Question on Traditional dinning and anytime dinning

khlim2005

Hi cruisers,

We're family of eight, first time with Princess and first time boarding Sapphire.

Within the cruise planner, we selected traditional dinning as we prefer a fixed dinner time.

Can I find out is traditional dinning offer in all five "free" dinning room, or just one?

If only one, does it mean we can't try out other (four) dinning room? What can we do if said some family members like to try other dinning room? (Do we have to change our option to Anytime dinning instead)?

Thanks in advance.:)

Traditional dining is always in one specific dining room, and you are usually not permitted to go to the Anytime dining rooms. The menu in all the dining rooms is the same, the only differences are minor changes in decor, usually just the artwork. You and your family may get a chance to try one of the other dining rooms out for breakfast or lunch. Although I haven't been on Sapphire, on other cruises it has always been one of the Anytime dining rooms that were used for breakfast and lunch.

Traditional dining is always in one specific dining room, and you are usually not permitted to go to the Anytime dining rooms. The menu in all the dining rooms is the same, the only differences are minor changes in decor, usually just the artwork. You and your family may get a chance to try one of the other dining rooms out for breakfast or lunch. Although I haven't been on Sapphire, on other cruises it has always been one of the Anytime dining rooms that were used for breakfast and lunch.

Diamond and Sapphire are (or at least were) different. All of the other Grand and Grand-like class ships have two midship MDRs (5 and 6) and one aft (6). Diamond and Sapphire have those two mid-ship MDRs split into halves (6/mid/port, 6/mid/starboard, 5/mid/port, 5/mid/starboard). One of those four, plus the one 6/aft, serve early traditional. As that early seating empties out of the midship room, it converts to ATD.

Here's the rub: each of those four MDRs has (or at least had) a theme. It shows in the name and in the decor. That MDR has a "signature" dish, NOT listed on the menu, that repeats every night, but is not available in any other MDR. For example, the 'Santa Fe' MDR has a Southwest (US) theme, and had some sort of southwest dish as its signature dish. If you liked it last night, you can get it again tonight and tomorrow night and every night until they drag you off the ship.

Again, they may have changed this completely since it's been 5 years since I was on the Sapphire, but it was unique, and it took us about 6 days into a 7-day cruise to truly figure it out. That said, if you have 8 people, I'd probably go for traditional as it'll simply suit you better overall.

I guess Anytime Time Dining is more appropriate for you. Your time will be more manageable when change of venue is desired

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Except the the OP has a family group of 8 and may encounter significant wait time for a table in anytime.

Switching between Trad and Anytime is not possible.

However, your group of 8 can go to the other dining venues buffet, pay extra restaurants, room service etc. and simply miss one evening or more in the MDR.

Diamond and Sapphire are (or at least were) different. All of the other Grand and Grand-like class ships have two midship MDRs (5 and 6) and one aft (6). Diamond and Sapphire have those two mid-ship MDRs split into halves (6/mid/port, 6/mid/starboard, 5/mid/port, 5/mid/starboard). One of those four, plus the one 6/aft, serve early traditional. As that early seating empties out of the midship room, it converts to ATD.

Here's the rub: each of those four MDRs has (or at least had) a theme. It shows in the name and in the decor. That MDR has a "signature" dish, NOT listed on the menu, that repeats every night, but is not available in any other MDR. For example, the 'Santa Fe' MDR has a Southwest (US) theme, and had some sort of southwest dish as its signature dish. If you liked it last night, you can get it again tonight and tomorrow night and every night until they drag you off the ship.

Again, they may have changed this completely since it's been 5 years since I was on the Sapphire, but it was unique, and it took us about 6 days into a 7-day cruise to truly figure it out. That said, if you have 8 people, I'd probably go for traditional as it'll simply suit you better overall.

Ah, yes, I forgot that Sapphire was one of those ships. However with Traditional dining it's irrelevant as you can only go to the dining room and table you are assigned to.

I wonder if they are still doing those signature dishes? It may have changed with the Curtis Stone deal as Princess offers one of his dishes each night on a rotating basis. Plus they've trimmed the MDR menus down a bit, combining appetisers, soups and salads with less choice on some nights, and having less choice in desserts as well.

Hi cruisers,

We're family of eight, first time with Princess and first time boarding Sapphire.

Within the cruise planner, we selected traditional dinning as we prefer a fixed dinner time.

Can I find out is traditional dinning offer in all five "free" dinning room, or just one?

