Dress code, booking, and weather for p&o cruises aurora

smarks

This is going to be my first trip to Europe. Am planning on booking with P&O on the Aurora. I have cruised the Caribbean but I know it is different in the cooler weather. So I have some questions if you don't mind.

1. Dress Code: I'm not a fan of black tie and ball gowns. Is this required or can we just grab some food somewhere else and dress casual? I have also read that you can't wear jeans after 6. Is this correct. I've got to know how to pack.

2. I can only find one travel agency in the whole U.S. that can book a P&O cruise. What am I missing?

3. We will be doing the Baltics. What kind of weather will we experience. I have been to Alaska and dressed in layers. Is this the way it will be in Norway & St. Petersburg? I'm thinking I am going to need a coat.

Sorry for all the questions but I am really reaching out of my comfort zone. Thanks for any help or info you can pass along. It will be greatly apreciated.

Basically whenever you go I think layers will be the way to go.

Aurora is a very traditional P and O ship, 90%+ of the guests will be adhering to the dress code..be it dj's or dark smart suits on formal evening..maybe not so many ballgowns now..more cocktail dress length.

If you do not wish to wear the dress code then basically its the buffet and maybe 1 of the select dining (sorry cant remember which one). Some of the bars (crows nest and andersons) will not allow access either. You read correctly on formal nights the code applies from 6pm. So jeans after that will sort of stick out..could you do smart trousers and shirt. This would be ok-just not in the mdr and the above 2 bars.

on smart casual nights dark jeans are suitable everywhere.

Something else to think about if this is your first trip to Europe is currency.

Not all of Europe uses the euro (UK for starters if you are leaving from Southampron). Some of the non euro Baltic ports will take euros in tourist shops but for other purchases you will need at least some of the local currency.

As the english lady says, Aurora is one of the more formal P&O ships. On smart casual evenings, you can wear jeans after 6.00pm but you will be in a very small minority. There are likely to be 4 Formal nights when casual clothing is restricted to certain bars and restaurants as mentioned above.

Weather around the Baltics can be very changeable. I went to the Baltics this May aboard Aurora and the weather was fantastic - locals were sunbathing along the banks of the River Neva in St Petersburg - but apparently 2 weeks earlier it had been snowing! Layers definitely the way to go.

P&O do not market their cruises in the USA and I think the one agent you have found is probably about it. You will be one of a small number of non-Brits on board but will find them very welcoming!

This is going to be my first trip to Europe. Am planning on booking with P&O on the Aurora. I have cruised the Caribbean but I know it is different in the cooler weather. So I have some questions if you don't mind.

1. Dress Code: I'm not a fan of black tie and ball gowns. Is this required or can we just grab some food somewhere else and dress casual? I have also read that you can't wear jeans after 6. Is this correct. I've got to know how to pack.

2. I can only find one travel agency in the whole U.S. that can book a P&O cruise. What am I missing?

3. We will be doing the Baltics. What kind of weather will we experience. I have been to Alaska and dressed in layers. Is this the way it will be in Norway & St. Petersburg? I'm thinking I am going to need a coat.

Sorry for all the questions but I am really reaching out of my comfort zone. Thanks for any help or info you can pass along. It will be greatly apreciated.

Aurora sails to the Baltics 19 th May and 31st August 2018.May might be cool but August will be warm.

Personally i would do RCI Navigator of the seas on any of the June 3,15 or 27 sailings as there is a lot more to do on this ship and it is much less formal.

Graham.

Basically whenever you go I think layers will be the way to go.

Aurora is a very traditional P and O ship, 90%+ of the guests will be adhering to the dress code..be it dj's or dark smart suits on formal evening..maybe not so many ballgowns now..more cocktail dress length.

If you do not wish to wear the dress code then basically its the buffet and maybe 1 of the select dining (sorry cant remember which one). Some of the bars (crows nest and andersons) will not allow access either. You read correctly on formal nights the code applies from 6pm. So jeans after that will sort of stick out..could you do smart trousers and shirt. This would be ok-just not in the mdr and the above 2 bars.

on smart casual nights dark jeans are suitable everywhere.

