Jump RCI ship for Norwegian?

The different takes here on cruising NCL are certainly interesting! OP, if you enjoyed your Royal cruises and your Carnival cruises, there is no reason you won’t enjoy a Norwegian cruise. I was skeptical initially as well, but fell in love with not being tied to a dining time, the thermal suites (aka spa), the Haven, the entertainment, and the crew. Honestly, the major cruise lines are more similar than different these days. Lord knows if my first cruise on Royal Caribbean was my first ever cruise, I’d never have cruised again. It was that bad. But here I am, sailing again next week because I know that one bad sailing doesn’t a cruise line make. :)

I would totally agree with you if I were booking the Haven on BA class but never had a Suite with any cruise line. Then it's a very different experience and my long winded comparison would be moot. Lol.

Btw, I haven't been on a cruise I haven't loved (25+). But NCLs BA class is at the bottom of the list for what we love to experience on a cruise. NCLs Gem, Pearl Jewel, Dawn, and POA are at the top if I were to rate them all, across all cruise lines (Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, Holland, RCI) ... for us.

So now that you're totally confused, what have you decided OP? Have fun whatever you decide! I'm sure you will.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

FYI Royal has a number of 7 night sailings out of New England to Bermuda, on Anthem, Serenade, and Grandeur.

Thank you. We did look at the few offerings of 7 nights to Bermuda with Royal, but they were not compatible with our schedule. Would have jumped on one of them though!

The majority of Grandeur and Anthem sailings are 5 night sailings. The only 7 night Anthem sailings are way "off season" (early April or November). Serenade is the only one w the 3 day stops in Bermuda on the 7 nighters but Escape offers significantly more features and amenities. Not sure if NY vs Boston makes any difference in the case since they only said New England.

I think the Waterfront concept is a winner on NCL and something majorly lacking from Oasis-class; the ships are not focused on dramatic views of the sea like older classes were.

I don't think you would make a wrong choice either way. See what the bottom line is.

Sorry to add to the confusion and sidetrack this thread, I was the one talking about Bermuda not the OP.

Maybe someone could address the likelihood of getting a table for 2 with my time or traditional on an Oasis-class ship, as the OP asked. This is one of the main reasons we love NCLs 'Freestyle' concept and took so long to try Royal.

I have cruised with NCL, RCI, Carnival, Disney, Princess and Celebrity. I can easily compare RCI and NCL as they were my last two cruises (Oasis and Escape).

Quick take: We found the food in the main dining room on Oasis to be better to that of the Escape but the buffet and specialty restaurants were significantly superior on Escape to Oasis. Entertainment was also significantly better on NCL, as others have mentioned.

I find those two lines are so similar that I don't prefer one over the other. In fact, I am sitting on two NCL CruiseNext vouchers I bought on the Escape and have gone ahead and booked two cruises - one with RCI and the other with Carnival! RCI's itinerary and price point for the British Isles cruise was so much better that I couldn't consider NCL and for the Carnival cruise, the decision was itinerary based (NCL should really cruise the ABC's more regularly).

If price and itinerary aren't factors, then your motivating factors should be line/ship based experience, food and entertainment.

I wouldn't hesitate to book another NCL cruise. Their beverage package is usually included with booking (has been on promo for several years) and it's really nice not to have to worry about how much the cocktail or pop is costing you. The staterooms are tight but well appointed and very comfortable. The food in their specialty restaurants is excellent and IMO no other cruise line can touch their buffets. There are many excellent entertainment options with them as well.

That being said, you seem reluctant to book NCL so you should stick with your gut instinct and go RCI.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your kid-free cruise! It's a great way to spend some quality time with your husband!

We have sailed on both and I agree with this 100%.

We have sailed twice on NCL and those trips were to Alaska. We chose NCL for those trips as we wanted to do Glacier Bay. To me, there is no comparison between NCL and Royal Caribbean.

We had junior suites both times and the cabins were the size of a regular balcony cabin on Royal. The first night at dinner, the waitress told us that there are a lot of specialty restaurants and basically made our meal so unpleasant that we ended up going to specialty restaurants most of the week.

I thought the food was really cheap quality with hamburger meat served in some way for lunch and dinner. I did like the one free restaurant, I think it was O Shea(?) or something like that. The food was good for breakfast although the service was very, very slow.

I thought the entertainment was decent and the Meet N Mingles that we attended had officers of the ship talk with us and we were even given the business card of one of them.

I don't have any plans to go on NCL again, as I don't feel they are as good a fit for us as Royal Caribbean. We have sailed on Allure twice in the last year and are going again in January. There is so much to do on the ship and I have felt the entertainment was really great.

We love the specialty restaurants and on our 2nd NCL cruise we ate in one every night. When we sail on Allure, we purchase a 5 night package because we love the ambiance and quiet of those restaurants as opposed to the din in the MDR.

