Harmony-"dummy" swipe card?

Does anyone know if the outlets will work without the key card in the slot? We're not so much concerned about the temp, since we'll probably keep the balcony curtains closed when we're not in the room, but if we leave any electronics charging, it would be a problem if the empty slot kept that from happening

Your phone will charge without the card being in the slot.

There is no need to waste power by leaving the a/c on in a room that is empty for hours. I am still overwhelmed with the number of people who are stating how they do this.

Global warming people.....global warming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought I saw somewhere that you should bring an old credit card to swipe in the cabin for ac or something?

I may be totally off on my memory.

Any help to explain what I am thinking about is appreciated.

YES - do that. Otherwise your AC will turn off. I kept an old Royal Caribbean SeaPass to put in there. Can also use a grocery rewards card, old credit card, etc. We never took it out until we left the last day.

Your phone will charge without the card being in the slot.

There is no need to waste power by leaving the a/c on in a room that is empty for hours. I am still overwhelmed with the number of people who are stating how they do this.

Global warming people.....global warming.

They make there own power, generators run 24/7. I hope the AC will now run with the balcony door open..

We have an old Blockbuster Card we use. We pull it halfway up or push it down depending on whether we’re going in or out. No need to take it out. Our stewards always do the same thing. The outlets do work. I think it’s for the lights. If the AC is off, it would take a while to cool the room again, and I’ve never come back hot and sweaty from a shore ex to a warm room. I really think it’s just the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They make there own power, generators run 24/7. I hope the AC will now run with the balcony door open..

...their....

Why do you need to keep the power on when you are not in the room? It is a waste. No one has answered this question.

As for having the a/c on when the balcony door is open... you have got to be kidding....if you want the balcony door open, then you want to be warm and you don’t need a/c do you....?

OT: I’ve just seen a picture onboard Symphony that straws are not provided... if you want a straw you need to ask and a paper one will be provided.

Well done RCI. A step in the right direction. Not sure if this is fleetwide or whether Symphony is first.

Edited by little britain

A bit off topic, but years ago I kinda had to do the same thing for the safe to work on Enchantment of the Seas. I had to use a “dummy card” to get in and out of the safe. Is this how the safe works on Allure?

]

No, uses a 4 digit code.

OT: I’ve just seen a picture onboard Symphony that straws are not provided... if you want a straw you need to ask and a paper one will be provided.

Well done RCI. A step in the right direction. Not sure if this is fleetwide or whether Symphony is first.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/plastic-on-cruise-ships-royal-caribbean/

The world’s largest cruise line, Royal Caribbean International, is pledging to eliminate single-use plastics from its fleet.

Royal Caribbean Internationals’s President and CEO, Michael Bayley, told the Telegraph that his line had joined forces with sister brands Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises to investigate how they could reduce the amount of plastics used in the daily operations of their combined 38 ships and ultimately eliminate all single-use plastic.

“We have a newly-formed plastics team within the corporation,” he said. “We manage our waste very well but we have an exciting opportunity to play our part in the overall reduction of plastic, which, it’s becoming clear for all to see, has such a negative impact on our oceans.”

Umm ... Just like on land, power generation is an on-demand operation. The number, and speed, of generators in use will vary to meet demand, so wasted power is wasted power.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I know the lights won't work- but I don't think it actually shuts the A/C off. Just down to whatever setting they feel is fitting- unlike the open balcony which does shut it off.

We often do NOT leave the card and I don't recall ever coming back to an overly warm, stuffy cabin. Warmer than if it had been on what we set it on, yes. But again, not hot as you might imagine with no A/C at all. Just my recollection.

You can fold a piece of paper to put in the slot...doesn't have to be a "card"...anything that will fit will work.

But easier to just keep an old hotel room key or in my case, an old Blockbuster card, in with your travel dox, like passport or birth certificate.

The card travels with us.

Just for info, in some hotels now, the card MUST be a current room card. The slot either has and RFID reader or reads the mag strip.

In most hotels that require this, if you ask, they will give you a second card for the power slot.

I have found in hotels, that at times, the house keeper will remove the card. I don't think they are doing it on purpose, they are just used to removing their card when they are done.