Gratuities increasing from Jan 2nd.

lovescarborough

Just had an email from Celebrity with 'updated ' gratuity rates effective on all sailings after Jan 2nd. All daily rates are increasing by $1 a day. This doesn't affect any prepaid gratuities and of course they say you can pay up now to avoid the increase.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about adding this to our paid reservation anyway. I've gone ahead and asked to have it done.

Just had an email from Celebrity with 'updated ' gratuity rates effective on all sailings after Jan 2nd. All daily rates are increasing by $1 a day. This doesn't affect any prepaid gratuities and of course they say you can pay up now to avoid the increase.

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't received that email yet. Is there a cut-off date for prepaying the gratuities - or any time before the cruise?

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't received that email yet. Is there a cut-off date for prepaying the gratuities - or any time before the cruise?

The email says you have to prepay before 2nd Jan or pay the new rates onboard. I assume future bookings with pre paid gratuities included will stay the same even though not fully paid yet. No change to the 18% gratuity on drinks etc.

The increase is per cabin or per pax?

The email says you have to prepay before 2nd Jan or pay the new rates onboard. I assume future bookings with pre paid gratuities included will stay the same even though not fully paid yet. No change to the 18% gratuity on drinks etc.

Thanks. We will pay before 2 January.

It would be nice if Celebrity would notify all future guests of this increase. I wish that Celebrity was like Azamara. Fare includes all tips. Just another way to make more money. Not that an extra dollar per day would change anybody's booking. It just seems a bit sneaky.

Perhaps if Celebrity would just pay a decent wage to their staff, there wouldn't be these constant per diem gratuity increases. Unfortunately, because of these increases, passengers take it out on the staff and decide not to leave additional gratuities for service "over and above". In the end it is the staff who gets hurt! I call it unintended consequences!

I'm just shaking my head as I think of people paying $1,500 to thousands more per person (depending on cabin selection) for a week of relaxation, but need to hurry up and pay their tips to keep $7 in there pockets and out of the pockets of those who will be serving them.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

I've also seen this posted on one of my roll calls. That poster - who resides in the UK - had received an email from Celebrity. So I would say it's interesting that only people in the UK have been notified. Often it's the other way round, so it's fortunate that we share information on these boards;) FWIW, I just checked the US Celebrity site FAQ and see neither changes nor notification of changes. I believe the last gratuity increase was 1 June 2016, and was roughly 55 US cents pp/per day.

I called Celebrity Captains Club this morning, and they are not aware of any price increase for gratuities starting Jan 2.

Interesting! I have copied part of the email I received yesterday(hope that I am not breaking any forum rules) I live in the UK:-

"As you get ready for your upcoming cruise, we wanted to let you know that we've updated our daily gratuity rates. The new rates will be applied to all sailings from 2 January 2018 onwards. Anyone booked prior to 2 January 2018, will have until the time of their sailing to pay their gratuities at the old rate.

If you've prepaid your gratuities, you will not be effected by this price change.

If you've not yet prepaid your gratuities, you can still pay the original rates by prepaying them before 2nd January 2018. If you pay your gratuities on board, you will pay the new rates. "

Interesting! I have copied part of the email I received yesterday(hope that I am not breaking any forum rules) I live in the UK:-

"As you get ready for your upcoming cruise, we wanted to let you know that we've updated our daily gratuity rates. The new rates will be applied to all sailings from 2 January 2018 onwards. Anyone booked prior to 2 January 2018, will have until the time of their sailing to pay their gratuities at the old rate.

If you've prepaid your gratuities, you will not be effected by this price change.

If you've not yet prepaid your gratuities, you can still pay the original rates by prepaying them before 2nd January 2018. If you pay your gratuities on board, you will pay the new rates. "

Not sure what is going on. Has anyone from the States or Canada received this same e-mail?

Not sure what is going on. Has anyone from the States or Canada received this same e-mail?

Ok, just called back the regular Celebrity number and they said it is going up $1.00pp per day on Jan. 2. If you have obc from Celebrity and you decide to prepay before Jan 2, you cannot use the obc for it. Only on the ship. It would be paid by a credit card.

I will just pay the new rate on the ship so I can use the obc for it.

I am also wondering if this increase is being passed on to the staff and not just used to swell company profits. It might only be $7 pp per week but based on full occupancy of say the Eclipse at 2850 pax for just one week that's a lot of extra $$. I can't believe Celebrity haven't notified all their booked customers & travel agents.

Finally found it on Cruising Power:

Celebrity Cruises will be will be adjusting the automatic daily gratuity for all new bookings made on or after January 2, 2018.

• Guests booked that have not prepaid their gratuities, have until March 1, 2018 to do so based on the current guideline.
  • All exchange rates will be updated at the time of the gratuity change January 2, 2018.
  • If not prepaid prior to sailing, the new gratuity rate will be automatically applied to the guests folio onboard.
  • The daily gratuity is shared among dining & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other housekeeping services personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.
  • An 18% gratuity will continue to be charged to all beverages, mini bar, and spa & salon purchases made onboard.

Stateroom CategoryPrevious Gratuity AmountNew Gratuity

Standard Room $13.50 $14.50

Concierge and Aqua Class $14.00 $15.00

Suite Class $17.00 $18.00

Finally found it on Cruising Power:

Celebrity Cruises will be will be adjusting the automatic daily gratuity for all new bookings made on or after January 2, 2018.

• Guests booked that have not prepaid their gratuities, have until March 1, 2018 to do so based on the current guideline.
  • All exchange rates will be updated at the time of the gratuity change January 2, 2018.
  • If not prepaid prior to sailing, the new gratuity rate will be automatically applied to the guests folio onboard.
  • The daily gratuity is shared among dining & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other housekeeping services personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.
  • An 18% gratuity will continue to be charged to all beverages, mini bar, and spa & salon purchases made onboard.

Stateroom CategoryPrevious Gratuity AmountNew Gratuity

Standard Room $13.50 $14.50

Concierge and Aqua Class $14.00 $15.00

Suite Class $17.00 $18.00

Hi oneputt,

Thanks for posting.

Good to read that this is only for NEW bookings made on or after January 2nd, 2018.

So this won’t affect existing bookings which I am sure many people were curious about.

According to the full text.

It does affect existing bookings for cruises that occur after Jan 2. If they choose not to prepay, they will be billed the new rate on board. They can prepay and keep the existing rate up to March 1, 2018.