Thank you for clearing this up for me. I would be taking dress clothes and my husband a dark suit. But I do not own a ball room gown and didn't want to go buy one. I'm so glad a dressy dress will work. So dark jeans on anything but formal night. Is that correct? I have black jeans. I also have black trousers. Thanks again for the information.

Something else to think about if this is your first trip to Europe is currency.

Not all of Europe uses the euro (UK for starters if you are leaving from Southampron). Some of the non euro Baltic ports will take euros in tourist shops but for other purchases you will need at least some of the local currency.

Thank you for the tip. I am already learning a lot from this board. I will have to further investigate the currency. Do most places take credit cards? I will be sure to do a currency exchange for tours, tips and other things.

Would it be ok if I ask another question since we are talking money. Is it customary to tip. If so, could you please tell me the recommended amount for private tours, restaurants or any other places. Thank you again for the information.

As the english lady says, Aurora is one of the more formal P&O ships. On smart casual evenings, you can wear jeans after 6.00pm but you will be in a very small minority. There are likely to be 4 Formal nights when casual clothing is restricted to certain bars and restaurants as mentioned above.

Weather around the Baltics can be very changeable. I went to the Baltics this May aboard Aurora and the weather was fantastic - locals were sunbathing along the banks of the River Neva in St Petersburg - but apparently 2 weeks earlier it had been snowing! Layers definitely the way to go.

P&O do not market their cruises in the USA and I think the one agent you have found is probably about it. You will be one of a small number of non-Brits on board but will find them very welcoming!

Thank you Andrew for the information. We always try to dress appropriately. We have never been required to wear a ball gown or a tux. So glad to hear it's not required. Dress clothes are easier to pack. I'm just hoping Cunard doens't require gowns and tuxes. Thanks for the tip on the weather since we will be there in May. So layers it will be.

Aurora sails to the Baltics 19 th May and 31st August 2018.May might be cool but August will be warm.

Personally i would do RCI Navigator of the seas on any of the June 3,15 or 27 sailings as there is a lot more to do on this ship and it is much less formal.

Graham.

Thank you for the information grapau27. I am looking at May 2019. Since I haven't been in a plane since 1990 and don't plan on getting on one, I have to line up 3 cruises without a long layover. Right now, I am looking at Cunard to Southampton in May, Aroura for 14 days, 4 nights in Southampton then return on Cunard. I am hoping there will be other options coming out soon, but right now, this is what I have. I have found only one cruise line (Holland) which I like that does a round trip from the states but it only does Norway. I really want to get a taste of different countries while I'm there. Thanks for the recommendation and I will keep looking. For now, this is what I have.

Thank you for the information grapau27. I am looking at May 2019. Since I haven't been in a plane since 1990 and don't plan on getting on one, I have to line up 3 cruises without a long layover. Right now, I am looking at Cunard to Southampton in May, Aroura for 14 days, 4 nights in Southampton then return on Cunard. I am hoping there will be other options coming out soon, but right now, this is what I have. I have found only one cruise line (Holland) which I like that does a round trip from the states but it only does Norway. I really want to get a taste of different countries while I'm there. Thanks for the recommendation and I will keep looking. For now, this is what I have.

Your welcome.

P&O,RCI,Princess and MSC are all sailing from Southampton so hopefully you will find something to suit.

Good luck.

Thank you for the tip. I am already learning a lot from this board. I will have to further investigate the currency. Do most places take credit cards? I will be sure to do a currency exchange for tours, tips and other things.

Would it be ok if I ask another question since we are talking money. Is it customary to tip. If so, could you please tell me the recommended amount for private tours, restaurants or any other places. Thank you again for the information.

Yes most places take credit cards but some restrict very small purchases to cash. You may also get a currency conversion charge but that depends on your provider.

