves so they know just how much is left remaining.

Wouldn't want to leave any on the table at the end of the night, would you? :rolleyes:

Just curious, how big would the card have to be to show 15 drinks a day for how many days? Would it fit in my wallet?????

If the shoe fits! But seriously, you might want to read a report by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (part of the National Institute of Health).

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking

To keep at a low risk of developing an alcoholic disorder they recommend a man consume no more then 4 drinks a day or 14 drinks a week :). I will sheepishly admit to exceeding those limits on more then a few cruises. But 15 a day?

Hank

Having been raised by 2 alcoholics I feel somewhat in the know about alcoholism. Having had doctors get me addicted to pain medication while hospitalized for 6 months following a motorcycle accident..I understand addiction first hand.

I have never hit the drink limit personally but know many who have and none are alcoholics. Making the assumption that anyone who drinks 15 in a day is an alcoholic while on vacation is wrong. By making a broad statement diminishes the struggles of actual addicts and changes the perceptions over time to these myopic viewpoints.

Are some who do? Of course. There are addicts of all kinds. But to make the blanket assumption as the poster above did is nothing more than self righteous and wrong.

Hank

No one will develop an alcoholic disorder in a week on vacation. Many people drink more on vacation than they do in their daily lives. It takes a pattern of behavior (occurring over months) to develop a disorder. I’ve never come close to 15 drinks in a day myself, but no need to call someone an alcoholic for doing it once or twice a year on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No one will develop an alcoholic disorder in a week on vacation. Many people drink more on vacation than they do in their daily lives. It takes a pattern of behavior (occurring over months) to develop a disorder. I’ve never come close to 15 drinks in a day myself, but no need to call someone an alcoholic for doing it once or twice a year on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. You made my point much more succinctly than I could have.