Carnival Toilet Paper Quality

milford7355

I have no problems with the toilet paper on the ship, even though I am 100% Charmin in my own home. I've used much worse toilet paper than what is on the ship. I wouldn't waste precious space in my suitcase on rolls of toilet paper.

I know this may be a crappy question-----butt,

What is the quality of the bathroom tissue they provide? Is it recommended to bring my own high quality bio-degradable supply.

Maybe a silly question, however, extremely important to me.

Thanks

If it's that important to you then bring your own.

Now, I will add a disclaimer to my statement that any toilet paper is fine. Regardless of whether you use the provided stuff, or bring your own, if you wad up half a roll at a time, like my kids did when they were young, any toilet paper will cause a clog.

So it sounds like non-Carnival TP is okay to bring and use, but any kind of wipes are not acceptable to flush. Thanks for the info.

There is septic friendly wipes for kids out there

You can use those. Not sure why someone asked what your kid uses in school. Maybe they have some odd interests

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone who does this is antisocial. Don't even go saying it's a medical necessity because it's not. My ancestors used pine cones and tree bark and when my other ancestors arrived on their genocidal quest, they commented how terrible the European hygeine practices were.

Your ancestors didn't come over on a cruise ship right ?

Did you mean antisocial personality disorder? As in a sociopath?

Doody

I bring non-woven wet wipes when I travel. They get the job done even in the third world where paper as we know it is not used. (Don't eat with your left hand in India) I have never clogged a john and 42 wipes in a reclose-able package are more than enough to last on a 7 day cruise. They take up less space than a normal roll of paper.

Since I don't believe anyone else on CC has ever rooted out a clog from a vacuum toilet system, I speak from experience, and request that no wipes, septic friendly or not, non-woven or not be flushed down the toilet. Vacuum systems are not like the waste water systems on land where the pipe size increases as the distance from the individual toilet increases to account for additional volume of flow. In your house, the pipe under a toilet is 4" in diameter, and 6" in diameter when it leaves your house (from 12 sq. inches to 28 sq. inches of cross section). On a ship, the piping is 2" in diameter (3 sq. inches cross section), and remains that diameter regardless of how many toilets are on the line until it gets to near the engine room where it goes to 2.5" in diameter. Also, since the system does not rely on gravity to have the waste flow, many toilets will actually flush up a deck to minimize the longitudinal pipe runs. Therefore, your large wad of toilet paper, or your wipes have to traverse many feet of small diameter piping, around bends, and wipes will clog the system. It may not clog your toilet like it does on land, but it may clog the line way down the pipe, which will shut off the vacuum from your toilet and many others on the same branch.

Manufacturer's claims about non-woven wet wipes being "flushable" are talking about compatibility with land-based systems, not marine vacuum toilet systems.

What does wanting decent quality toilet paper have to do with being antisocial?

If you want to use the rationale of hey our ancestors had it much worse we could apply that to anything, why use the beds there either[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

I'm sure his ancestors didn't sail on a cruise ship either.... :rolleyes:

Since I don't believe anyone else on CC has ever rooted out a clog from a vacuum toilet system, I speak from experience, and request that no wipes, septic friendly or not, non-woven or not be flushed down the toilet. Vacuum systems are not like the waste water systems on land where the pipe size increases as the distance from the individual toilet increases to account for additional volume of flow. In your house, the pipe under a toilet is 4" in diameter, and 6" in diameter when it leaves your house (from 12 sq. inches to 28 sq. inches of cross section). On a ship, the piping is 2" in diameter (3 sq. inches cross section), and remains that diameter regardless of how many toilets are on the line until it gets to near the engine room where it goes to 2.5" in diameter. Also, since the system does not rely on gravity to have the waste flow, many toilets will actually flush up a deck to minimize the longitudinal pipe runs. Therefore, your large wad of toilet paper, or your wipes have to traverse many feet of small diameter piping, around bends, and wipes will clog the system. It may not clog your toilet like it does on land, but it may clog the line way down the pipe, which will shut off the vacuum from your toilet and many others on the same branch.