I realize that everyone has different likes and dislikes and fortunately there are enough cruises for all of us to find the right ones. I would sail on Allure any day before I would sail again on NCL.

We have been on the RC Allure and Freedom and most recently NW Escape. Both ships were great. Allure, we stayed in a Royal Family Suite so we had the suite perks. On the Escape we stayed in a 2 bedroom in the Haven Area. There are things we loved about both but for the most part we are loyal to Royal. We only ended up on NCL after our Adventure cruise on Royal out of San Juan was cancelled due to the hurricane. If you do decide on NCL, I highly recommend the Haven area.....butler, private pool area, private restaurant, keycard only access to the area.....and much more. We are planning another cruise with them summer 2019 on the Bliss to Alaska.

We have sailed on Allure & Oasis a few years ago with our 3 teenager in balcony cabins. Last Dec we cruised on Celebrity Eclipse with me and hubby. We just got back from Escape in the Haven with hubby and me. It was wonderful and I hope to take my adult kids and their spouses some day. We have a family cruise in Jan on the Freedom for me, hubby, 3 adult kids and their spouses. How is the evening entertainment on the Freedom? We picked it because it was 8 nights and went to some ports we haven't visited. Now I'm wondering if I should of booked on the Oasis class.

We have sailed on Allure & Oasis a few years ago with our 3 teenager in balcony cabins. Last Dec we cruised on Celebrity Eclipse with me and hubby. We just got back from Escape in the Haven with hubby and me. It was wonderful and I hope to take my adult kids and their spouses some day. We have a family cruise in Jan on the Freedom for me, hubby, 3 adult kids and their spouses. How is the evening entertainment on the Freedom? We picked it because it was 8 nights and went to some ports we haven't visited. Now I'm wondering if I should of booked on the Oasis class.

This is from a year ago, but will give you an idea of the entertainment:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2425744

This is from a year ago, but will give you an idea of the entertainment:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2425744

Thank you Bob! Do you have any favorite ships on RCI? We've been on Oasis & Allure and in January Freedom. I'm a bit disappointed because we are on the April 13th sailing on Navigator and I think I will need to cancel it. My hubby said I am booking too many cruise in short amount of time. But I got a great deal at 2200 total for a balcony cabin (7620 - on hump) and 9 night visiting the ABC islands with 150 OBC. I think I will keep working on him.

I have sailed more RCCL, a few Carnival and NCL Breakaway. I can honestly say in my opinion, they are more similar than different and we enjoyed them all. I realize people who have sailed only one line tend to be more loyal and defensive of that one line, and that is fine. But for me, except for entertainment differences and some amenities, like ice skating rink and aqua theater on RCCL, food was similar in my opinion, rooms similar, etc.

We had no problems with the freestyle dining, rarely waited more than a couple of minutes and they sat 4 of us together as requested, you could also ask for a table for 2. If you're trying to get to the next "level" with RCCL, then I'd go with their ship. We cannot cruise enough to get to a level that makes a difference in perks for me, so we go on the ship with the best price for the itinerary we want.

If you read reviews for ships on all the lines, you will find similar pros and cons. There are people who hate the food on all 3 lines, some who say service is awful on all 3 lines, etc. Then you have the opposite reviews!

debbie

My wife, boys and I have been on about 10 cruise as well with the majority on carnival and Royal. We went on one Norwegian Cruise about 8 years ago (Norwegian pearl). Not sure if it was a one off but it was bad enough that we have not and will not sail Norwegian again. We were on Allure for thanksgiving 2015 and it was probably one of our favorite ships. Just my 2 cents on that subject! Hope you enjoy whichever ship you choose, happy sailing!

Could you further describe what was so bad? Thanks!

We tried NCL and liked it for the "freestyle" aspect. I'd spend my time in the specialty restaurants as the MDR sucks (IMHO).

If you go to NCL try the bidding for the Haven Suites.

I haven't looked into the Haven Suites area because I thought they'd be way out of my budget. What do you mean when you say bidding? Thx

We have been on both the allure, Oasis (soon to be twice) and Norwegian Breakaway (getaway's sister, twice).

For us, the we appreciate the Breakaway because it's home port is nearby and enjoy the buffet that is open late. However, nothing compares to the Oasis/allure in terms of things to do on board and the many different areas on the ships. The rooms are bigger and I feel the dining options are better.

Norwegian ships (we've also been on the gem) aren't nearly as clean as Royal.

Royal Oasis class ships are big upsell ships also. Everything is an upsell!

I've heard from a number of people about the upset problem on Allure. Since it's just my husband & I (no kids) I don't think we'll have any problem avoiding this problem. It seems like everyone is saying to get good food on Norwegian you have to go to speciality dining areas. The current promotion only has 2 or 3 specialty dining dinners included so it would cost more to go there the other nights as well. I haven't had a problem in the past w/RCI's main dining room...fingers crossed.

