Can't tender, then what?

Even "if" NCL has all the regulatory approvals, environmental studies, plans & financing in place - the materials have to be shipped onto the island first plus construction crew, etc. working around (or, during) the hurricane season ... not going to happen with a few clicks, not even in a year's time, IMHO.

Look at how long it has taken them to finish that zipline tower and to the Haven exclusive area with the cabanas, the private lagoon, etc. I won't even begin to guess the timeline for finishing a 1,000 ft. long pier ... plus, more walkway (accessible friendly.)

Royal's dock/pier at the next island over, isn't finished yet ... anyone know when they started ?

Even "if" NCL has all the regulatory approvals, environmental studies, plans & financing in place - the materials have to be shipped onto the island first plus construction crew, etc. working around (or, during) the hurricane season ... not going to happen with a few clicks, not even in a year's time, IMHO.

Look at how long it has taken them to finish that zipline tower and to the Haven exclusive area with the cabanas, the private lagoon, etc. I won't even begin to guess the timeline for finishing a 1,000 ft. long pier ... plus, more walkway (accessible friendly.)

Royal's dock/pier at the next island over, isn't finished yet ... anyone know when they started ?

It's scheduled to take just over a year for the CocoCay pier. Started April last year I think and is supposed to open around June. It's very reasonable timing. NCL just doesn't seem to be able to get it together with their upgrades.

If you are curious to learn more about the pier and the partnership with the Bahamas: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7606

What are people's experience for ports where the ship is supposed to tender but can't tender that day because of weather etc. Does it hover off shore hoping conditions will improve? Does it just leave for the next port? I imagine piers are booked up most of the time. It can't just show up a day early. Does it chug around and call it a sea day? Inquiring minds want to know.:confused:

I was on a ship one day at a Tender port . It was windy and storming . An announcement was made that those who wished to go could do so. We were a group of 6 ,2 of our group decided to go and had no problems.

Construction down in that area definitely is slow. MSC's private island has been delayed years.

Construction down in that area definitely is slow. MSC's private island has been delayed years.
Didn't go ashore last November when BA stopped there but from what I could see with binoculars, the lagoon/premium area for Haven & new cabanas were basically an open air construction dump. Can't picture them starting work again this Spring, another active hurricane season just around the corner ... a little over 10 weeks away.

Plan B if we (Gem, again) don't make a stop there this May & do sail onward to dock by evening at Nassau ... maybe, take our bags and overnight at Baha Mas, our friends sailing with CAS will likely get comp'd to stay there as VIP or get a steep discount, we tagging along.

We will see & find out soon enough ...

Captain Holmes on the Allure Of The Seas November 2016 Eastern Caribbean sailing explained that it was too dangerous to enter the channel to safely dock in Nassau due to high winds. He explained that when the wind blows sideways it builds up in the balcony cabin voids and pushes the ship off course. He explained that he was concerned that the ship moving sideways would push it towards the breakwater and onto the rocks. A passenger asked about using tugs to hold the ship in position as it moved in the channel and he explained that it would be impossible to do with an Oasis class ship that large. The ships Master did what he had to do to keep the ship, passengers, and crew safe.

All three Royal Caribbean Oasis class vessels do not go to tender ports because it would take too much time to move the large amount of passengers on these ships.

Imagine trying to get them all on lifeboats in an emergency...I sort of feel the same way about NCL Mega Ships too...but still I go.

Imagine trying to get the all on lifeboats in an emergency...I sort of feel the same way about NCL Mega Ships too...but still I go.

I think it seems counter intuitive, but it's very possible they could load the boats faster on the mega ships compared to the older ships. Large walking track and waterfront area to congregate people and lots of life boats, etc.

Yep, easy and cheap for NCL to do. The repairs to the dock at Ketchikan were only $22 BILLION. It would be so cheap to just build one from scratch what with the eco impact issues, water current studies, ect.

I'm sure NCL will eventually do it, but before then they need to built the things ON the island that make it more than a beach stop.

Repair costs for the dock were less than a million

http://www.newsminer.com/business/anchorage-company-wins-contract-to-repair-ketchikan-dock/article_e43db8f4-2da7-11e6-98e9-5fd598ed632e.html

Yep, easy and cheap for NCL to do. The repairs to the dock at Ketchikan were only $22 BILLION. It would be so cheap to just build one from scratch what with the eco impact issues, water current studies, ect.

I'm sure NCL will eventually do it, but before then they need to built the things ON the island that make it more than a beach stop.

Where in the world did you get $22 billion??

If the prediction is for things to improve they may hang around, but that’s not the norm, they just turn it into a Sea day.

Rarely we have gotten another day in the next port or a replacement port. But that takes a lot of arranging and a free port being available.

The Breakaway skipped Great Stirrup Cay and sailed for Nassau and arrived the same day and docked overnight.

NCL can easily build a pier so that tender ports at Great Stirrup Cay is not needed, but they are cheap and won't do it. If you are confused about what I mean, look at New England such as Bar Harbor, Maine. Many of the New England ports need a tender boat, but they are now building a full-sized pier so that ships can dock directly.

You make some really naive assumptions without having all the facts. Don't assume that NCL is cheap. Will the Bahamian government allow it? How long would it have to be without constant dredging? Would dredging be allowed? You just don't have enough info to make such claims.

See my post #20 on this thread.

NCL is working with an engineering firm and a Bahamian contractor to develop a pier for GSC.

RCCL is building out their pier on the north side of their island Coco Cay which has an ocean floor topology similar to the adjacent GSC on the north side.

People on DisBoards complain that they sometimes miss Castaway Cay, and they wish they had sailed on a cruise line that tenders to their private island, since the ship can't dock at the pier so many times due to rough seas. :D

FYI - not a problem today with "what then ..."

Beautiful, sunny day at GSC. Breakaway got to GSC a bit earlier than scheduled this morning, full stop & tendering has been underway for hours - on live shipcam. As seen on the static image, RCL's ship also next door off their private island, running tenders ... no visible outline of "their" pier, yet.

Beautiful, sunny day at GSC. Breakaway got to GSC a bit earlier than scheduled this morning, full stop & tendering has been underway for hours - on live shipcam. As seen on the static image, RCL's ship also next door off their private island, running tenders ... no visible outline of "their" pier, yet.

What are you implying with RCI? You can see all the equipment and the pier construction, clearly.

It actually cost just under 1 million dollars.:cool::cool::cool:

They expect to be finished by next year. They were putting in pilings when we were there last November.