what is your second favorite cruise line?

Peckishpixie

Just for the record, Sitmar is my favorite cruise line of all time, the TSS Fairwind being my favorite ship. So that makes Holland America my second favorite. Sitmar no longer sails, so of the current cruise lines, Cunard comes in right after Holland America, closely followed by Princess. HAL ships remind me a lot of the Fairsea/Fairwind/Fairsky.

1. HAL for friendliness and competence of staff and itineraries. Feels like going home when we sail.

2. Princess for some Caribbean itineraries and good to sail with our grown children

3. Cunard for excellent continental-style dining (both food and service) and for enrichment programs

Whatever you choose, have a fabulous time.

I've thought about this question for a couple of days in the context of the OP's question. I realize I don't really have a second favorite cruise line (and HAL is not my favorite).

I could also list Sitmar among my favorites, but it wouldn't be very useful to the OP, who is looking for a current solution, to categorize a line that has been defunct for almost 30 years.

My favorite line is Voyages to Antiquity, a boutique line with a single ship of 330 passengers. It specializes in itineraries to classic or historical sites along with excellent guest lecturers to enhance the itinerary. One reason I like it is for these itineraries and enrichment. But also, it reminds me of cruises of old on a line like Sitmar. (Minus the formality.) Or perhaps HAL, many years gone by. There are padded deck chairs, quiet spaces, a good library, and an attentive staff and crew that don't "pass the buck" when there are issues.

But regarding mass market lines, I really have to say that my second favorite would be chosen based on a good itinerary on a smaller ship (e.g., HAL Prinsendam, Princess' Pacific Princess, etc.). Large ships are very impersonal. People are rude, food is not great, and service is lacking. Somehow on a small ship people realize that they will see the same folks over and over and perhaps are more likely to behave reasonably because of it. And preparing food for 330 is much different to preparing food for 3300.

Celebrity Solstice Class Ships are amazing. Upper level demographic with well behaved children. Food is great, Buffet set up is the best we have experienced with several individual stations eliminating lines. Can not go wrong with Celebrity.

Celebrity Solstice Class Ships are amazing. Upper level demographic with well behaved children. Food is great, Buffet set up is the best we have experienced with several individual stations eliminating lines. Can not go wrong with Celebrity.

From the Celebrity website: Solstice

Ranked among the Top 20 large cruise ships - 2850 passengers

Ranked among Top 20 Large Cruise Ships in the Conde Nast Traveler 2014 Reader's Poll.

Celebrity Solstice® is one of our most decorated ships. So it's no wonder that it's full of "firsts." The first Lawn Club at sea. The first Hot Glass Show℠. The first cruise line to have five women, known as "the Leading Ladies℠," redesign its staterooms. Our passion for outstanding cuisine takes the onboard dining experience to a whole new level. But luxurious staterooms and specialty restaurants are only part of this ship's charm. Celebrity Solstice also features Canyon Ranch SpaClub® and fitness center. Pamper yourself with spa treatments or push yourself in a workout with one of our expert trainers. If only life on land were as good as life on board this exceptional vessel.

Don't Celebrity have loud music playing in public areas all the while?

Most of the music played in public areas are live music selections from very tasteful teams and nothing "in your face" loud. I actually wished Celebrity had more live performances. Atrium seems to be the most lively live music where the lounge adjacent to Murano and the other specialty dining on deck 5 is more classic. Martini bar (my favorite) is not obtrusive at all but makes for a fun atmosphere.

We love Holland, but can't find an itinerary we like on the dates we have available. We love Holland because it is mostly people over 40, quiet and there is no smoking on the verandas. We sailed Carnival and it was terrible. We liked princess okay, but spent a lot of time in our room because of the noise and crowds.

If you are a Holland lover, what other lines would you go on? Can you recommend something low key for a girl like me?

A lot of people are listing their favorites outside of the context of your question. Of all the lines I've sailed, HAL is certainly the most quiet and low-key. Like many in this thread, Celebrity is my favorite line but I'm not sure its best for you. Entertainment and activities are a step up from HAL and since you said Princess wasn't ideal, Celebrity will probably also disappoint you.

Like I said, HAL is the most quiet of the mass market lines. To keep that atmosphere, you'll have to pay more $$ and cruise a line like Oceania or Azamara. You might also consider Windstar or one of the luxury lines like Silverseas, Seabourne or Crystal. But again, you'll pay more $$.

Good luck with your decision. :)