Packing cube recommendations?

I would take the measurement of the cubes you are looking at and see how they will layout in your luggage, pick the ones that cover the most area. I am a cubeaholic and own many sets and sizes. Check out Eagle Creek or any other brands packing envelope. They are great too.

I ordered Bago Packing Cubes from Amazon 2 years ago and love them. They make packing so much easier and I just take them out when unpacking on the ship and put them on the shelves or in the drawers. Keeps everything neat. I also use them at home in dresser drawers.

I’ve done a lot of research on these and have bought multiple sizes of several brands.

I narrowed down my top choices to 3 brands; Eagle Creek, Ebags and Amazon Basics.

Eagle Creek is my favorite because they are the most sturdy and because the dimensions are a little bit more slim so they allow you to pack things a little more compactly than the other two. When they are stuffed full of clothes, they look less lumpy than the other 2 brands.

My favorite sizes are the small, medium, and slim (in all brands) because I can pack pretty much everything within those sizes. The largest size is way too big for anything other than jeans, sweats and bulky items like towels. That size is good for keeping things packed up in your suitcase, but is not compact and will take up a lot of space in your suitcase.

I also prefer the clean/dirty cubes, which they only sell in the small and medium sizes, but they allow you to separate your dirty clothes from clean ones, or, can allow you a slightly deeper cube to pack with, or to utilize both sides for less bulky items. Eagle Creek is the only brand of my 3 choices that has clean/dirty cubes. The downside to Eagle Creek is that of my 3 brand choices, it’s the most expensive, and has the least color options.

Ebags and Amazon basics cubes are the same dimensions as each other, and only slightly larger than Eagle Creek. They are made of a different material and are slightly flimsier than Eagle Creek, but so far I have not seen a difference in durability. Both these brands are cheaper than Eagle Creek. Ebags is more expensive that Amazon Basics, but Ebags has nicer zippers and a LOT more color choices.

I love packing cubes and use them all the time to keep my clothes organized and to make it easier to dig around in my suitcase. I have around 50 cubes of the above 3 brands and I love them all, but use the Eagle Creek the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ARandomTraveler

This made me realize I should clarify my above sizes. The link this poster gives shows the “full cube,” what I referred to above as “medium.”

What I referred to as “small” is called “half cube” for Eagle Creek.

When I said “large,” Eagle Creek calls it “double cube” (I believe).

And “slim,” in Eagle Creek speak is called “tube.”

Not to be contentious (I, too, have looked into the Cube way of life), but I can't quite understand the value of cubes! Because I am so obviously intrigued by them, can someone please sell me in favor or against??

I kind of understand using them in circumstances where you might not want to totally unpack (i.e., a trip where you might be changing hotels each night), and want to easily access one category of clothes or another. I'm not sure I get the point when you'll be packing at home, completely unpacking (such as on a ship), and then packing again to leave.

I definitely don't get the geometry of people who say using the cubes allows them to pack MORE! Physically, that simply can't be true.

Other than segregating clothing types, what is the benefit of using packing cubes for a cruise??

I like the very small versions for chargers and other little items but I think the large ones take more space than anything else. They almost always have them Ross, TJ Max, Marshall’s type places for way less. I think I paid $8 for a set of 3.

Not to be contentious (I, too, have looked into the Cube way of life), but I can't quite understand the value of cubes! Because I am so obviously intrigued by them, can someone please sell me in favor or against??

I kind of understand using them in circumstances where you might not want to totally unpack (i.e., a trip where you might be changing hotels each night), and want to easily access one category of clothes or another. I'm not sure I get the point when you'll be packing at home, completely unpacking (such as on a ship), and then packing again to leave.

I definitely don't get the geometry of people who say using the cubes allows them to pack MORE! Physically, that simply can't be true.

Other than segregating clothing types, what is the benefit of using packing cubes for a cruise??

I don’t think they allow me to pack more either, however, they do keep my suitcase a lot cleaner and a lot more organized.

If you don’t use cubes and you like to leave your suitcase packed, then every time you have to pull items out from the bottom, other items end up getting crumpled and unfolded, eventually making a mess of the suitcase. If you use cubes, that doesn’t happen because you just pull out a cube and get what you need, and nothing gets unfolded, and your suitcase doesn’t end up being a mess of dug-through clothes.

If you unpack and put your items in drawers, it takes about a minute to pull out the cubes and put them in drawers, you can even unzip them so things are easy to see and grab. When it’s time to go, you just zip them up and throw the cubes back in the suitcase, making it take about 1 minute to re-pack.

