NY Pier suitcase weight limit

phillyguy31

you will be fine, they never enforce this rule

Don't forget that most airlines have an even higher weight limit for business or first class (approx. 70 lbs- though most of those travelers will seldom do much more than 50+). If an airline ticketing agent sees the scale top 50 lbs, s/he will usually put a "HEAVY" tag on it. I've seen plenty of "HEAVY" tags on bags at embarkation ports including NYC, LA, SF and Miami with no one turned away.

Still concerned? Carry a few $5 bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trying to reduce the actual baggage we are taking, how picky are they in NY about the 50LB limit on your suitcase. I have never seen a scale but I never looked since all our cruises were fly first and I knew I didn't exceed the limit.

Just tip the porter. They don't care (within reason).

As said, they do not weigh them at all.

Back when we took full suitcases, we still had to weigh them at home due to airline rules.

Now we travel with only carryon. Life has become so much easier. Yes, even two week cruisetrips with one carryon each. Okay, one rollon each, plus one smaller electronic bag - laptop or tablets and wires, etc.

a few dollars per bag

I wonder how much they take in?

You know they must be getting a reasonable hourly wage - longshoreman/union, etc.

The dropping off of bags takes but a few seconds until the load up a cart full and head out. 30 bags on the cart at a buck or two per bag. Do that a couple times an hour..

$$$$

As said, they do not weigh them at all.

Back when we took full suitcases, we still had to weigh them at home due to airline rules.

Now we travel with only carryon. Life has become so much easier. Yes, even two week cruisetrips with one carryon each. Okay, one rollon each, plus one smaller electronic bag - laptop or tablets and wires, etc.

50lbs? Our luggage limit at Gatwick or Heathrow is 23lbs now! Imagine. We have to pay for a 3rd suitcase at about £38 and pack as much stuff (shoes etc. and only max. 10 x 100ml toiletries in a zip-lock bag) into our on board bags! All 5 with wheels, we ended up with my other half trying to wheel 5 suitcases (2 large carry ons) quite a way from where the coach dumped us at port of Venice, and all through a very long queue until we got to the crew.

Then they still lost one (mine) until 7pm. Had to go and collect it from concierge, and search through about 30 cases. Apparently, the label had come adrift. It was a new, gold Samsonite. It looked like it had been rummaged through, I hope for clues! But cannot see how the label (plastic covered and tied tightly with string) had come off. Maybe they took a liking?

They’ll be no $5 dollar bills flying about from our end next time! 🤦🏼*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50lbs? Our luggage limit at Gatwick or Heathrow is 23lbs now! Imagine. We have to pay for a 3rd suitcase at about £38 and pack as much stuff (shoes etc. and only max. 10 x 100ml toiletries in a zip-lock bag) into our on board bags! All 5 with wheels, we ended up with my other half trying to wheel 5 suitcases (2 large carry ons) quite a way from where the coach dumped us at port of Venice, and all through a very long queue until we got to the crew.

Then they still lost one (mine) until 7pm. Had to go and collect it from concierge, and search through about 30 cases. Apparently, the label had come adrift. It was a new, gold Samsonite. It looked like it had been rummaged through, I hope for clues! But cannot see how the label (plastic covered and tied tightly with string) had come off. Maybe they took a liking?

They’ll be no $5 dollar bills flying about from our end next time! 🤦🏼*♀️

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you mean 23kg, which would be the same as 50 lbs. that would be the weight limit for checked baggage- not carry-on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you mean 23kg, which would be the same as 50 lbs. that would be the weight limit for checked baggage- not carry-on.

You’re absolutely correct. Senior moment! Phew! But we still have to pay extra for another case. I don’t know how some of you manage with all the shoes and toiletries, hair tongs/drier (sshhhhh!) and smart evening wear/dresses. I’ve no idea what the weather is going to be like in May on the Panama Canal, Mexico and LA, after all the hurricanes. Should I bring my wellies?

Now there’s something for you lot to google! (Only teasing you) x

You’re absolutely correct. Senior moment! Phew! But we still have to pay extra for another case. I don’t know how some of you manage with all the shoes and toiletries, hair tongs/drier (sshhhhh!) and smart evening wear/dresses. I’ve no idea what the weather is going to be like in May on the Panama Canal, Mexico and LA, after all the hurricanes. Should I bring my wellies?

Now there’s something for you lot to google! (Only teasing you) x

If you fly a lot on Star Alliance partner airlines, consider focusing on United's mileage plus program and get a United explorer Visa card: points, free luggage check, club passes, travel insurance. Of course, there are limits to the perks but it is well worth the $90/year fee. Note that there are other good cards to including the Chase "something" reserve (can't remember the name). It costs $450/yr but gets most if it back as rebate for travel expenditures.