On the P&O ship there is a daily service gratuity and you are free to remove it (but service is usually pretty good so it is deserved) leave it on, pay it in cash or add more to it on account or in cash if you wish to. You may also want some smaller notes to give a tip to room service for a delivery eg £1 or 2. P&O FAQs give all the details about all this.

P&O provide port guides that advise on the currency of the day in each location. I believe the ships have a currency exchange but as I have never used it I can't say for certain or what the rates are like - has anyone else used and can advise the OP?

In my own opinion (and others may chip in here) on land tipping is not so prevalent in the Uk or in Europe in general as it is in the US but it does still happen. Each country differs about this as per local customs so for example I would tip for a meal, taxi, or room service here in Scotland but I seldom tip a bar tender.

We usually do what we would do in the Uk so 10% in a restaurant for adequate service and more 15-20% if really excellent (also check that there is not already an added service charge on the bill) Small tip to baggage handlers at the port eg £1 per case. Small tip to taxi drivers.

On bus tours we do 5 euros each for a short trip and 10 euros each for a longer one. On a small group tour where there has been more personal attention or assistance probably double up the above. That's just my personal view though.

Tipping is very personal and as I said in Europe/ UK it is not as big an issue as in the US but still appreciated.

The exchange rate if you wish to change currency on board is abysmal. It would probably be even worse if you wanted to change $ into €, as the $ would probably first be converted into the equivalent of £, before being then converted into €, so you would lose out twice.

Best bet is to use ATMs.

Yes most places take credit cards but some restrict very small purchases to cash. You may also get a currency conversion charge but that depends on your provider.

On the P&O ship there is a daily service gratuity and you are free to remove it (but service is usually pretty good so it is deserved) leave it on, pay it in cash or add more to it on account or in cash if you wish to. You may also want some smaller notes to give a tip to room service for a delivery eg £1 or 2. P&O FAQs give all the details about all this.

P&O provide port guides that advise on the currency of the day in each location. I believe the ships have a currency exchange but as I have never used it I can't say for certain or what the rates are like - has anyone else used and can advise the OP?

In my own opinion (and others may chip in here) on land tipping is not so prevalent in the Uk or in Europe in general as it is in the US but it does still happen. Each country differs about this as per local customs so for example I would tip for a meal, taxi, or room service here in Scotland but I seldom tip a bar tender.

We usually do what we would do in the Uk so 10% in a restaurant for adequate service and more 15-20% if really excellent (also check that there is not already an added service charge on the bill) Small tip to baggage handlers at the port eg £1 per case. Small tip to taxi drivers.

On bus tours we do 5 euros each for a short trip and 10 euros each for a longer one. On a small group tour where there has been more personal attention or assistance probably double up the above. That's just my personal view though.

Tipping is very personal and as I said in Europe/ UK it is not as big an issue as in the US but still appreciated.

Thank you for all this great information. Tipping is a big thing here in the states and I don't want to short change anyone. I can't wait to make a long awaited trip to Europe.

. I'm just hoping Cunard doens't require gowns and tuxes. Thanks for the tip on the weather since we will be there in May. So layers it will be.

I'm afraid Cunard is more formal than P&O, and you will be limited to the buffet and the room attached to it (Winter Garden on QM2, Garden Room on QE) on formal nights if not in formal attire. However, you can avoid ball gowns - black trousers and dressy top is fine, even though you'll be in a minority. More rigid for the chaps - formal night = dinner jacket or suit and tie, informal nights (or whatever they call it this week) jacket compulsory for men. The good news is they dumped compulsory ties a couple of years ago. Average number of formal nights is 2 per week, all the rest informal, so jacket in some shape or form is required every night.

Regarding the weather, we did the Baltic in May a few years ago, and had fantastic weather right through the cruise. It's all the luck of the draw.

