Tips for packing light - What one thing should I leave at home?

trixiee

How about leaving behind after the cruise? I'm already thinking about what to bring on my 42 day cruise to Australia next year. Instead of giving older, but still nice clothes to Goodwill, I'm planning on bringing them and just throwing out once I get there. I have casual clothes, bathing suits, etc that are over 10 years old. Nothing wrong with them, just tired of them. I've done this before on land trips and it gives me a little more room for any souvenirs that I might buy - or even new clothes.

Don't pack too many shoes!

I wear during embarkation my walking shoes. I pack my black dress shoes and a pair of tan Rockports to wear on casual evenings aboard the ship. Slippers, of course, are packed, but they can be squashed and take little space. If one is going to use the Spa/Thermal Pool complex, a pair of flip-flops or the kind of fabric slippers HAL provides for Signature/Neptune Suite guests is fine. They take up little space as well.

As others have said, use the laundry option. It’s money well spent. I can pack for a 14 day cruise using only a carry on suitcase. I also collect small samples of moisturizer and such through the year so I can take small stuff instead of the full size version. I also have a drawer in my bedroom where I keep all my must pack items. This way they don’t get forgotten.

How about leaving behind after the cruise? I'm already thinking about what to bring on my 42 day cruise to Australia next year. Instead of giving older, but still nice clothes to Goodwill, I'm planning on bringing them and just throwing out once I get there. I have casual clothes, bathing suits, etc that are over 10 years old. Nothing wrong with them, just tired of them. I've done this before on land trips and it gives me a little more room for any souvenirs that I might buy - or even new clothes.

I've done this before and let the steward know I was leaving them, he was happy to take them

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't pack too many shoes!

I wear during embarkation my walking shoes. I pack my black dress shoes and a pair of tan Rockports to wear on casual evenings aboard the ship. Slippers, of course, are packed, but they can be squashed and take little space. If one is going to use the Spa/Thermal Pool complex, a pair of flip-flops or the kind of fabric slippers HAL provides for Signature/Neptune Suite guests is fine. They take up little space as well.

That's too many shoes. I'm taking a pair of running/walking shoes and a pair of Sperry deck shoes for evening wear.

We are careful too buy trave clothes. We wear our heaviest shoes/clothing in transit. Got our bands weighed last week. Mine came in At 8.2kg (17 lbs), DW's at 10.2 kg. Some rearrangement, and the let us board even though the limit was 7kg.

Shoes, beauty product, electronics are kept to a minimum. No just in case items. The laundry is our friend. Years of business travel helped.

We are careful too buy trave clothes. We wear our heaviest shoes/clothing in transit. Got our bands weighed last week. Mine came in At 8.2kg (17 lbs), DW's at 10.2 kg. Some rearrangement, and the let us board even though the limit was 7kg.

Shoes, beauty product, electronics are kept to a minimum. No just in case items. The laundry is our friend. Years of business travel helped. We stopped doing souvenirs, other than jewelry items after downsizing our home.

Oh I wish I was as good as you. My suitcase usually weighs in at around 47 pounds. Doesn't leave much room for items bought. I'll try to do better this August:D

You and me both Sue. And DH's weighs 47 pounds too...:o May the Luggage Gods give us the strength and guidance to just pare it down a little!:rolleyes:

I feel your pain!

That's too many shoes. I'm taking a pair of running/walking shoes and a pair of Sperry deck shoes for evening wear.

I'm still learning,

No slippers? You walk around your cabin/bathroom in your bare feet?

I broke a toe doing so in my home once. No more!

If we were only going fro home to airport to ship and back we would no doubt pack more. Why not if this is what makes you happy? And don't forget the duct tape, the shoe holders or the decorative seasonal items to place around the cabin!

This is not our situation. We certainly do not think that packing light is the be all and end all. It can be a real pain but in our case, at the present time, it is what we need to do. Good on others who can pack and handle more. Sometimes we envy them, other times we a glad that we travel the way we do.

Here's my 7-day caribbean cruise packing list...

Toiletries

Buy there (including sunscreen and make-up)

Other

Medication (purse)

Book (purse)

Pens/Notebook/Post-its

iPad/iPhone +Chargers (purse)

Clothes

Underwear (10-12)

Bra (2 - wear one on plane)

Socks (2 - wear one on plane)

Leggings (2 - wear one on plane)

Walking shoes (wear on plane)

5 Tops (one on plane)

1 Shorts

1 black pants

3 dresses

2 bathing suits

1 beach cover-up

1 nighttime cover-up

1 pajamas

1 dressy shoes/flats/sandals

1 flip flops

Done - all in carry on and purse

Here's my 7-day caribbean cruise packing list...

Toiletries

Buy there (including sunscreen and make-up)

Other

Medication (purse)

Book (purse)

Pens/Notebook/Post-its

iPad/iPhone +Chargers (purse)

Clothes

Underwear (10-12)

Bra (2 - wear one on plane)

Socks (2 - wear one on plane)

Leggings (2 - wear one on plane)

Walking shoes (wear on plane)

5 Tops (one on plane)

1 Shorts

1 black pants

3 dresses

2 bathing suits

1 beach cover-up

1 nighttime cover-up

1 pajamas

1 dressy shoes/flats/sandals

1 flip flops

Done - all in carry on and purse

Me thinks you are going to be doing nightly hand washing. It's a cruise - not a land vacation. Why limit yourself to a carry on?

Me thinks you are going to be doing nightly hand washing. It's a cruise - not a land vacation. Why limit yourself to a carry on?

I'm of the same mind. I love to have my things with me. That said I likely don't pack much more than that poster but my carry on would likely be overweight. My cruises are mostly longer than 7 days.

I'd rather pay $25 to check a bag than spend that on toiletries and sunblock that I already own, but to each her own.

We usually drive to the port, so I bust out my 29" suitcase for cruises. If we fly, I'll use the 26". I like options.

I'm leaving the DH home in May. ;)

I promised DH I wouldn't pack "everything but the kitchen sink" this time. We're doing a 7 day Caribbean. Looking for tips to pack light - what is the one thing I should leave at home?

..Go! :D

Extra shoes that match your outfits. You only need one pair of dress shoes, a pair of walking shoes, and a pair of sandals.

I'd rather pay $25 to check a bag than spend that on toiletries and sunblock that I already own, but to each her own.

The liquids rule is really why I like checking a bag. I don't like decanting my (great) sunscreen into TSA-sized bottles, but more importantly.... where are those wine bottles going to go?;)

Really, I think that this comes down to starting with a little common sense and a smaller bag.

Cannot image why I would need to see some else's packing list in order to know what to pack and what to leave at home.

Cannot image why I would need to see some else's packing list in order to know what to pack and what to leave at home.

Yeah, that is a little odd to me as well. I have a packing list I keep on an excel spreadsheet and I go from there. Things get added and taken off over time.

You both are experienced cruisers and of course have developed your packing strategies over time. Not everyone has as many trips under their belt as you! I am an experienced traveller, but I still find it fun to find out what other things people can't live without -- sometimes a good idea or two comes of it (or at least a chuckle). ;)

I guess we are different. We could be packed and out the door in 20 minutes. For a weekend or for three months.

But I really have zero interest or care what someone else decides to pack and lug about.