With costs being similar, I wouldn’t hesitate to sail on Getaway. Especially since I’ve sailed on it once and loved it. ;) With the inclusive alcohol package and spa, you can’t go wrong. I booked my first spa pass on Epic earlier this year, and wondered why I had never booked it before. I spent hours in the (kid-free) spa and it made my sailing on the Epic (which I’d heard horrible things about) one of my favorite sailings ever.

NCL has the best entertainment I’ve ever seen at sea, and that includes the main theater productions and evening bands and singers. Getaway was the first ‘megaship’ I’ve sailed on, and she was delightful. If you do the specialty dining, you can’t go wrong with Teppanyaki and Le Bistro. The MDR dining on NCL has improved exponentially the last few years as well. Either way, I don’t think you can go wrong with either ship. Good luck deciding! :)

The spa sure does sound temping! Good to know the entertainment on NCL is great. I've really enjoyed the RCI entertainment in the past.

I have sailed more RCCL, a few Carnival and NCL Breakaway. I can honestly say in my opinion, they are more similar than different and we enjoyed them all. I realize people who have sailed only one line tend to be more loyal and defensive of that one line, and that is fine. But for me, except for entertainment differences and some amenities, like ice skating rink and aqua theater on RCCL, food was similar in my opinion, rooms similar, etc.

We had no problems with the freestyle dining, rarely waited more than a couple of minutes and they sat 4 of us together as requested, you could also ask for a table for 2. If you're trying to get to the next "level" with RCCL, then I'd go with their ship. We cannot cruise enough to get to a level that makes a difference in perks for me, so we go on the ship with the best price for the itinerary we want.

If you read reviews for ships on all the lines, you will find similar pros and cons. There are people who hate the food on all 3 lines, some who say service is awful on all 3 lines, etc. Then you have the opposite reviews!

debbie

Yes, the opposite reviews is what' making this so difficult! I'm pretty sure we'll love whatever cruise line we choose as I believe in the end, a vacation is what you make out of it! Thanks for you advise!

I would totally agree with you if I were booking the Haven on BA class but never had a Suite with any cruise line. Then it's a very different experience and my long winded comparison would be moot. Lol.

Btw, I haven't been on a cruise I haven't loved (25+). But NCLs BA class is at the bottom of the list for what we love to experience on a cruise. NCLs Gem, Pearl Jewel, Dawn, and POA are at the top if I were to rate them all, across all cruise lines (Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, Holland, RCI) ... for us.

So now that you're totally confused, what have you decided OP? Have fun whatever you decide! I'm sure you will.

Yes, totally confused now, but more educated too! I find it interesting that the BA class is at the bottom of your list, but other NCL ships are at the top. What did you not like about the BA class compared to the others?

As I posted previously our recent cruise on the Epic was not a pleasant experience. I do believe it is the design of the ship as no matter morning, noon or evening it was always crowded and children of all ages were literally running all of the time and it was very dangerous for senior citizens to attempt to walk.

Restaurant reservations whether Specialty or Main dining rooms were impossible and I felt I fought my way through the entire week. Maybe other NCL ships are different.

We have never had a bad cruise with Celebrity or Royal and our next two cruises we will be sailing with Royal.

I do agree the NCL entertainment is far superior to either Celebirty or Royal.

I personally would go with Allure, but since it is your money, you will make the final decision on what you think is best for you. Whichever, enjoy your cruise.

Could you further describe what was so bad? Thanks!

In brief,

Entertainment was pretty much non existent, we couldn’t find any thing going n in the evenings. Service was absolulutely deplorable from stateroom attendant to dining service, and stateroom was very cramped. Without going into detail those are the primary reasons we won’t consider NCL in the future.

In brief,

Entertainment was pretty much non existent, we couldn’t find any thing going n in the evenings. Service was absolulutely deplorable from stateroom attendant to dining service, and stateroom was very cramped. Without going into detail those are the primary reasons we won’t consider NCL in the future.

That was 8 years ago which is an eternity In the cruise world.

If I remember correctly (hopefully) back then NCL was pretty cash strapped. They got an infusion of cash of 3 billion dollars in 2014 a year after the company went public.

NCL is much better today than it was 8 years ago.

Bill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

NCLs BA class, have less public space per passenger ratio which translates into lines, crowds, and disorganization.

There's nothing more frustrating on a cruise to go to the pool and not find a chair, go to the buffet and not find a place to sit at breakfast or lunch, wait 45 min to get a table at a 'free' restaurant but be told you can get seated at a 'pay' restaurant, go to the 24 hr O'sheas (?) and wait at least 30 min, atrium so crowded during shows you can't get a seat, bars so crowded 4 people cannot get seats for before or after dinner drink...