If only one, does it mean we can't try out other (four) dinning room? What can we do if said some family members like to try other dinning room? (Do we have to change our option to Anytime dinning instead)?

You will be assigned to a DR with the same table, waiters and time each evening.

Menus in all 5 DR's are the same. The Sapphire used to have a few special themed menu items that were specific to the 4 smaller DR's. In the past you were able to order these items from any DR. Just ask about them if they still exist.

If all of you want to dine together each evening then it is better to stay with Traditional Dining. Tables for 8 are kind of difficult to get in Anytime Dining. If during the cruise TD isn't working out for your group, speak with the matire'd. You can be switched to ATD for the balance of the cruise.

And to clarify, if you select Anytime dining you may NOT be able to switch from Anytime to Traditional. It tends to get solidly booked. So if in doubt, go with Traditional and switch if you don't like it.

If you are dining elsewhere its kind to let your server know in advance, but as you would be a full table, probably not essential.

Hi, appreciate all of your response, thanks!

Understand with 8 family members, it's more appropriate with traditional dinning where we will avoid irregular dinner hour and also waiting time.

The downside would be `stuck` in one venue every night unless we go buffet or paid dinning. Another would be luck if we are assigned to a table of unfavourable area.

Edited by khlim2005

Understand with 8 family members, it's more appropriate with traditional dinning where we will avoid irregular dinner hour and also waiting time.

The downside would be `stuck` in one venue every night unless we go buffet or paid dinning. Another would be luck if we are assigned to a table of unfavourable area.

Sorry, I can no longer resist. Dining has 1 "n" in the middle.

Except for the potential of the one 'signature' dish (if I remember correctly they were osso buco, pork chops, fajitas, and a tempura dish?) the food is exactly the same in each of the five dining rooms on the Sapphire so you are not 'stuck' because of food choices. There really aren't significantly unfavorable areas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There really aren't significantly unfavorable areas

This basically true. People may have preferences that may or may not be accommodated.

The exception to the statement about no unfavorable areas: the table next to or near the table with screaming unruly children or the loud voiced belligerent buffoon that has a long winded opinion on everything.

This basically true. People may have preferences that may or may not be accommodated.

The exception to the statement about no unfavorable areas: the table next to or near the table with screaming unruly children or the loud voiced belligerent buffoon that has a long winded opinion on everything.

But that sort unfavorable area will often change from cruise to cruise. If we have issues like those mentioned above when in TD we work with the Maitre d' to change our table in TD or switch to Anytime Dining.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same menu is used each night for all of the MDRs and ADRs. It's been years since we were on the Sapphire' date=' but I remember the head waiter coming to our table and offered to bring us a "special" item from one of the four dining rooms with the different cuisines.[/quote']

That still exists.

It's called Club Class.

Hi cruisers, ...

What can we do if said some family members like to try other dinning room? (Do we have to change our option to Anytime dinning instead)?

Like other have said stay with Traditional. For the family members that would like to try another dining experience they have so many choices: International cafe, Alfredo's Pizzeria, Horizon court, Pub lunches (when offered), Trident Grill, Sabatini's, Sterling Steakhouse and for a special treat they can sign up for the Chef's Table. Eating in a different dining room with the same menu and a different decor is all they would be gaining by changing to Anytime Dining. Also anytime dining doesn't always mean you can dine anytime....only when tables are available....and with a large group you may have a long wait ...same with tables for two or if you choose not to join others. Waiters have always gone out of their way for us to bring special items as long as they were available on the ship- things like fresh strawberries with the cheesecake, dishes that were served in a themed dining room, etc.

Have a great cruise and know that everyone will get plenty to eat.

It's been five years since we were on the Sapphire. We were also on seven years ago. We had traditional dining both times. One of our waiters was great about letting us order the specialty main dish from the other dining rooms. One of our waiters made it sound like he would have to get permission to do so--but in the end still let me do it.

It's been five years since we were on the Sapphire. We were also on seven years ago. We had traditional dining both times. One of our waiters was great about letting us order the specialty main dish from the other dining rooms. One of our waiters made it sound like he would have to get permission to do so--but in the end still let me do it.
The DR's share a common galley on each deck so it was/is easy to get the osso buco or pork chops in Savoy or Vivaldi, or the frajitas or tempura? in the Santa Fe, Pacific Moon or International DR's. It is more problematic to have the waiters need to go between decks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums