HAL Passenger Beware

DEdwards25

In the minority here but we self insure for cancelling even when we travel with 9 family members (we pick up the tab). We have saved so much we certainly can cruise many times over with the savings. If we have to cancel in the future we are still way ahead. BUT we always have medical evacuation insurance and needed it in Mexico 2 years ago. The plane, pilots, and nurse was $300,000. (The insurance company was Travelgard and I believe they got that price reduced.)
My DH and I self insured fo r a great mnayc ruises. We had medical insurande that paid ianywhere in the world. We had evacuation and repatriation ... med-jet coverage. but did not insure for cancellation. While, or course, we would not have wanted to lose the price of a cruise, it was a set , known amount and if we couled not afford it, we would not have booked it. We were very luck tto never cancel within penalty hase. HOwever, each year we got older and we went onto Medicare which won't pay out side the country. At that time, we sttartred to insure, NOT to get cancellation insurrance but in order to buymedical insuance t medical. We were willing to lose the known price of the cruise but not risk the unknown and possibly very high amount of medical bills. We saved a VERy large amount of money through the years when we did not buy cancellation insuance. Yes, we were lucky and never had to cancel in penalty phase. Much money saved by not paying premiums for insurance, we were not that despeeate to have. ... Yes, now, I buy it so I can buy medical. If I had a family of 9 traveling, I may have seen it differently. so many people c an make for exposure to so many chances for cancellation.

Now that it is history for me, I can state firrmly, for us, it wa s a v ery good choice we conssidered a rather small gamble Without doubt we cruised more than once on ( we caibdueered it a free cruise) all those premiums we did not pay This plan will not work for all. If someone cruises, as a couple, once every year or two, I might consider it a silly gamble and not worth the risk. We cruised some times 6-9f+ cruises in a year. Many cruises savings on unpaid premiums adds up to a lot of money. For Few cruises, it adds up to littlle in savings. If you don't foresee large savings, like we did, it makes little sense to risk loses.

Edited by sail7seas

For us, it has become an exercise in various travel-related strategies that fit our personal needs/wants. For example, for the past forty years we have never (with 1 exception) purchased cancellation insurance because we choose to self-insure that risk. We estimate that we are more than $100,000 ahead because of what we saved (on over 100 cruises) by NOT purchasing that kind of insurance. But having worked in the Medical Insurance Industry for over thirty years, we understand that the financial risk of health related issues is truly unlimited and can bankrupt nearly anyone (except Biillionaires). So we do purchase, for only $450 a year, an annual travel medical policy (GeoBlue) that gives us $250,000 of medical coverage (compare that to most cruise line policies that only give 10 or $20,000). That single policy (which covers both myself and DW covers the first 70 days of every trip we take for an entire year. That policy also covers up to $500,000 of medical evacuation.

As to cancellation risk we have a Chase credit card that gives us $10,000 of cancellation coverage (this can be doubled by getting a spousal card and splitting the billing) without having to pay any fee. Granted that $20,000 of cancellation (if using 2 cards) does not cover the longer cruises, but it sure helps...and really costs nothing. We do not believe in "cancel for anything" coverage because that involves choices (as opposed to a must). We have only canceled 1 cruise (inside the penalty period) in forty years and that happened to be the only cruise for which we bought special cancellation insurance (from CSA) because we had a great risk with inlaw health issues (and it we did cancel because my mother-in-law got very ill and passed).

The important thing to remember about most insurance is that it is a "choice" and everyone has their own "risk tolerance." One should analyze their own personal circumstances and then look for a policy that comes closest to meeting your specific needs. Do not get sucked into a policy just because its easy (such as the cruise line policies) since there are likely better policies out there that will meet your needs. We do think that Cruise Line policies are often the best deal for the elderly (over 80) since it can be difficult to find other policies to cover that age group.

Hank

For us, it has become an exercise in various travel-related strategies that fit our personal needs/wants. For example, for the past forty years we have never (with 1 exception) purchased cancellation insurance because we choose to self-insure that risk. We estimate that we are more than $100,000 ahead because of what we saved (on over 100 cruises) by NOT purchasing that kind of insurance. But having worked in the Medical Insurance Industry for over thirty years, we understand that the financial risk of health related issues is truly unlimited and can bankrupt nearly anyone (except Biillionaires). So we do purchase, for only $450 a year, an annual travel medical policy (GeoBlue) that gives us $250,000 of medical coverage (compare that to most cruise line policies that only give 10 or $20,000). That single policy (which covers both myself and DW covers the first 70 days of every trip we take for an entire year. That policy also covers up to $500,000 of medical evacuation.

Seems we viewed the subject in much the same way. We were not willing to blindly risk medical bills in unknown amount. We knew tHe cost of the cruise, thus the amount we were risking.

As to cancellation risk we have a Chase credit card that gives us $10,000 of cancellation coverage (this can be doubled by getting a spousal card and splitting the billing) without having to pay any fee. Granted that $20,000 of cancellation (if using 2 cards) does not cover the longer cruises, but it sure helps...and really costs nothing. We do not believe in "cancel for anything" coverage because that involves choices (as opposed to a must). We have only canceled 1 cruise (inside the penalty period) in forty years and that happened to be the only cruise for which we bought special cancellation insurance (from CSA) because we had a great risk with inlaw health issues (and it we did cancel because my mother-in-law got very ill and passed).

The important thing to remember about most insurance is that it is a "choice" and everyone has their own "risk tolerance." One should analyze their own personal circumstances and then look for a policy that comes closest to meeting your specific needs. Do not get sucked into a policy just because its easy (such as the cruise line policies) since there are likely better policies out there that will meet your needs. We do think that Cruise Line policies are often the best deal for the elderly (over 80) since it can be difficult to find other policies to cover that age group.

Hank

I should add Am Ex Platinum added some insurance benefits if you paid for the cruise with the card. I don't remember the specifics but know we never paid anhything above what was included in the annual membership fee.

Hank

I agree with much of this.

Chase Sapphire Reserve covers emergency cancellations by the cardholder for 10K and up to 20K per occurrence for other family members on that billing. The list of most impressive benefits includes 100K for emergency evacuation.

If you can qualify for CSR the travel benefits are the best I’ve ever seen. We each have our own account and split our travel Billings between the two cards to double up on rewards and benefits.

With few exceptions we comfortably self insure knowing we have CC benefits.

Almost every travel policy I’ve seen came with extensive fine print and exclusions. One time we were flying overseas for a group tour for which we had purchased Travelguard. A series of travel snafus and missed connections led to us missing two days of our tour. We filed a timely claim, submitted extensive documentation but the claim was denied because of the fine print. Fine print said the originating flight from our home airport had to be delayed more than four hours. Delta had rerouted us from the originating flight which invalidated our claim. Our insurance was worthless. We received no reimbursement for the additional expenses incurred including two nights in a hotel and expensive last minute flights to catch up to the tour group.

My wife and I retired earlier this year and to celebrate, we booked a 2-week Panama Canal cruise on the Oosterdam, departing San Diego on 10/21/2017. We have always booked Neptune Suites on HAL because we appreciate the extra space. This cruise would’ve put us into the 3-Star Mariner category, which provides additional privileges. My wife of 41-years was diagnosed with breast cancer 5-years ago and 2-weeks before the cruise, something totally ununforeseen by either us, or her treating physicians happened and she was hospitalized, spent 1 week in ICU, then 4-days in hospice and passed away...it was the worse day of my life. No, we didn’t purchase the cancelation insurance because there was no reason to believe we would have a issue because my wife’s chemo treatments were scheduled around the trip. After she passed away, I contacted our travel agent and asked her to plead my case with HAL because of the circumstances and also my long term association with HAL. Not good enough. Out of the $13K spent, i got back the taxes and the beverage and specialty dining package we purchased. HAL didn’t even offer a partial credit, you should be ashamed.

I am so very sorry for your loss. As others have said, trip cancellation insurance would have given you some financial recovery. Again, as others have said, please check with your credit card company -- some provide trip cancellation insurance as a benefit.

That's the beauty of pre-existing coverage and of HAL's Cancellation for any reason policy. Actually, for my purposes, HAL's was better because my concern was that my cat would be too ill for us to travel, and that would not have come under the pre-exisitng waiver. Sadly, we had to hug her for the last time two weeks ago. Haven't been able to let it go yet. Day by day . . .

I am very sorry about your cat :( Our pets touch our hearts so deeply, and we feel their loss so keenly.

As for self-insuring for trip cancellation, a person needs to have cruised multiple times self-insured to reap the benefit of self-insuring. If, for example, one has self-insured for only 2, 7 day cruises, the cost on self-insurance on a third cruise being cancelled will still probably be a significant amount.

Very sorry for your loss.

My friend who was to travel with us had a cancer diagnosis, unexpectedly. She got all her money back on her HAL cruise not because of HAL, but because of an unknown benefit she had on her credit card. Check the credit card that you used and see if there is travel insurance as a benefit of using the card. She called her credit card company and explained the situation and found out she was covered. She's the second person I know that unexpectedly had to cancel, didn't have insurance, and had this benefit on her credit card. Just a thought.

OP: Do check the credit card for insurance on travel paid for with that card. Note however that, for health related cancellation/ most credit cards do not waive or existing conditions (I.e., health issues beginning or changing during a "look back" period from the day you made your initial trip deposit.

As to appealing to HAL: Google for the website of travel writer/ombudsman, Christopher Elliott. He publishes direct contact info for top execs of most travel related businesses. You could also ask him to intercede for you, which would depend on his interest/willingness to do a news column on your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a wonderful thoughtful well articulated response to a difficult post.

I wish all my postings were as kind, gentle and honest as this.

Bravo for showing all of us how we should always speak (write) to each other.

Thank you for your very kind words. It is a terrible situation for the OP, and I hope that the happy memories he has of cruises with his dear wife will, one day, overcome his sense of injustice by HollandAmerica.

First, let me offer my sincere condolences to the OP on the loss of his wife.

I stand as a minority of one as disagreeing, in part, with the apparent unanimous views regarding this issue. Outside of the travel industry, I know of no other industry that treats its most profitable and loyal customers with such ambivalence and lack of empathy. I am not suggesting that insurance isn't a prudent option or that HAL should reimburse the entire cost of the cruise. I do believe that a letter from HAL sympathetically explaining the cancellation policy along with their condolences combined with some token of remuneration such as awarding cruise days as if actually sailed or upgrading Mariner status might have ameliorated some of OP's dissatisfaction.

At this point, we are several days into this thread and the OP has not yet replied. I would guess the OP was in a phase of grieving where blame is assigned to others. I am not unsympathetic, as I lost my sister to breast cancer before she turned 40, but someone needs to say some responsibility and risk lies with the OP. The OP knew there was an issue. Yes, it would be great if HAL just accepted all risk and refunded the OP's fare, but why isn't the OP willing to acknowledge any risk?

First, let me offer my sincere condolences to the OP on the loss of his wife.

I stand as a minority of one as disagreeing, in part, with the apparent unanimous views regarding this issue. Outside of the travel industry, I know of no other industry that treats its most profitable and loyal customers with such ambivalence and lack of empathy. I am not suggesting that insurance isn't a prudent option or that HAL should reimburse the entire cost of the cruise. I do believe that a letter from HAL sympathetically explaining the cancellation policy along with their condolences combined with some token of remuneration such as awarding cruise days as if actually sailed or upgrading Mariner status might have ameliorated some of OP's dissatisfaction.

Put into the perspetcive of what corporate America is today, There is little time or room for empathy. It would be nice, of course, but not realisitc in today's world. IMO.

Edited by sail7seas

We could really come up with a list of expressions of material consideration of tough circumstances, by government and from business, that are simply not the reality but arguably "should" be, more impactful and more demonstrably needed than this. Sympathy is required; material consideration is apparently not. If anything, things continue to change in the opposite direction, requiring something to change, first, to stop the degradation. Then we can start talking about turning things back the other way.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

. We do not believe in "cancel for anything" coverage because that involves choices (as opposed to a must). We have only canceled 1 cruise (inside the penalty period) in forty years and that happened to be the only cruise for which we bought special cancellation insurance (from CSA) because we had a great risk with inlaw health issues (and it we did cancel because my mother-in-law got very ill and passed).

Hank

I don't think I understand your reference to cancellation insurance being a "choice" and not a "must." You go on to say that most insurance is a "choice", to which I agree. However, even declining medical insurance or med-jet insurance is a "choice" if one is foolish enough to embark on a long cruise without such insurance.

For those of us who have a likelihood of a situation occurring which would only be covered under a "cancel for any reason", i.e. a beloved pet's impending death, such a policy is a "must" if we don't want to lose 40K or 50K of deposits. And I am unaware of any credit card cancel provision that reimburses when a pet's health has declined.

You have frequently opined that cruise line's insurance can be bettered. And that would be true if HAL's CPP is an actual insurance policy. It is not, although it is converted upon sailing into an admittedly weak insurance policy. But the CPP should not be used as a substitute for medical/travel/evacuation insurance. Its primary benefit, unsurpassed by any other insurance that I have found, is for such instances when one has to cancel for a reason that no other insurance covers. And, again, I cite to my own experience with having a beloved pet die. The CPP is intended to supplement other insurance; it should not be used as a substitute. Your criticism of this policy seems to ignore this fact.

For those of us who have medical insurance which covers us anywhere in the world, additional medical insurance is unnecessary. For those of us who are willing to absorb any losses from missing the ship or luggage diverted by an airline, travel insurance is unnecessary. So, as you correctly pointed out, insurance is a "choice", not a "must." And that really is true in "all", not "most" situations.

Edited by Tampa Girl
Left out a word.

I don't think I understand your reference to cancellation insurance being a "choice" and not a "must." You go on to say that most insurance is a "choice", to which I agree. However, even declining medical insurance or med-jet insurance is a "choice" if one is foolish enough to embark on a long cruise without such insurance.

For those of us who have a likelihood of a situation occurring which would only be covered under a "cancel for any reason", i.e. a beloved pet's impending death, such a policy is a "must" if we don't want to lose 40K or 50K of deposits. And I am unaware of any credit card cancel provision that reimburses when a pet's health has declined.

You have frequently opined that cruise line's insurance can be bettered. And that would be true if HAL's CPP is an actual insurance policy. It is not, although it is converted upon sailing into an admittedly weak insurance policy. But the CPP should not be used as a substitute for medical/travel/evacuation insurance. Its primary benefit, unsurpassed by any other insurance that I have found, is for such instances when one has to cancel for a reason that no other insurance covers. And, again, I cite to my own experience with having a beloved pet die. The CPP is intended to supplement other insurance; it should not be used as a substitute. Your criticism of this policy seems to ignore this fact.

For those of us who have medical insurance which covers us anywhere in the world, additional medical insurance is unnecessary. For those of us who are willing to absorb any losses from missing the ship or luggage diverted by an airline, travel insurance is unnecessary. So, as you correctly pointed out, insurance is a "choice", not a "must." And that really is true in "all", not "most" situations.

In the case of travel insurance, I agree, it is a choice as is the type of policy one would select that presumably meets their needs best, , however In the case of autos. No choice, in most states , insurance is mandatory. in most cases, if one has a mortgage insurance on the real estate is a must on their home, (real property ) insurance is mandatory as a term of the mortgage......

Edited by sail7seas

Dear DEdwards25, This is very sad and shocking to say the least. Unbelievably COLD AND CALLOUS!!! Very sorry for your families loss. That said, my unsolicited advice is to write a letter to the President, Vice President President of Guest Relations, Public Relations etc. of Holland America Cruise Line. Be sure to include a Copy of the DEATH CERTIFICATE. Also offer to mail an Offically State Certified Stamped copy upon request. I always go straight to the top for these issues. Three recent example,

1.) INTEX has a zero return policy on their Air Matresses. I had 2 of them break after 2-3 uses each. I boxed them up, and great expense for mailing I must add, and mailed them to the Owner of Intexes Home. In what I learned is the most exspensive neighborhood in CA to live in. I received an immediate phone call and 2 mattress’s speedy quick.

2.). My daughter had a brand new jacket, the first time she tried to wear it the zipper broke. I sent it directly to the President of the Children’s Outerwear Company. A few weeks later the coat arrived in my mailbox with a new zipper.

3.) I purchased a new mobile phone that wasn’t working properly. I boxed it up and mailed it to the President of Customer Relations of the Top 5 Mobile Phone Service Providers. A few weeks later, a brand new upgraded phone appeared in my mailbox. I didn’t even ask for a phone. I mailed it to them so they could see what a piece of crap they were selling to their customers. If I had gone back to where I bought it I would have heard the usual, Once it is open we can’t take it back.

4.). Bear Paw Boots, only half the cost of UGGS but still $90.00 and when they fell apart after a few wearing I sent them back and asked that they inspect them for some defects, such as bad glue etc. I didn’t ask for new boots but, low and behold, in my mailbox a few weeks later, New Boots!

Point is, do the research, find out who is really in charge and then mail them a Death Certificate with a heartfelt letter, maybe two letters, one to their office, one to their home, with a note about how you were concerned that it may get rooted out at work and that you wanted to make sure he or she sees it. It has worked for me countless times. You may need to spend a few dollars on a people finder website for home addresses but your 5 figure investment is worth it. Good Luck.

P.S. As for Insurance, no one expects their lifelong partner to pass away immediately before a planned cruise. I do understand why you chose to save the money. I only bought it because my last vacation was ruined by a broken leg. I lost about $900.00 on that disaster. If I hadn’t just had that experience in August I very likely wouldn’t have purchased insurance either.

My wife and I retired earlier this year and to celebrate, we booked a 2-week Panama Canal cruise on the Oosterdam, departing San Diego on 10/21/2017. We have always booked Neptune Suites on HAL because we appreciate the extra space. This cruise would’ve put us into the 3-Star Mariner category, which provides additional privileges. My wife of 41-years was diagnosed with breast cancer 5-years ago and 2-weeks before the cruise, something totally ununforeseen by either us, or her treating physicians happened and she was hospitalized, spent 1 week in ICU, then 4-days in hospice and passed away...it was the worse day of my life. No, we didn’t purchase the cancelation insurance because there was no reason to believe we would have a issue because my wife’s chemo treatments were scheduled around the trip. After she passed away, I contacted our travel agent and asked her to plead my case with HAL because of the circumstances and also my long term association with HAL. Not good enough. Out of the $13K spent, i got back the taxes and the beverage and specialty dining package we purchased. HAL didn’t even offer a partial credit, you should be ashamed.

Gwendolyn &Vicki

In your examples it was the product that failed.

In OPs situation it wasn’t a case of product failure: it was OPs decision not to buy insurance- be it a CPP or private coverage for a possible loss. HAL spells out expectations in the cruise contract- including when final payment is due, and a schedule of what can be refundable during the penalty period. One can choose to purchase insurance- or not. That choice does not change the contract.

Gwendolyn &Vicki

In OPs situation it wasn’t a case of product failure: it was OPs decision not to buy insurance- be it a CPP or private coverage for a possible loss. HAL spells out expectations in the cruise contract- including when final payment is due, and a schedule of what can be refundable during the penalty period. One can choose to purchase insurance- or not. That choice does not change the contract.

Exactly! HAL did not fail to deliver on their part of the deal. If the OP had showed up at the dock with his bags, they would have taken him on the booked cruise. The OP, for reasons we can all sympathize with, simply did not show up to avail himself of what he had purchased, doing so knowingly without purchasing the insurance component.

Lots of interesting and helpful posts on this topic. However the OP has yet to acknowledge any of them and it would be nice if he did. If you take the time to post your disappointment in HAL, you should take the time to follow up on the topic. Perhaps the OP being new to C.C. he does not realize this.

