Specialty dining w kids

Hllb

we are booked on Bliss for 2019 with our 3 kids under the free at sea promo. We got the UBP and the specialty dining. We aren’t really interested in eating without the kids (at most only 1 of our 3 specialty meals would be alone and even that is iffy). I know I could buy a 3 meal specialty dining package for the kids but not sure that makes sense. Looks like it’s $69 for a 3 meal package online. I’m not sure that makes sense for the kids. Two are teens and would eat an adult meal, but wouldn’t order a steak. The menus I’ve looked at on other breakaway plus ships look like paying OOP would be less expensive for the kids, with the exception of the steak house, which we likely wouldn’t do anyway.

What’s included in specialty dining anyway? Appetizer, entree dessert? I’m assuming you can only order one of each unlike the MDR, correct? We’ve never been on a cruise before so not sure how this works.

I think they’ll also have us purchase a pop package for the kids since we’ll have UBP. I would’ve done that anyway but it’s a bummer that it is pop only and no bottled water or juice. I don’t let my kids get pop very often. And no milk at all?

Just do the math and see what is cheaper. You don’t have to purchase a soda package, there are beverages included, flavored water, lemonade, iced tea, non-bottled water, milk at least at breakfast. I do buy the package for my kids, we never have soda in the house at home (and not always juice, which is pretty much soda without carbonation).

You really have to figure out where you might go and what you'd eat. If say you'd do 3 Teppanyaki which has a fixed price of $29.95 plus fee the package would be better. If you go to Cagneys and eat a lot of the expensive stuff, then package otherwise have kids go ala carte.

It was mentioned last week that one idea is: have the kids eat off the kids menu and let them order one item from the standard menu. That will keep the price down while allowing them to taste a specialty food.

BTW, I don't know how old your kids are, but remember the experience in the specialty restaurants is highlighted by slow, formal dining. We usually figure 2 hours to complete dinner.

My kids will be 9, 14, and 15 so not too concerned about the atmosphere of the restaurants. I did debate about the specialty meals, but the other option was a $50 excursion credit per port and I’m not sure we’d book through the ship.

I thought I’d read that if adults have the UBP, kids were required to have the pop plan so you couldn’t share the UBC. Is that not correct?

My kids will be 9, 14, and 15 so not too concerned about the atmosphere of the restaurants. I did debate about the specialty meals, but the other option was a $50 excursion credit per port and I’m not sure we’d book through the ship.

I thought I’d read that if adults have the UBP, kids were required to have the pop plan so you couldn’t share the UBC. Is that not correct?

Not correct.

It was mentioned last week that one idea is: have the kids eat off the kids menu and let them order one item from the standard menu. That will keep the price down while allowing them to taste a specialty food.

BTW, I don't know how old your kids are, but remember the experience in the specialty restaurants is highlighted by slow, formal dining. We usually figure 2 hours to complete dinner.

OP says two are teens. From our experience teens have very little interest in eating off the kids menu.

I was told by our TA that we do not have to get our kids the soda package just because the hubs and I have the UBP. So you should be covered there with no additional drinks packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you PURCHASE the UBP then you have to get the soda package for kids, however if you get the UBP as a PROMO, then it is not required.

You realize I'm sure that if you take the $50 excursion credit per cabin that you will easily be spending $500 minimum per port on ncl excursions and will have to take an excursion at every port unless you choose not to. Which isn't a terrible idea either on say a 4 port stop even if you just take 2 ncl excursions it might be worth it...if you truly want the excursions of course

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was told by our TA that we do not have to get our kids the soda package just because the hubs and I have the UBP. So you should be covered there with no additional drinks packages.

Incorrect. They are not covered by the first two in cabin's UBP. If you choose to purchase the soda package, it has to be purchased for all others in the cabin. Otherwise the drinks are pay-as-you-go for them,.

OP,

Just off the Breakaway, wife and I had UDP, brought children with us to specialty dining. They ordered off the regular menu and we were just charged for what they ate. The sometimes we weren't.

What’s included in the specialty dining package? One app, entree, dessert?

We were able to order multiple apps and sides. Didn't need to order multiple entrees.

Incorrect. They are not covered by the first two in cabin's UBP. If you choose to purchase the soda package, it has to be purchased for all others in the cabin. Otherwise the drinks are pay-as-you-go for them,.

That's what I thought

I think they’ll also have us purchase a pop package for the kids since we’ll have UBP. I would’ve done that anyway but it’s a bummer that it is pop only and no bottled water or juice. I don’t let my kids get pop very often. And no milk at all?

Milk is available all day at the coffee stations. At breakfast in the Garden Cafe there are individual milk boxes, including chocolate milk. We usually take one each back to our room to drink later, which you could do for the kids. Otherwise, as previously mentioned, there is plain water, flavoured water and more all day from the drink stations. We never drink soda at home, so don't on a ship either.

At the a la carte specialty restaurants you could just order an entree for each child. Go to the buffet later for dessert.

Remember if you decide to buy UDP for the teens, it's one UDP per person, and minimum of 3 meals per UDP.

You cannot buy one 3 meal UDP and have all 3 kids share it.

Excuse the correction but it is now called the SDP (Specialty Dining Plan), different from the old UDP (Unlimited Dining Plan).

And no milk at all?

My daughter had no problem getting milk any time we sat down to eat

Excuse the correction but it is now called the SDP (Specialty Dining Plan), different from the old UDP (Unlimited Dining Plan).

Funny thing is that the keycards still say UDP

Excuse the correction on the correction. ;p

The old UDP was the Ultimate Dining Package.

Funny thing is that the keycards still say UDP

NCL still uses the letters "UDP" for the 3SDP, 4SDP, etc.....just to mess with people.