I'm afraid Cunard is more formal than P&O, and you will be limited to the buffet and the room attached to it (Winter Garden on QM2, Garden Room on QE) on formal nights if not in formal attire. However, you can avoid ball gowns - black trousers and dressy top is fine, even though you'll be in a minority. More rigid for the chaps - formal night = dinner jacket or suit and tie, informal nights (or whatever they call it this week) jacket compulsory for men. The good news is they dumped compulsory ties a couple of years ago. Average number of formal nights is 2 per week, all the rest informal, so jacket in some shape or form is required every night.

Regarding the weather, we did the Baltic in May a few years ago, and had fantastic weather right through the cruise. It's all the luck of the draw.

Thank You AnnieC for some great info. So sounds like a lady can wear slacks and dressy top and men will need a jacket every night. I can handle that. Will that work for P&O also? We could just have them cleaned for all 3 cruises and not have a ton of luggage. Thanks again. I feel much better now.

The exchange rate if you wish to change currency on board is abysmal. It would probably be even worse if you wanted to change $ into €, as the $ would probably first be converted into the equivalent of £, before being then converted into €, so you would lose out twice.

Best bet is to use ATMs.

Thank You for the info. I will go to a bank and get what I need. Thanks for the heads up.

Just a word of reassurance for your husband about the dark suit, instead of dinner suit/tuxedo - more and more men have ditched the fancy dress in favour of something more comfortable and sensible, and I can assure you that he won't feel at all out of place in a dark suit.

Things are starting to change in the UK on formal dress as younger people replace the older generation, but it's going to take a little while yet before the formal nights are finally gone.

On our recent P&O cruises, this includes Aurora and Ventura, I would estimate that over 90% of men still wear a dinner jacket on formal evenings - possibly higher than 90% on Aurora. Yes of course it is fine for a man to wear a lounge suit but I wouldn't agree that more and more men are ditching the 'fancy dress' as the poster refers to dinner suits.

On our recent P&O cruises, this includes Aurora and Ventura, I would estimate that over 90% of men still wear a dinner jacket on formal evenings - possibly higher than 90% on Aurora. Yes of course it is fine for a man to wear a lounge suit but I wouldn't agree that more and more men are ditching the 'fancy dress' as the poster refers to dinner suits.

Based on most of the cruises I have been on recently I would agree with you Annieuk. There were a few more lounge suits on Brittania on a school holiday period cruise but other times of the year and other ships it's very much as you describe.

Just a word of reassurance for your husband about the dark suit, instead of dinner suit/tuxedo - more and more men have ditched the fancy dress in favour of something more comfortable and sensible, and I can assure you that he won't feel at all out of place in a dark suit.

Things are starting to change in the UK on formal dress as younger people replace the older generation, but it's going to take a little while yet before the formal nights are finally gone.

I certainly don't think this is the case at all. Younger people do wear dinner suits. You only need to go to Next to see they stock a good range for younger people.

Wishful thinking I suggest.

I certainly don't think this is the case at all. Younger people do wear dinner suits. You only need to go to Next to see they stock a good range for younger people.

Wishful thinking I suggest.

Not wishful thinking - more to do with reassuring somebody who asked that they won't feel remotely out of place with a dark suit. If people choose to dress up, that's fine by me - but it's a peculiarly British thing, and tends to be favoured amongst those who like to hang on to past traditions.

By all means wear a dinner suit if you choose to - but you won't feel at all out of place in a suit.

Not wishful thinking - more to do with reassuring somebody who asked that they won't feel remotely out of place with a dark suit. If people choose to dress up, that's fine by me - but it's a peculiarly British thing, and tends to be favoured amongst those who like to hang on to past traditions.

By all means wear a dinner suit if you choose to - but you won't feel at all out of place in a suit.

Not sure about a tradition, more a desire to dress a bit more smartly than usual, and make the evening a little more special. I live and die in jeans, so it is nice to wear something different occasionally.

I agree that it is good to let the OP know that he will not be out of place in dark suit.