Gwendolyn &Vicki

Exactly! HAL did not fail to deliver on their part of the deal. If the OP had showed up at the dock with his bags, they would have taken him on the booked cruise. The OP, for reasons we can all sympathize with, simply did not show up to avail himself of what he had purchased, doing so knowingly without purchasing the insurance component.

You are both correct in the distinctions you make between cases. Another distinction that I would make is that Gwendolyn &Vicki, no doubt, will continue to make purchases from the companies that served them well whereas I doubt the OP will ever again use HAL for his cruise needs.

I jumped into this thread because a friend of mine experienced a similar situation. He was a 3 or 4 star Mariner and typically booked suites. A number of years ago we booked adjoining suites for a Caribbean cruise.

3 days before sailing, he had a heart attack and had to cancel. He requested from HAL that the suite be assigned to one of his children which HAL denied. He had declined insurance and wasn't asking for any reimbursement but asked HAL if they could give him a future cruise credit or award him the cruise days to his Mariner account. Again, both requests were denied and that was the last time my friend booked a HAL cruise. I guess HAL believes it makes better business sense to blindly adhere to a contract stipulation than retain highly profitable customers.

As an aside, we met the guests who occupied my friend's adjoining cabin and I explained to them how the cabin became available. They said they were booked in a veranda originally but HAL offered them an "upsell" to upgrade to the suite. So HAL made a double profit on this cabin which, in my mind, borders on breaching the legal principal of "unjust enrichment". To put salt on the wounds and I never told my friend this, the TA sent bon voyage gifts to our cabins in the form of wine and chocolate covered strawberries which the new cabin occupants never offered to return to my friend via us.

Very sorry for your loss.

My friend who was to travel with us had a cancer diagnosis, unexpectedly. She got all her money back on her HAL cruise not because of HAL, but because of an unknown benefit she had on her credit card. Check the credit card that you used and see if there is travel insurance as a benefit of using the card. She called her credit card company and explained the situation and found out she was covered. She's the second person I know that unexpectedly had to cancel, didn't have insurance, and had this benefit on her credit card. Just a thought.

We had this occur to us earlier this year and received $6,000 back from our credit card company. Still had a lose but not nearly as bad as it would have been.

To the OP, you have my sympathies. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time four days before we were to leave on four months worth of P’dam cruises. Good news is her prognosis is very good, bad news is we did lose about 15% of our deposits and payments. I did not even reach out to HAL because we/I choose to self insure. I hope you find some peace during this awful time for you.

We had this occur to us earlier this year and received $6,000 back from our credit card company. Still had a lose but not nearly as bad as it would have been.

To the OP, you have my sympathies. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time four days before we were to leave on four months worth of P’dam cruises. Good news is her prognosis is very good, bad news is we did lose about 15% of our deposits and payments. I did not even reach out to HAL because we/I choose to self insure. I hope you find some peace during this awful time for you.

Thank you to all who shared stories of experiences they suffered days before their scheduled cruise. I learned a lesson :). I will not intentionally make a doctor's appointment days prior to any travel I may book Yes, I fully well know no one gets to schedule when to have their heart attack but why go for a voluntary non-emergent medical appointment so close to ttravel? From here forward,, I'll think of it as 'looking for trouble. :eek: Of course if one plans to be away for months, they probably should make that appointment.

In the case of travel insurance, I agree, it is a choice as is the type of policy one would select that presumably meets their needs best, , however In the case of autos. No choice, in most states , insurance is mandatory. in most cases, if one has a mortgage insurance on the real estate is a must on their home, (real property ) insurance is mandatory as a term of the mortgage......

You are absolutely correct, and I should have qualified that insurance is a must in certain other areas, mortgage insurance and car insurance being two.

Lots of interesting and helpful posts on this topic. However the OP has yet to acknowledge any of them and it would be nice if he did. If you take the time to post your disappointment in HAL, you should take the time to follow up on the topic. Perhaps the OP being new to C.C. he does not realize this.

Or....perhaps the whole thing is just a wind-up.