Manufacturer's claims about non-woven wet wipes being "flushable" are talking about compatibility with land-based systems, not marine vacuum toilet systems.

Thanks for sharing this. I found it pretty interesting and hope this information deters people from insisting on bringing their own.....but in the end (pun intended) people are going to do what they want regardless and damn the facts to hell.

All these people who are so sure its ok to put in disposalable wipes and tp that doesnt dissolve as quickly, geesh. I know from being on the lower decks that for sure ive seen them having to unclog toilets. And that the septic systems do back up.

anyone posts sure put those wipes in the toilet, of course they will dissolve and not clog up those pipes .... hasnt talked to the mainteance guys.

just because its not your toilet that clogs up doesnt mean they dont clog up later down the line. such selfish people who only think of themselves. I suspose they are in balconys higher up and not on the bottom decks where they do have to unclog pipes. please dont flush wipes.

bring your non septic charmin if you must but flushing wipes and claiming its ok??? not from what maintenance has told me. I have a slow learning sister who seems to have ocd about wrapping too much tp around her hand and backs up toilets on a regular basis. that stuff does not dissolve as easily as you all seem to believe. Its the people on the bottom decks who find out. Ive taken enough cruises, probably close to 100 and those pipes can stop up. why not be good to the environment? take some easily dissolved paper if you dont like carnivals. it can and does stop up lines.

Ive even been to some parks in other countries where they have signs to not put the tp in the toilet at all. throw it in the trash. seems like tulum was one of them.

anyone ever been located on a lower deck and smelled that smell??

I have no problems with the toilet paper on the ship, even though I am 100% Charmin in my own home. I've used much worse toilet paper than what is on the ship. I wouldn't waste precious space in my suitcase on rolls of toilet paper.

^^This

As often as this topic comes up, and as often as Chief provides his usual authoritative answer, perhaps his responses should become a sticky on one of the appropriate CC boards? :confused:

Sticky might be too appropriate a term for this particular topic. [emoji32]

They shouldn't be thrown into the toilet and flushed. After use put them in the bags that are in the bathroom that are mainly used for other purposes.

Actually, wipes shouldn't be flushed in home systems either. Ask a plumber or anyone who works at a disposal plant. The wipes are generally not biodegradable, despite being advertised as such. They cause tremendous blockages in disposal units of all kinds, residential, commercial and marine.

If you care to watch a (disgusting) video, look for one taken at municipal disposal plants that have to cope with macerating wipes, tampons, and plastic diapers that are put into the systems.

OK, kids. Here's a lesson from TP 101:

First, my background; I worked in a paper mill for 35+ years that made generic brands of, you guessed it, bath tissue.

Toilet tissue in any form is totally biodegradable, and septic friendly. So, you folks wasting your cash on "camper friendly" paper have been taken in.

Now Puffs, Kleenex, etc contain a chemical generically called "wet-strength", preventing breakdown due to moisture. You really don't want to be flushing this stuff down any drain.

Simple as that!

Here ends the lesson. ;)

ChengPK to the rescue again! I asked a very similar question as I was packing for a cruise a few years ago, and he very kindly and patiently answered the many who 'absolutely knew better' about this topic. The roll of cushy TP goes in the suitcase, and if it gets squished, no harm done. Mash it back into shape when you get to where you're going, and you're ready to roll! ;)

As mentioned, if you're one of those people who wrap themselves from fingertip to elbow with potty paper, get yourself some feminine hygiene baggies or diaper disposal baggies. I doubt ANY system can handle that kind of a load!

CSB time: We used to have a regular houseguest who was an 'arm wrapper' ... After several expensive calls to various plumbers, we would purposely buy the thinnest TP we could find for his visits. :eek: