Can't add foster son to ship at capacity...

Tdawn11883

Our family booked Anthem of the Seas for a Dec. 2017 cruise LAST December of 2016. At the time it was myself, my husband and our son. This will be our 3rd cruise with Royal Caribbean, all three booked through [a travel agent]. In April our former foster son was placed back with us. It was "temporary" at the time. As we neared our November court date it was apparent that he would be placed with us permanently by the judge. I called RC to see if we could add him to our room. Yes, there was room for a 4th in our superior room with large balcony. I called RC immediately after we received documentation from the court that he would be with us until he is 18 (3 years), but now they are at capacity. There is no way that this young man, who is as much a part of our family as our bio son, is going to a respite home while we are on a cruise, during the holidays no less.

I called our travel agent and the lady didn't seem to give a hoot about our situation. She robotically stated that they were at capacity and there was nothing they could do. I couldn't even switch to another ship/sail date etc. I would lose everything we've paid for this current booking. I called RC and the lady was very nice but told me that the boat was at capacity and could not allow anymore 3/4 person rooms. The only way we could add him to our trip was if someone with a 3/4 person room cancelled. I could call back though and maybe something will open up...

We are 2 weeks away from travel and I have to make plans. We WILL NOT go on this trip without him. Even if we were to book a 2nd cruise during the holidays so he can come with us, what do we do with the already booked, and paid for, cruise?

Had anyone had any luck in a similar situation?

Oh my god, same thing happened to us last May. It was pretty stressful so I understand.

We had two plans -

1) Check daily to see if anything opens up.

2) I would give up my spot so my family could go and I planned to fly to Aruba last minute to spend the day with them as we were in port from 8am - 11pm. In our opinion, better than nothing.

2 days before the were scheduled to depart a single inside room opened up and I got it. Probably just before they closed the manifest or whatever it was they told us they send to the port. It was EXTREMELY stressful but ended up being an amazing vacation.

Good luck...

Edited by Host Clarea
Removed TA name

And what, pray tell, are they going to do with 2 minor boys while they, the parents/guardians are on a cruise?

They are saying that by cancelling the third person at least you get that portion back. Still lose the fare for the first two. Some money back is better than non. Not saying for the two to go on their own

I don’t understand some saying to look for another room to book. If the ship is at capacity, it doesn’t matter if they have a dozen rooms, they can’t sell them because they’re at maximum passenger capacity.

Is there a waiting/stand by List you can get on?

Surely someone will have to cancel last minute.

I don’t understand some saying to look for another room to book. If the ship is at capacity, it doesn’t matter if they have a dozen rooms, they can’t sell them because they’re at maximum passenger capacity.

Very often in order to fill all the cabins, when a ship nears capacity (if all cabins were booked at double, and the existing 3rd/4th guests would place the ship at capacity), they will stop allowing 3rd/4th guest bookings until all cabins have been booked at double. So, when they stop selling 3rd/4th bookings, there may still be cabins available.

Several years ago my father booked as a single in a balcony cabin. He, of course, paid for 2 people for his cabin. About 6 weeks or so before the cruise, he decided to have a friend go with him. He called Royal Caribbean and even though he paid for 2 and was in a cabin for 2, he was told he couldn't add his friend as the ship was at capacity.

He didn't understand and tried to explain that he paid for a cabin for 2 and was told there were many people who booked 3 or 4 in cabins and there was no way another person could be added to his cabin. I know he was disappointed and felt it wasn't fair to him, but he learned that if he even thought he would have a friend sail with him, to put the TBA on his reservation in the beginning.

The ship has more than one "capacity". The OP mentioned that the ship had reached capacity for the 3rd and 4th guest in a stateroom. This does not mean that the total capacity has been reached, only that no more passengers can be added to staterooms beyond the first two.

They are saying that by cancelling the third person at least you get that portion back. Still lose the fare for the first two. Some money back is better than non. Not saying for the two to go on their own

Originally posted by Biker19 Cancel the third person and have two of you go on the cruise - no sense in wasting it.