All problems we encountered on BA but not on the Jewel class ships. And certainly not on the last 6 RCI ships, including Anthem twice, and one was Thanksgiving week 2016 (full capacity not just sold out).

We have friends (2 couples) who are loyal and avid NCL cruisers -2 to 3 per year, who refuse to go on BA class ships again.

But some complaints I heard from them, on very recent but separate Jewel class cruises: there were lines at O'Sheeans (?) with 30 min waits, were disappointed with cleanliness, harder to get drinks because of lack of service which they think is a result of 'free' drinks, overall decline in quality of meals in both free/pay restaurants, the need to micromanage the 5 'included free' specialty restaurant reservations before/during the cruise, tendering disorganization -even with high loyalty benefits.....plus more ...such that we now may not consider NCL again after next year's cruise. We'll see what our friends say when they compare their most recent Jewel class cruise with our Escape cruise, together, June 2018, out of NY.

Both couples are considering more land vacations such as all-inclusives instead of cruising, which 1 couple loves. But I will not fly except for when it's absolutely necessary, hence most of my cruises are within driving distance (NY, NJ, Baltimore) or when we were in Florida visiting family, anyway.

More Royal cruises in the future for hubby and I ...And 'more bang for the buck' when you add it all up, too!

Edited by DaisyL

We originally started cruising with NCL only as we had the credit card and was earning a free cruise every year. Loved every cruise but I will have to say the Getaway was my least favorite ship ever (of any line). I really disliked the pool area. The Escape was an improvement however. We have also been on the Oasis, Allure, and a few of the smaller ships. Loved the Oasis class when traveling with the kids and grandkids. We then branched out into Celebrity as I found some great deals. I was expecting the ship of the dead but was pleasantly surprised! We had a great time this past September on the Equinox.

NCLs BA class, have less public space per passenger ratio which translates into lines, crowds, and disorganization.

You can say that again. Escape was easily the most crowded ship on which I have ever sailed. "Chaos" is the word I would use to describe the public spaces.

We are in the same boat. I used to cruise allot of different lines but over the last 5 or 6 years it has been RC. We thought about Norwegian for our next cruise. Not because we do not like RC, they have been real good to us. That is why we have done so many lately on them. But all ships pretty much are the same. Food is the same from ship to ship, specialty dining is the same, Food in the main dining room is the same, shows are pretty much the same with a few exceptions, bars are the same etc.. it is nice because it is so familiar but occasionally you want something different.

We have not had a bad experience really that has anything to do with the cruise line itself other than a few minor things like not having a surprise for Sandy in the room when we got on the ship.. Their is nothing wrong with doing a cruise on another cruise line. I would like to do Celebrity and maybe since the kids are not coming it would be better for you. I know they are also RC.

I do not think you can make a bad choice between the two ships. I go between RCI, Carnival, and NCL and each has its own pros and cons. I do believe if you have not sailed on an Oasis Class before then the Allure is a great choice.

If it were us, we’d check out the other ship and not be nervous about it.

It’s great to hear everyone’s opinions, but understand they are all based off their individual expectations and preferences.

Which ever you decide, it’s still a cruise. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's nothing more frustrating on a cruise to go to the pool and not find a chair, go to the buffet and not find a place to sit at breakfast or lunch, wait 45 min to get a table at a 'free' restaurant but be told you can get seated at a 'pay' restaurant, go to the 24 hr O'sheas (?) and wait at least 30 min, atrium so crowded during shows you can't get a seat, bars so crowded 4 people cannot get seats for before or after dinner drink...

All problems we encountered on BA but not on the Jewel class ships. And certainly not on the last 6 RCI ships, including Anthem twice, and one was Thanksgiving week 2016 (full capacity not just sold out).

We have friends (2 couples) who are loyal and avid NCL cruisers -2 to 3 per year, who refuse to go on BA class ships again.

But some complaints I heard from them, on very recent but separate Jewel class cruises: there were lines at O'Sheeans (?) with 30 min waits, were disappointed with cleanliness, harder to get drinks because of lack of service which they think is a result of 'free' drinks, overall decline in quality of meals in both free/pay restaurants, the need to micromanage the 5 'included free' specialty restaurant reservations before/during the cruise, tendering disorganization -even with high loyalty benefits.....plus more ...such that we now may not consider NCL again after next year's cruise. We'll see what our friends say when they compare their most recent Jewel class cruise with our Escape cruise, together, June 2018, out of NY.

Both couples are considering more land vacations such as all-inclusives instead of cruising, which 1 couple loves. But I will not fly except for when it's absolutely necessary, hence most of my cruises are within driving distance (NY, NJ, Baltimore) or when we were in Florida visiting family, anyway.

More Royal cruises in the future for hubby and I ...And 'more bang for the buck' when you add it all up, too!

Thanks for the details!