New to RCL and have a few questions

Hello everyone,

I will be taking my first cruise on Royal in May I have a few questions. Wewill be leaving Fort Lauderdale, On embarkation did you have any troubleboarding with only birth certificate and ID? I called and they said using them can take longer to get you processed. I have a passport but it expires in June. Can you get the sushi making class cheaperwhen your onboard? We brought the BOGO 2 night dining package, do this includeall specialty restaurants except the chiefs table? And we will be visiting Philipsburg, St. Maarten I wanted to find out if anyone have taken the St. Maartenisland tour or and Ultimate island tour: Explorer cruise and island tour. And ifso how would was those tours. Were unsure between these two and want to see alot of the island but also want to have fun. Thanks for any help, I keep tryingto find answers to these and seem to not find the answers. :)

Your passport is fine. You do not need to enter any countries (or the BC and ID would not be enough). And it only needs to be valid to the day you return to the US.

I have a passport but it expires in June.

While you can technically board with only a BC, it would be a good idea to bring your passport. If something happens while you're in Nassau or St. Maarten having that passport can make it a lot easier to get back home.

Can you get the sushi making class cheaperwhen your onboard?

Sometimes. Sometimes not. You'll not know until you actually get on board. If the class isn't filling up they might drop the price.

We brought the BOGO 2 night dining package, do this includeall specialty restaurants except the chiefs table?

Correct, with the exception of the suite-only restaurant if your ship is so-equipped.

Can't help with the St. Maarten tours, sorry. We haven't done those yet.

I've heard you need a passport to go to the French side of St. Martin

????

There is no internal border patrol that we have seen anytime we have cruised and/or taken land trips to St. Martin/Maartin. Is this information something new since Sept 2017?

We have done a couple of land tours around St Marteen and there is NO border crossing--not even a painted line on the ground.

As for passports, we always carry ours, but it would be best to call RCI, or your travel agent and ask them.

Cheers

Len

Technically, yes you only need a birth certificate since you are starting and ending your cruise tour in the USA. But if something happens to you while on the cruise, you will not be able to fly home without a valid passport that is more than 6 months out from expiration. That is the chance you take.

You still have time to renew your passport for your travel plans....I would not chance going without a current one....if for some reason something happens and they bump down more stringent regulations, you may be affected...personally - in today's culture, I would never travel out of the US without a passport regardless of what you can travel with....

My passport expires in July, and am cruising this week....I thought long and hard before I realized that I don't want to become a statistic. Even with almost 4 months left on before expiration - I renewed....took all of 9 days....

You still have time to renew your passport for your travel plans....I would not chance going without a current one...

The OP HAS a current passport.

Cruise is in May, passport expires in June.

Last time I looked, June was after May.

A BC and DL is all we ever use. It's no problem and takes no longer than a passport.

Well, it may take slightly longer scanning two documents instead of one but this isn't the Olympics and you won't be measuring the time in hundredths of a second.

The OP HAS a current passport.

Cruise is in May, passport expires in June.

Last time I looked, June was after May.

Yes, but if she has to fly back to the united states, the passport expiration has to be longer than 6 months out.

I've heard you need a passport to go to the French side of St. Martin

The island is 34 square miles. Population is 77K. Imagine if you had to go to immigration control everytime you went outside to go to the grocery store, to the park, to the bank or to anywhere. Some areas are less than 6 miles long. They would have to man I can't guess how many checkpoints in and out. No, you don't need a passport

My travel agent told me otherwise. But I'm no expert.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Your travel agent should know better and be much more educated on international travel than they apparently are.

It's my mother in law. But thanks for the insult.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If your mother in law would like to act as a travel agent, then she should be much more educated on the basics of international travel, so as not to provide completely inaccurate advice as she is doing. ;)

The expiration on you passport refers to entering other countries...some of the Caribbean islands follow the 6 month rule, meaning you need 6 months remaining on your passport at time of travel....
Absolutely, a US citizen can not be refused reentry to the United States even with expired Passport.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app