Deluxe drink package

yulcruiser

After many cruises, last year I finally bought the deluxe drink package and thoroughly enjoyed not having to worry about the “final bill”. My husband bought the refreshment package (he doesn’t drink) and he too enjoyed it.

This year I am traveling with my mother who is Diamond Plus and benefits from the Diamond Lounge. She does not drink due to a medical issue.

I have been looking forward to repeating the pleasure of paying for my package up front and just relaxing and enjoying my cruise with a morning espresso, fresh juice, a drink or two by the pool, pre-diner drinks, wine with dinner... well you get it!

I was shocked today when I was told that as my mother is not interested in a drink package of any kind I could not benefit from a drink package. What can I say, they don’t want my money.

I understand that Royal probably deals with people “generously” sharing their drink package with those around them... and I believe they are probably the same people who get up at 5am and put a towel and a library book on a lounge chair and then go back to bed... but was this the only solution?

The few have ruined it for the many.

Or put another way- the honest pay the price for those who aren’t.

Royal Caribbean instead of addressing the issue with those who cause the problem- instead of the bartenders being more aware and barring customers who “share”- have adopted a draconian solution to solve the problem- or maybe just to make more money by forcing people who don’t want a package to buy one.

Unfortunately this customer is very disappointed. I used to love cruising because it was effortless, I’m starting to abandon that premise.

Disappointed.

YULCruiser

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by yulcruiser

People have had success calling in and just getting the Refreshment Package for the second guest. Online it enforces the "all adults in a room must purchase" though

My mom doesn’t want the refreshment package. She’s happy with what the ship offers and what she can get in the Diamond lounge.

After many cruises, last year I finally bought the deluxe drink package and thoroughly enjoyed not having to worry about the “final bill”. My husband bought the refreshment package (he doesn’t drink) and he too enjoyed it.

This year I am traveling with my mother who is Diamond Plus and benefits from the Diamond Lounge. She does not drink due to a medical issue.

I have been looking forward to repeating the pleasure of paying for my package up front and just relaxing and enjoying my cruise with a morning espresso, fresh juice, a drink or two by the pool, pre-diner drinks, wine with dinner... well you get it!

I was shocked today when I was told that as my mother is not interested in a drink package of any kind I could not benefit from a drink package. What can I say, they don’t want my money.

I understand that Royal probably deals with people “generously” sharing their drink package with those around them... and I believe they are probably the same people who get up at 5am and put a towel and a library book on a lounge chair and then go back to bed... but was this the only solution?

The few have ruined it for the many.

Royal Caribbean instead of addressing the issue with those who cause the problem- instead of the bartenders being more aware and barring customers who “share”- have adopted a draconian solution to solve the problem- or maybe just to make more money by forcing people who don’t want a package to buy one.

Unfortunately this customer is very disappointed. I used to love cruising because it was effortless, I’m starting to abandon that premise.

Disappointed.

YULCruiser

I thought I read somewhere that if there is a medical issue referenced with a doctors note you could buy on the ship for just you. Call and ask about that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you call, RCL will typically waive the "all adults in the same cabin must get the same package" rule if there is a medical reason, if someone is a recovering alcoholic, or contest that they do not drink alcohol/

If you call, RCL will typically waive the "all adults in the same cabin must get the same package" rule if there is a medical reason, if someone is a recovering alcoholic, or contest that they do not drink alcohol/

I was told the only exception they would make is if the other person takes the refreshment package. If they don’t take a package then it’s a hard “no”. Disappointing policy.

I thought I read somewhere that if there is a medical issue referenced with a doctors note you could buy on the ship for just you. Call and ask about that.

They are enforcing that if one buys the deluxe package, and the second guest opts that they are filing an exception, that the second guest must buy the refreshers package.

Celebrity Silhouette

Celebrity Summit

Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas

That's right...people like you lose because of those dishonest cruisers that shared their drink package. I've even seen some bragging about it on cruise critic. It's a shame and I doubt Royal would have instituted the new policy if the sharing was not getting out of hand.

Yulcruiser, I feel your pain. I called Friday because of the Black Fridaysale to book the beverage pkg for myself and was told that I needed to also buythe refreshment pkg for my husband, who doesn’t drink. The problem is, as with your mother,that he doesn’t drink sodas, “specialty coffees or teas”, or sparklingwater. He drinks, and is happy with, whatthe ship offers, regular coffee, ship water, ice tea and tomato juice (doesn’tdrink OJ so no use for the freshly squeezed juice included in the pkg). He usually has one tonic and lime (obviouslyno alcohol) at the Diamond lounge in the evening. That’s it. I went ahead and booked both pkgs because I know I can cancel them andwill crunch the #’s to see if it is worth both pkgs (on sale) just for me tohave the deluxe beverage pkg. My cruiseisn’t until September, so I have time to figure it out, but I totally agreethat it really isn’t fair to those that are honest and don’t share packages.

That's right...people like you lose because of those dishonest cruisers that shared their drink package. I've even seen some bragging about it on cruise critic. It's a shame and I doubt Royal would have instituted the new policy if the sharing was not getting out of hand.

Actually, about 6 years or so ago when RCI introduced the alcohol packages, it was originally required that all adults purchase. I was on Allure in 2013 and my friend was forced to buy one so I could be a lush (what a great friend, right?) Sure we weren't thrilled with the policy but it completely made sense to us. RCI has to protect themselves, because people can and will take advantage. It's unfortunate, but this is the world we live in. If people don't like the policy, choose another cruise line. The most powerful form of protest is with our wallets.

