Passport EXPIRES on the day we Disembark?

caddykid12

Leaving in the horizon out of NYC

My aunt's passport expires on the day we get back to NYC.

Is that an issue.

It may be. I have seen/heard that a passport must be valid for at least another six months (or is it six weeks) from the time you travel. An acquaintance just recently had to cancel his trip as one of his family member's passport was not valid for that time frame. You may want to check the Carnival web site FAQ.

From Carnival's site:

Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel (unless otherwise noted). This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the United States to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests who must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the United States without significant delays and complications.

May not be an issue but it couldn't hurt to have a backup ID with her, just in case.

Since she is going to have to get the passport renewed anyway, best to go ahead and do it now. I think wait times for standard service are pretty short... less than expected.

If she can't or won't do that, bring a government-issued birth certificate. But if it were me, I would renew that passport pronto!

Is that an issue.

Unless she’s not planning on renewing at all, why not do it before the cruise? I believe it’s more expensive a process, if you let your passport expire and then apply for another.

Just a side note concerning passport renewal. Patti and I just renewed our passports, and from the time we mailed them to the time we received them was only 16 days. Now is a good time to do it.:cool:

Was getting ready to do online check in Super bowl weekend. Looked at DH and my passports- expired Jan 2018.

Got new pics/ send in the money- 2 weeks later- new passports. it costs 110 dollars per passport. the form is easy. just get it renewed.

We don't cruise until June of this year, but it is one less thing to worry about.

I'm guessing a cruise is the same but when my daughter went to Europe last summer they said it couldn't expire withing 6 months of travel date.

It may be. I have seen/heard that a passport must be valid for at least another six months (or is it six weeks) from the time you travel. An acquaintance just recently had to cancel his trip as one of his family member's passport was not valid for that time frame. You may want to check the Carnival web site FAQ.

Only certain countries have a 6 month requirement when visiting by air.

Unless she’s not planning on renewing at all, why not do it before the cruise? I believe it’s more expensive a process, if you let your passport expire and then apply for another.

It is not more expensive to renew after it expires.

I thought I'd read it somewhere that they had added an additional fee for expired passports. Dug around and I just found what I was looking for on the US Dept of State website... it's called an Acceptance Fee and it's $25, but it appears to only apply to NEW passports, not expired passports... so it sounds like you are quite correct!

Is that an issue.

Some countries require a passport to be valid for up to 6 months beyond your trip. I seriously doubt you're going to any of those countries. Carnival recommends that the passport be valid 6 months beyond the completion of travel, but it's not required (again, unless it's one of the aforementioned countries).

If she insists on not renewing it before you go, I'd advise her to take a certified copy of her birth certificate, just in case. Since it expires on the day you return, if anything happens to delay your return date, she'll need her birth cert. and government-issued photo ID upon your return.

In 2016 On a Caribbean cruise our passports expired less than a month from the last day of our cruise. No problem sailing with that but not sure if expiring on the last day falls in the same category.

3 0r 4 months later - When I sent in our renewal apps and $$ the passports arrived 2 weeks from the day I mailed them.

Not true. If a passport is not expired or has not been expired for more than 5 years, the renewal fee is the same $110. If a passport has been expired for more than five years it can not be renewed and you must apply as a new passport application rather than a renewal. Even a new passport is a $110 fee, but since it can not be mailed and you need to apply in person, there is an additional $25 fee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would get it renewed just in case. Things can happen, ships arrival can be delayed, people could get sick/ miss the ship in port and need to fly elsewhere, etc. Most likely everything would be fine, but it is really best to renew

Only after 10 years. Mine was expired and it cost the standard $110.

From US passport site:

You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport:

• Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person using form DS-11.

I would get it renewed just in case. Things can happen, ships arrival can be delayed, people could get sick/ miss the ship in port and need to fly elsewhere, etc. Most likely everything would be fine, but it is really best to renew

Exactly this! I don't believe the 6 month rule applies here since you don't need a passport to go on a cruise anyway but it does make it easier and what if the worst were to happen and you had to fly (where the 6 month rule does apply). I think if you're going to renew anyway, might as well, and if not, there shouldn't be any issues but you might want to cross those fingers ;)

Not true. If a passport is not expired or has not been expired for more than 5 years, the renewal fee is the same $110. If a passport has been expired for more than five years it can not be renewed and you must apply as a new passport application rather than a renewal. Even a new passport is a $110 fee, but since it can not be mailed and you need to apply in person, there is an additional $25 fee.

My answer was correct, it was incomplete. Yes, in order to avoid extra charges the passport must be renewed before 5 years has passed (for an adult passport).

I've heard recently the price of passports is going up so better to get it renewed now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The price of the acceptance fee for first time passports is going up to $35. This does not impact renewals by mail.