It CLEARLY states that the 3rd person be canceled and the TWO of them GO ON the cruise and DON'T waste it. THIS is what I was responding to. Just FYI.

Oh sorry. I thought it was in response to a previous post about cancelling the third. In that case I agree. No parents should just up and leave particularly if you are just getting custody.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The way I took the original intent of the suggestion was that they cancel the third and one parent and one child go on the cruise while the other parent and child stay home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seriously? They weren't assigning "fault" or barring someone from a lifeboat, just looking for suggestions. Get real.

OP - I like the thought of booking an inside in an adults name if possible.

My apologies if I upset anyone, especially the OP. I read it as a complaint when it obviously wasn't. I will take more time in future to read what is posted.

The ship has more than one "capacity". The OP mentioned that the ship had reached capacity for the 3rd and 4th guest in a stateroom. This does not mean that the total capacity has been reached, only that no more passengers can be added to staterooms beyond the first two.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

I am assuming I read correctly that you have a room that has four beds?

Then there is a chance... if just one person of the 6000+ cancels. Somewhere there is a computer program watching for this to happen and a wait list looking to be filled. Odds are probably small that just one person is waiting for a spot. Most likely it would be two or more waiting for a whole room to become available. Somewhere there must be a person who can influence this wait list. Someone who "knows the system". Whether you trust your TA to get the word to this person is up to you. Otherwise it's time to make phone calls. What you really need to know is how many people are ahead of you waiting for a single cancellation?

Since you have cruised with RC before, I would assume you are Crown and Anchor members, and that's where I'd start is with CA. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Please let us know the end result. I really hope it works out for you. I work in law enforcement and know more than I care to about the "system." I also spent a few months working in DSS court. Either way, your foster son is a lucky young man.

There is one category with 2 cabins almost next to each other. One cabin in between. I'd try and book the 2 rooms with an adult in each and give up current cabin

Cat VB

9422 and 9426

Just found cat G has availability with 2 cabins together

8508 and 8510

Are you looking at the Dec.14/17 Anthem 8 night cruise which should be the correct cruise as OP indicated their cruise was on Anthem two weeks out?

I've checked that one several, at least 3, times today and as previously mentioned, it has always been showing Sold Out so the ship is at total capacity not just no more than two per cabin capacity.

Edited by robtulipe

I'm so sorry that this is how it has worked out.

We just got off Independence, and a couple we sat next to at Chef's Table didn't know until Wednesday that they were sailing on Saturday. The ship was sold out, and they had to wait for someone to cancel. They called for three days every hour to check for a cancellation. It would be work, but calling 20 times would be worth getting it taken care of.

Best of luck.

One thing you could try - Ask on the roll call if there are any single cruisers. Maybe they would be willing to let you pay for the half they had to pay for any ways, add your foster sons name to their room and then when you get on the ship, you can all stay in your cabin.

Shot in the dark but you would be surprised how many kind and generous people are out there and willing to help.

I would certainly be willing to help you out (we are on the Anthem 14th of Dec) but both of our rooms are already to capacity.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

Another option is to book your Foster son on another Anthem Cruise a Father or Mother and Son cruise onboard for the same itinerary with specialty dining. Does your son have a passport? Then see if a Respite care provider can take your son on a vacation to a resort or on a last minute cruise in a good cabin.Don't let him feel left out

One thing you could try - Ask on the roll call if there are any single cruisers. Maybe they would be willing to let you pay for the half they had to pay for any ways, add that persons name to their room and then when you get on the ship, they all stay in your cabin.

Shot in the dark but you would be surprised how many kind and generous people are out there and willing to help.

I would certainly be willing to help you out (we are on the Anthem 14th of Dec) but both of our rooms are already to capacity.

-Sean

Thats a genious idea!

One thing you could try - Ask on the roll call if there are any single cruisers. Maybe they would be willing to let you pay for the half they had to pay for any ways, add your foster sons name to their room and then when you get on the ship, you can all stay in your cabin.

-Sean

They probably wouldn’t be able to book them with a stranger since it is a minor. And the lifeboat capacity situation would not be any different.