Tips for packing light - What one thing should I leave at home?

trixiee

Some folks have been known to bring a thermometer to measure the temperature of their eggs or hot chocolate :confused: I don't think I would bother ;) I would also leave my measuring tape at home; the actual size of the balcony in inches isn't that important to us!

Depending on the port you are embarking from of course, and, assuming you are embarking from Florida..

one thing you can do is not pack a bunch of toiletries. Pick them up in your port, throw them in your bag and don't bring them home. Saves room and weight for your baggage.

We all have a tendency to pack the "what if's". Best thing to do is to make a list or get out the stuff you plan to take and then take a hard look. Do you really need.....

I find it helps if you do that, but that being said, I do believe in taking certain OTC drugs, band aids etc. especially when I am travelling to areas where they may be hard to find or have a lot of sea days.

Different things work for different people. If you fail, I'd rather have 2 lighter bags than one super heavy bag. Easier to manage IMO. Good luck :)

I lay out all the outfits I think I'd wear. Then I eliminate a third to a half of them. I accomplish this by choosing my favourites and putting the rest of them away. With shoes I decide which ones go with the most outfits and put the rest away. I also eliminate clothes that weigh a lot. If I find I really need something while I'm traveling I will buy it. But first I ask myself if I really need it or do I just really want it. That usually helps me walk away. lol

Coordinate your clothing/shoes. I went to a packing seminar in which the presenter packed a carry on suitcase with enough clothing/shoes for 14 days. Basically, for every bottom (pants, skirts, etc), have 3 - 5 tops. Use packing folders and cubes. Scarves are lightweight and can be used to dress up a casual outfit or just change the look. Wear your heaviest shoes and clothing on your travel days. And, yes, don't take all the shoes. You really only need two to three pairs: walking, dress and sandals.

The one thing I will definitely leave out in the future is a suit, since a dress shirt and tie is fine for formal / gala nights. One dress shirt and 2 ties covers both gala nights on a 7 day cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What I don't bring:

pop-up clothes hamper

over-door toiletries bag

books (I have a Kindle instead)

hair dryer

duct tape

night light or "fake candles"

special cup for beverages

....and all the other "extra" stuff people frequently mention

What I limit:

Shoes (I bring 2 pairs of walking shoes because most of my cruises are in Europe; if in the Caribbean would only bring 1 pair of walking shoes, 1 pair of dressy shoes and one pair of casual sandals or flip flops)

Purses (1 everyday, 1 small dress)

Jewelry

Make-up/Personal care (I decant into travel sizes)

Also, I don't bring too many "what if" items. Almost anything can be purchased if really needed.

Also, if you are going to the Caribbean, you don't need a new bathing suit every day. I bring 2 or 3 for a 2 to 3 week stay. And shoes, one pair I'm wearing, one dressy, and one sandal. Kindle, one dress, some casual clothes and that's it. You can use the soap and shampoo provided on board. One place I don't skimp is for suntan lotion. Lots of it comes with me where ever I travel.

OMG 😆 LOL

At hotel doing a 30 day from our home town on The Maasdam tomorrow!!! We are 20 plus cruises under our belt and pack light but still ??? Need I say more?

One thing left at home 🙄 husbands fault our little bag with wine opener stoppers champagne stopper!! Never leave at home!!!! We brought some wine and he was upset it wasn’t packed thought he did. So was able to go to concierge and they opened it up👍

So for us we reverse it and say what not to forget!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Denise :)

OMG 😆 LOL

At hotel doing a 30 day from our home town on The Maasdam tomorrow!!! We are 20 plus cruises under our belt and pack light but still ??? Need I say more?

One thing left at home 🙄 husbands fault our little bag with wine opener stoppers champagne stopper!! Never leave at home!!!! We brought some wine and he was upset it wasn’t packed thought he did. So was able to go to concierge and they opened it up👍

Have a wonderful cruise.

Super post!

You're off on a great cruise - enjoy!

Buy the $20 bag of laundry and you won't need to pack undies for every day. And then you can bring fewer outfits because you can wear it, launder it and wear it again. No one knows OR CARES. Same with pajamas or nightgowns -- get the $20 bag of laundry and just bring a couple of pj's or gowns.

I will NOT cruise in the Caribbean without my RTIC cup. I refuse to drink watered down beverages. I fill it with things inside my suitcase, so it really takes up NO ROOM at all.

Shoes. I agree with other posters: One pair dressy for all evenings, one neutral pair of sandals and one pair of walking shoes (in port and exercising, if interested, on the ship).

Jewelry -- a pair of earrings and a necklace that goes with most outfits. You do not need to change your jewelry every day or every other day. Again, no one knows OR CARES.

I use a beach bag as my purse when I board -- I don't need a purse when I'm on the ship or in ports -- the beach bag does double duty. If I need a clutch or Gala Nights, I stick it in the beach bag for boarding.

Hope this helps!

OMG [emoji38] LOL

One thing left at home [emoji849] husbands fault our little bag with wine opener stoppers champagne stopper!! Never leave at home!!!! We brought some wine and he was upset it wasn’t packed thought he did. So was able to go to concierge and they opened it up[emoji106]

Have a wonderful cruise.

Oh no. My husband always makes sure he has a corkscrew but tend to not need stoppers as seldom have leftovers. See you on board in two weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OMG 😆 LOL

Have a wonderful cruise.

How exciting for you Denise! Have a wonderful cruise.