If you pack more than one family member’s clothes in the same suitcase (like when you cross-pack people’s items just in case one of the bags gets lost or delayed by the airline, or parents who pack their kids clothes with their own), it makes it super easy to separate the clothes; husband’s clothes are in the red cubes, son’s cubes are green, mom’s are purple.

It’s also easier to look into your own suitcase and know “My shirts are in the pink cube,” “pajamas are in the gray cube,” “swimsuits are in the blue cube” etc.

I have been at the airport more than once when I’ve had to open my suitcase and dig in it for something, and rather than dig through a stack of clothes, I just pull out a cube. This keeps from making a mess of your suitcase and makes things easier to find, and makes it so you’re not displaying all your items to everyone else.

They are truly an organized person’s favorite travel item, and while not a necessity, definitely makes things easier to find and less messy.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

I don’t think they allow me to pack more either, however, they do keep my suitcase a lot cleaner and a lot more organized.

If you don’t use cubes and you like to leave your suitcase packed, then every time you have to pull items out from the bottom, other items end up getting crumpled and unfolded, eventually making a mess of the suitcase. If you use cubes, that doesn’t happen because you just pull out a cube and get what you need, and nothing gets unfolded, and your suitcase doesn’t end up being a mess of dug-through clothes.

If you unpack and put your items in drawers, it takes about a minute to pull out the cubes and put them in drawers, you can even unzip them so things are easy to see and grab. When it’s time to go, you just zip them up and throw the cubes back in the suitcase, making it take about 1 minute to re-pack.

If you pack more than one family member’s clothes in the same suitcase (like when you cross-pack people’s items just in case one of the bags gets lost or delayed by the airline, or parents who pack their kids clothes with their own), it makes it super easy to separate the clothes; husband’s clothes are in the red cubes, son’s cubes are green, mom’s are purple.

It’s also easier to look into your own suitcase and know “My shirts are in the pink cube,” “pajamas are in the gray cube,” “swimsuits are in the blue cube” etc.

I have been at the airport more than once when I’ve had to open my suitcase and dig in it for something, and rather than dig through a stack of clothes, I just pull out a cube. This keeps from making a mess of your suitcase and makes things easier to find, and makes it so you’re not displaying all your items to everyone else.

They are truly an organized person’s favorite travel item, and while not a necessity, definitely makes things easier to find and less messy.

It sure feels like we can pack more. Maybe it's that everything is more tightly packed than normal. Beyond that I agree with everything you posted and that's reason enough for us to use them.

It sure feels like we can pack more. Maybe it's that everything is more tightly packed than normal. Beyond that I agree with everything you posted and that's reason enough for us to use them.

I think a lot of people really can pack more, but I haven’t mastered the art of rolling my clothes tightly enough [emoji4]

I think a lot of people really can pack more, but I haven’t mastered the art of rolling my clothes tightly enough [emoji4]

You nailed it with your many reasons for using cubes. I just used them for the first time, and absolutely love them. I really love being able to organize categories of clothing and have toiletries all together. It made unpacking very quick and easy.

Sandy

I used Ebags and Amazon basic for my last cruise and I am sold! I do agree the large size is the least beneficial. I used them all but the medium, small as well as a long narrow configuration worked best. I rolled my clothes using separate ones for shorts/tops, another for bathing suits/ cover ups another for pjs. I usually try to take soft material dresses for dinner because they don't wrinkle so they were rolled and fit nicely into a medium cube. The small ones are great for toiletries.

I confess - I am one of those people who start packing a month ahead of time - just to be sure I don't forget anything ( ps I usually still forget the toothpaste-lol). Seriously, I love to pack - it must be a mutant gene or something - but I feel like the vacation is closer to beginning. The Ebags allow me to see exactly what is packed and I have been known to change out a few outfits from time to time.

On our last cruise ( CCL Vista) there was closet space with shelves. The Ebags fit very neatly. I did not empty them at all - just stacked them on the shelves.

We use and love ebags. I just put all the clothes on the bed and my husband packs everything. (Lucky me). The five us all are assigned a color and then after the cubes are packed, he makes sure he puts some of each color in each suit case. I thought he was crazy when he bought them several years ago, but I get it now and appreciate how everything thing stays neatly folded and is easily put on drawers or on hangers in the staterooms and hotel rooms.