HAL Passenger Beware

DEdwards25

I am so very sorry for your loss, you must be devastated and my heart goes out to you.

However, you asked for opinions, and I concur with those who say HAL really does not have to reimburse you anything. Travel insurance is mandatory in my house - especially with a pre-existing condition - and can be very, very expensive on a longer cruise. However, we have to factor that cost in with our cruise fare.

If HAL reimbursed those who do not purchase insurance protection, that sends a huge message out to everyone else. However, perhaps following up with a letter to them might bring some form of compensation for a future cruise.

My sister was booked on the 10/18 sailing of the Konigsdam. She had a stroke and died on September 7.

She and her husband always felt trip insurance was not necessary.

No refund was given and none was expected.

How very, very sad.

I am so sorry to hear of the OP's loss and Homosassa's.

All so sad and I know the OP is still grieving.

I do agree with the others that no compensation should be forthcoming from HAL but, I do think the suggestion to write is a good one. Perhaps something will be offered for a future cruise, but I would expect that that is the most that can be hoped for.

All of our condolences.

I am very sorry for your loss.

We always take HAL Platinum coverage. We’ve had to cancel two cruises this year and I’m very happy to have had the coverage.

Perhaps if anything good has come of this it’s that it taught others the importance of insuring their trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sorry for your loss. I have had breast cancer for ten years. We were booked on a cruise on another line to Japan last August. Nine days before leaving, I was in the hospital having major abdominal surgery to remove a large surprise tumor. So much for our cruise.

We had purchased travel insurance from Travel Guard, making sure that pre-existing conditions were covered. We got back every penny. I am sorry that you didn't realize that this was an important part of cruising.

This happens all the time to cruise lines. They are upfront with you that you need to buy travel insurance, and any travel agent will tell you the same thing. Why didn't you buy it?

We have more cruises booked, and for each one we have purchased cruise insurance that covers everything from a recurrence of my cancer to my death. Yes, it costs money, but not as much as losing your entire fare and air travel.

I am so sorry for the loss of your much loved wife.

Contact your credit card company ASAP. There is a lot of insurance coverage built into the better cards. If you are lucky enough to have something like Chase Sapphire Reserve you will get a refund from them. Forget fighting with Holland America.

We mostly self insure knowing the credit card company offers benefits. We can also afford and have taken losses here and there. Such is life.

We’ve purchased third party travel insurance occasionally when visiting very exotic locations.

It is easy to become insurance poor. You can buy insurance for almost anything in life but after a while the premiums add up.

Very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, HAL did nothing wrong. That's why there's insurance. I know it's like getting kicked when you're already down, but it is what it is without insurance. Here's another example of no insurance - my sister and her husband bought cheap tickets to Scotland. Two days before she didn't feel well and dr sent her to Emergency at the hospital. Thank God they did, as they discovered she had two lung clots. If she had flown, she probably wouldn't be here today. They lost the cost of their airline ticket, the train tickets they had booked, some of the hotels they had book, as well as flights within the UK that they had booked. An expensive lesson, but the airline did nothing wrong either. Good luck to you.

Very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, HAL did nothing wrong. That's why there's insurance. I know it's like getting kicked when you're already down, but it is what it is without insurance. Here's another example of no insurance - my sister and her husband bought cheap tickets to Scotland. Two days before she didn't feel well and dr sent her to Emergency at the hospital. Thank God they did, as they discovered she had two lung clots. If she had flown, she probably wouldn't be here today. They lost the cost of their airline ticket, the train tickets they had booked, some of the hotels they had book, as well as flights within the UK that they had booked. An expensive lesson, but the airline did nothing wrong either. Good luck to you.

Good points. I would not expect the airlines, hotels and trains to refund a non-refundable ticket, so why expect the cruiseline to do it?

I too am very sorry for your loss.

I realize that you must be disappointed in Hal but that is why there is insurance. If they make an exception for one person then they would need to do that for each and every person. I have friends who have lost spouses and also ones whose spouse was unable to travel for the cruise. Some had insurance and others don't.

Again I am so very sorry what you have gone through but I would not have expected HAL to give a refund back or a credit.

Keith

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know what a shock it must have been for you, and as you said, the most difficult day of your life. My DH passed in April, and so I understand a bit of your pain. Please know that my prayers are with you at this time. I'm sorry that HAL disappointed you, but this is their policy. Again, please accept my condolences.

I am so sorry to hear of your very sad loss. I can only imagine how you are feeling. As we age we realise how precious life is and how precious our loved ones are.

