Cruise Director threads...why

cruiser123!

i know this is a stupid quiestion so please don’t flame me, but why the concern for who is the cruise director? Do they get to decide which games/activities/etc are onboard or ?? I have only been on three cruises (none RCCL) and the activities were all the same....newlywed game etc. what am I missing?

Some are, quite frankly, better than others. Yes, they do basically the same things but sometimes with totally different approaches. My favorite was on a 4 night Monarch sailing several years ago. DD and I found him to be energetic but not over the top crazy. I follow him on fb and it has been great to see Royal thinks highly of him, too, as he just took over on Harmony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some are, quite frankly, better than others. Yes, they do basically the same things but sometimes with totally different approaches. My favorite was on a 4 night Monarch sailing several years ago. DD and I found him to be energetic but not over the top crazy. I follow him on fb and it has been great to see Royal thinks highly of him, too, as he just took over on Harmony.

BingBong!

The Cruise Director can make a Cruise Awesome...Or just average. Their personality and leadership has a big influence on their staff and the quality of the shows. We had one on Oasis a few years ago who was awesome...Unfortunately I can’t remember his name right now. He was all over the ship and cutting up every time I saw him. During the 70 show on the Promenade deck...He was killing it on the electric guitar. Not an air guitar...He was awesome! Could of played with lots of major bands

I have noticed some are more entertaining than others and better at getting the crowd partying. Some are annoying in their attempts. But I think it would be difficult to book a cruise based on the cruise director (or the captain) because you don't know how much longer they will be on the ship. Six months from now when you set sail their contract has expired and they have been rotated to another ship.

Why? Fair question. I guess to some people, who the cruise director is matters in terms of their cruise enjoyment and the ships they prefer to sail on. They may cruise relative to activities and events on board that involve the cruise director and base their level of enjoyment with their cruise in part on that. They may feel that there are some cruise directors that are better than others and that matters to them when they cruise. We're not among them........

Don't get me wrong, we have met many cruise directors and have cruised with several multiple times. And if that is important to some, fine. But who the cruise director is on board any given cruise makes no difference to us. So I guess IMO, why indeed?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I’m relatively new to the cruise world but based on how I partake in cruise activities I cannot imagine it will ever matter to me. Having said that I can see how it could matter to some, on my most recent cruise the CD was intimately involved in many of the activities. So I understand the point even if it doesn’t matter as much to me.