I find it rather weird that on celebrity it's ok for 1 person in the cabin to buy the package when they are the same company. They really need to apply it across all their brands

Maybe fewer people share their package on Celebrity?

The few have ruined it for the many

As often as the question comes up on the boards, I don't think it's a few people ruining it.

I wish they'd offer a variety of 10-punch, 10-coffees, 20-sodas, 30-beers, 20 wines, etc. cards instead of the all-you-can-drink option. With this type of punch-card, sharing becomes a non-issue because you've purchased a specific number of drinks. It seems like a win-win for everyone.

As often as the question comes up on the boards, I don't think it's a few people ruining it.

I wish they'd offer a variety of 10-punch, 10-coffees, 20-sodas, 30-beers, 20 wines, etc. cards instead of the all-you-can-drink option. With this type of punch-card, sharing becomes a non-issue because you've purchased a specific number of drinks. It seems like a win-win for everyone.

I completely agree with your idea of using punch cards. A couple days into the cruise, typically after 3 or 4 days (on 7+ night sailings), the cruise line does sell punch cards, however they are not specific to the type of drink. I too wish that they would offer punch cards, but they want people to have to pay for the days in port, as those are the days that less beverages are consumed.

Celebrity Silhouette

Celebrity Summit

Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas

I was sorry to see the policy change too. However I am not surprised. But don't be angry at Royal Caribbean for this policy change, most (if not all) cruiselines are the same. In fact, Carnival and HAL not only require all cabinmates over 21 to have the package, but you are also limited to 15 beverages per day, regardless of whether they're alcoholic drinks, coffee, water, or juice. 15 total.

But "sharing" has been a hot topic for years on CC. Those who see sharing as their "right," always asked why I care what they do? Well, I always responded with "the policy will change to everyone in the cabin having to buy the package, so it directly affects me." Many of us pointed that out. So... now it's done. Be angry at people who are so selfish and self centered that they flagrantly disregard the rules and then are so arrogant they brag about it. Now we all suffer the consequences.

I find it rather weird that on celebrity it's ok for 1 person in the cabin to buy the package when they are the same company. They really need to apply it across all their brands

Why should both have the same policy, they are separate companies owned by the same corporation?. They target different markets and set their policies & procedures based on their market.

If I’m not mistaken Royal charges a $15 corkage fee if you bring a bottle of wine to the MDR/restaurant. On Celebrity the corkage fee is $25 different company different policy.

I was sorry to see the policy change too. However I am not surprised. But don't be angry at Royal Caribbean for this policy change, most (if not all) cruiselines are the same. In fact, Carnival and HAL not only require all cabinmates over 21 to have the package, but you are also limited to 15 beverages per day, regardless of whether they're alcoholic drinks, coffee, water, or juice. 15 total.

But "sharing" has been a hot topic for years on CC. Those who see sharing as their "right," always asked why I care what they do? Well, I always responded with "the policy will change to everyone in the cabin having to buy the package, so it directly affects me." Many of us pointed that out. So... now it's done. Be angry at people who are so selfish and self centered that they flagrantly disregard the rules and then are so arrogant they brag about it. Now we all suffer the consequences.

It's just like going to a restaurant that has a regular menu and a buffet. One person orders the buffet, another person in the party orders off the regular menu. Should the person that ordered the all you can eat buffet be able to share food with the table? Heck no, you touch the food, even a bite, then you need to pay for the buffet yourself. It's common sense. But unfortunately some people are cheap and feel like they are entitled and can cheat the system while the rest of us honest people pay inflated prices to compensate for their dishonesty.

We will be cruising this Sunday and DH and I had already purchased the drink package. We paid the regular price for it, no problem we are fine with that. But in April a group of ladies are cruising and my cabin mate may drink one or two alcoholic beverages in the evening. She is fine with whatever the ship offers the remainder of the day. Because she is not buying any package neither can I.

I'm not upset at Royal, they are only doing what the persons that abused this package caused. When the beverage packages first were introduced, everyone over 21 in the cabin had to purchase them. Then, Royal thinking they had very trust worthy passengers reduced it to who ever wanted to buy it. The passengers caused this to be changed back to the original way, not Royal.

Place the blame where it lies, on greedy cheap passengers. Yes, I am calling them names and as another poster said, those same people are probably the ones saving the pool chairs, saving a whole row of seats in the theater, etc.

There are amazing wonderful great people to meet on cruises and just like any where else, there are some that are only about themselves. Regardless, I will have a fantastic time on our April cruise and pay the bill at the end!!

This statement is incorrect - Carnival, HAL and Princess limit is 15 alcoholic drinks per day - coffee, soda and water have no limitsl

I was sorry to see the policy change too. However I am not surprised. But don't be angry at Royal Caribbean for this policy change, most (if not all) cruiselines are the same. In fact, Carnival and HAL not only require all cabinmates over 21 to have the package, but you are also limited to 15 beverages per day, regardless of whether they're alcoholic drinks, coffee, water, or juice. 15 total. Be angry at people who are so selfish and self centered that they flagrantly disregard the rules and then are so arrogant they brag about it. Now we all suffer the consequences.

I'm sorry, but you are totally wrong about the 15 total, at least for Carnival. You are limited to 15 ALCOHOLIC drinks a day, but soda, milk shakes, specialty coffee etc has no limit. Additionally, the 15 alcoholic drinks don't have a price limit as Royal Caribbean does with the $12 or $13 top being included. I am inclined to think that HAL is the same, but I haven't sailed on HAL in a long time as it wasn't a line that I enjoyed.