I am sorry, too, that you have been left out of pocket for your cancelled cruise, but sadly you weighed up the risk and decided not to take out insurance.

For us Brits, travel insurance is something we don't even think about, we just buy it. Over the past 20 years we have spent out many thousands of pounds in insurance, and I'm so glad we did. Yes, for 97% of our cruises that could be said to be money down the drain as we returned home with no unexpected medical emergencies, thank goodness. But on at least 3 occasions we DID need to make a claim, for things we had no idea were even on the cards - the last was just over a year ago when, in the USA, I had difficulty breathing and had to be hospitalised, an event which cost $30,000, which was refunded in full by our insurance company. That was a totally unexpected medical emergency.

I have to say that I am shocked that, having known of your wife's very sad diagnosis of cancer you did not feel it pertinent to buy insurance, just in case. Had you had no pre-existing medical conditions it would have been risky, but with such a diagnosis it would seem essential.

Unfortunately, as others have said, the cruise line cannot be seen to give refunds to those who take the risk and save money by not buying insurance. It would hardly be fair to those who DO pay substantial sums to cover themselves for any eventuality, would it?

Yes, it seems harsh, and in your very sad circumstances it must seem unfair, but I am sure that can understand that it would open the flood gates, and as someone has already said, might encourage fraudulent claims.

I do hope that you will gain solace in memories of your precious wife, and the happy to you spent together on cruises.

My wife and I retired earlier this year and to celebrate, we booked a 2-week Panama Canal cruise on the Oosterdam, departing San Diego on 10/21/2017. We have always booked Neptune Suites on HAL because we appreciate the extra space. This cruise would’ve put us into the 3-Star Mariner category, which provides additional privileges. My wife of 41-years was diagnosed with breast cancer 5-years ago and 2-weeks before the cruise, something totally ununforeseen by either us, or her treating physicians happened and she was hospitalized, spent 1 week in ICU, then 4-days in hospice and passed away...it was the worse day of my life. No, we didn’t purchase the cancelation insurance because there was no reason to believe we would have a issue because my wife’s chemo treatments were scheduled around the trip. After she passed away, I contacted our travel agent and asked her to plead my case with HAL because of the circumstances and also my long term association with HAL. Not good enough. Out of the $13K spent, i got back the taxes and the beverage and specialty dining package we purchased. HAL didn’t even offer a partial credit, you should be ashamed.

We all certainly feel bad for this poster, losing his wife so suddenly. However, a couple of things concern me.

First, the poster just joined CC in October and this is his first post. And he has yet to repost on this topic.

Second, he states that he is a 2 Star and this cruise would put him as a 3 Star, which means he has between 25 and 75 Mariner Days. Since he always travels in a Neptune (double points/days), he likely has only 20-30 actual sea days with HAL. Yet he mentions his long term association with HAL as a reason that they should refund him some of the fare.

Third, the cruise was scheduled around his wife's chemo treatments, but they did not think they needed cruise insurance?

I do not want to be too critical here, especially due to the sad situation, but this post does seem a bit strange. Or is it just me?

Trip insurance isn't just a matter of cancellation issues. We had a friend who had a heart attack aboard ship on an Alaskan cruise and had to be airlifted to a hospital and then airlifted all the way back to Southern California with an accompanying nurse. That was lesson enough for us to have full medical and cancellation coverage on our cruises (including for our entire party of 10 sailing in December). The expense of the insurance is less than the potential financial losses if something happens and we aren't covered. And there is the overall peace of mind, as well.

I have to say that I am shocked that, having known of your wife's very sad diagnosis of cancer you did not feel it pertinent to buy insurance, just in case. Had you had no pre-existing medical conditions it would have been risky, but with such a diagnosis it would seem essential.

Your post is very nicely worded.

I have to agree with the above. Planning a cruise around chemo treatments seems risky. They sometimes have to reschedule those treatments based on things like results of blood tests.

We all certainly feel bad for this poster, losing his wife so suddenly. However, a couple of things concern me.

First, the poster just joined CC in October and this is his first post. And he has yet to repost on this topic.

Second, he states that he is a 2 Star and this cruise would put him as a 3 Star, which means he has between 25 and 75 Mariner Days. Since he always travels in a Neptune (double points/days), he likely has only 20-30 actual sea days with HAL. Yet he mentions his long term association with HAL as a reason that they should refund him some of the fare.

Third, the cruise was scheduled around his wife's chemo treatments, but they did not think they needed cruise insurance?

I do not want to be too critical here, especially due to the sad situation, but this post does seem a bit strange. Or is it just me?

Actually there has been a similar thread on the Carnival Forum (OP rant and no return to thread).

I was wondering if some one is trying to start a public opinion war to force some type of change or generate one of those sob story features local TV channels, yellow press, or spurious websites are so fond of headlining.

Luckily, in both of the threads, more experienced travelors prevail and there is no sob story traction.

That part did seem unusual to me. I wouldn't have had the energy to go on a cruise when I was doing Chemo, and I wouldn't have wanted to be away from my doctors. We are all different of course, but I could barely function let alone enjoy a vacation.

What a wonderful thoughtful well articulated response to a difficult post.

I wish all my postings were as kind, gentle and honest as this.

Bravo for showing all of us how we should always speak (write) to each other.

I am so sorry to hear of your very sad loss. I can only imagine how you are feeling. As we age we realise how precious life is and how precious our loved ones are.

I am sorry, too, that you have been left out of pocket for your cancelled cruise, but sadly you weighed up the risk and decided not to take out insurance.

For us Brits, travel insurance is something we don't even think about, we just buy it. Over the past 20 years we have spent out many thousands of pounds in insurance, and I'm so glad we did. Yes, for 97% of our cruises that could be said to be money down the drain as we returned home with no unexpected medical emergencies, thank goodness. But on at least 3 occasions we DID need to make a claim, for things we had no idea were even on the cards - the last was just over a year ago when, in the USA, I had difficulty breathing and had to be hospitalised, an event which cost $30,000, which was refunded in full by our insurance company. That was a totally unexpected medical emergency.

Unfortunately, as others have said, the cruise line cannot be seen to give refunds to those who take the risk and save money by not buying insurance. It would hardly be fair to those who DO pay substantial sums to cover themselves for any eventuality, would it?

Yes, it seems harsh, and in your very sad circumstances it must seem unfair, but I am sure that can understand that it would open the flood gates, and as someone has already said, might encourage fraudulent claims.

I do hope that you will gain solace in memories of your precious wife, and the happy to you spent together on cruises.

In fairness to the OP, he might well have a long assciation with HAL and might have cruised before the Mariner program when you got no credits on being in a suite. Long association doesn't always mean a lot of cruises ;)

Therein lies the difference and a valid point, but, it should make no difference to HAL's decision in this circumstance, as tragic as it was.

I suspect as to point 3), it would be difficult to get insurance since this is a pre-existing condition so HAL's insurance would have been probably a good bet, but hindsight is everything.

If they decided they needed HAL's insurance the day of final payment it would have been too late.

Whenever an OP doesn't return I always find it disturbing too, especially when it is the first time posting, but the OP is grieving and going through a tumultuous time. I would like to think this is an exception to the the "one post wonder" and totally understand how the OP must feel.

I am sure, eventually he will understand, I hope.

I was unable to get travel insurance at all until a year after any cancer treatment. :(

Congrats on overcoming :)

But there is insurance - HAL offers it as do others who disregard pre existing conditions. there is certainly a premium for it but those many who have issues swear by it.

there are always options - whether the price is worth the risk is another question - but for some, it certainly is.

We are relatively "youngish" (mid-60's) and in relatively good health but realize that "stuff" happens. Having a diagnosis of cancer and undergoing chemotherapy just increases your chances of stuff happening. If it had been me, I would have traded down from a Neptune Suite to a more affordable cabin and bought the best insurance I could get - including evacuation insurance. Sad lesson.

I was unable to get travel insurance at all until a year after any cancer treatment. :(

:confused: I have medical history tthough thankfully not cancer and have never had to answer any questtions as to pre-exisitng when I buy my third party insurance. I always buy it in time t o have pre-existting c overage. They do not ask me any specifics about my healffh history. I have never had to make a claim and always have booked with the same insurer.

:confused: I have medical history tthough thankfully not cancer and have never had to answer any questtions as to pre-exisitng when I buy my third party insurance. I always buy it in time t o have pre-existting c overage. They do not ask me any specifics about my healffh history. I have never had to make a claim and always have booked with the same insurer.

Me too in all specifics in all of Sail's details other than that I have needed to make a claim with my same insurer twice for cruise cancellation issues and once for a medical claim. Both claims of which were promptly paid.

Surely sorry for the loss of the OP!

But, his unfortunate experience reinforces the need for travel insurance. Surely costly at the time of purchase, but what's the cost if it is needed and not available?