Looking for recommendations - Magic or Glory

TealDukie

Hi, DH and I are looking to book our first cruise. We are considering the Magic and the Glory. Both have itineraries that are similar and the cost of flights is less then a $200 difference. I am hoping to get some opinions as to which ship would be better for a first time cruiser. Thanks :)

Hi, DH and I are looking to book our first cruise. We are considering the Magic and the Glory. Both have itineraries that are similar and the cost of flights is less then a $200 difference. I am hoping to get some opinions as to which ship would be better for a first time cruiser. Thanks :)
I've sailed both, and if you don't have kids with you, I'd suggest the Glory over the Magic overall because it has a less crowded feel overall. However, I was surprised at how similar they looked and felt most of the time. The cloud 9 spa on the Magic is fantastic if that's something you'd take advantage of. You also get Guy's BBQ and the Italian restaurant at lunch on the Magic, but wasn't impressed enough with either one to have that make a decision between these two in the future. Overall we absolutely loved both ships, and you can't go wrong with either one!

I have also been on both. We liked both, however, the vibe was completely different. Not sure if it was because one sailed from Galveston & the other from Miami or not.

The Magic out of Galveston was friendlier and more suited us music and activity wise. The Glory out of Miami played a lot of club hip hop techno music everywhere. The people in general were not as nice.

The Magic has the Red Frog Pub that serves $2.25 appetizers like conch fritters & coconut shrimp. Not something to choose a cruise ship by, but something we do consider.

Our High School & college kids cruise with us. On the Glory & smaller, we would run across them a few times during the day out & about. Easy to check in. On the Magic, we had to look for each other, rarely just happened to see one another.

On the Magic, a lot of kids hung out by the waterslides, etc and freed up a little space by the lido pool.

There are 2 things that stand out to me that place Magic above Glory...first Cloud 9 spa. It costs extra (or is included in a spa category cabin) and the walk around deck 5. Both of these make Magic the choice for us. We've sailed on her twice (different itineraries) and love her.

We sailed Glory in Nov and just got off of the Magic on Sat. The kids enjoyed the Magic more for the Sports Square activities. My husband and I are Alchemy regulars and Alchemy felt completely different on the Magic since it's right next to the live music in Ocean Plaza. It made it difficult to have conversations with the Alchemy bartenders and customers, plus it was insanely busy some nights. My husband loved the music in the Glory Atrium from the Glorious Bandsters. I can't speak to crowds since Glory was over Thanksgiving and Magic was during Spring Break, so both were crowded. Embarkation was smooth for both ships as well. I think Magic has a leg up on Glory, especially if sailing with kids, but I wouldn't hesitate to sail Glory again.

In my 35+ cruises on Carnival ships , I have never seen unkept ships. We have been on both and much prefer the magic for many reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congrats! If we are having a measuring contest you win!

I have only been on 6 (i think) carnival ships. None of them even close to the level of disrepair of the Carnival Magic. Based on your signature it appears that my time on the Magic was two years later than yours. Perhaps it was perfect when you were there and now it isn't? OR perhaps your standards are really low. There really is no good way to tell.

Thanks again for sharing how awesome you are with your 35+ cruises though!!

Prefer Dream class over Conquest, so it would be Magic for me. Love Ocean Plaza with Alchemy Bar close by. Great area for pre-dinner cocktails and music. Outdoor promenade is also lovely. While we had no issues on Glory, there was nothing particularly memorable about it either.

Even Fantasy class will be a WOW for a newbie.

Yes. As in "wow this ship is ugly". Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;p

We've sailed the Glory once and sister ships four more times, Magic twice and Breeze (also a sister ship) three times. I'd choose the Magic. She has similar amenities but a little bit more to offer. Magic has a better lido experience (good for kids), plus the seating outside the Red Frog is great to watch the stars. Also Cucina del Capitano has amazing food and service for a nominal fee at dinner. Glory has a better experience for watching movies under the stars. It depends what you like. Depending on your budget, the cove balconies on the Magic are perfect - no better place for me to sit, relax and read while my hubby and daughter take a nap. That being said, wherever would be less stressful as a home port matters too. I live in Florida and the home port plays a big part of my decision. Even though I prefer the Magic, I'd choose the Glory if I knew it would be less stressful for the trip to and from the port. You'll have a great time no matter which one you choose!

While I like both ships and think you will enjoy either one, I like the layout of the Magic better than the Glory and she is a bit newer as well.

Either will give you a WOW factor as a first timer. Start with Glory and if you like it, move up to Dream class. Even Fantasy class will be a WOW for a newbie. EM

I agree with this. I also agree with the poster who found the Magic to have a more crowded feel., though it does have a few more bells and whistles. Is there any difference itineraries at all? Something you think might be the same might - like Freeport vs. Half Moon - would be very different.

Congrats! If we are having a measuring contest you win!

I have only been on 6 (i think) carnival ships. None of them even close to the level of disrepair of the Carnival Magic. Based on your signature it appears that my time on the Magic was two years later than yours. Perhaps it was perfect when you were there and now it isn't? OR perhaps your standards are really low. There really is no good way to tell.

Thanks again for sharing how awesome you are with your 35+ cruises though!!

...or we could be nice and just keep it at comments. I did not know that the number of cruises invalidate my input. Six must be the perfect number. Was I snarky to you? My comments were not so much that having more makes me better but that it gives a reference over a period of time. Would I be shocked that one particular ship has a dramatic upkeep difference from the other 25? Yes I would. I could have mentioned that I have been on another 14 Carnival ships as a visitor and still seen nothing like that, but did not. Could it be that it is due for a dry dock instead of headed for the salvage yards? Lets see, you win the snarky comment race also. Happy cruising.

...or we could be nice and just keep it at comments. I did not know that the number of cruises invalidate my input. Six must be the perfect number. Was I snarky to you? My comments were not so much that having more makes me better but that it gives a reference over a period of time. Would I be shocked that one particular ship has a dramatic upkeep difference from the other 25? Yes I would. I could have mentioned that I have been on another 14 Carnival ships as a visitor and still seen nothing like that, but did not. Could it be that it is due for a dry dock instead of headed for the salvage yards? Lets see, you win the snarky comment race also. Happy cruising.

Magic must have really went downhill in a few months LOL! I was on in October. Friendliest crew of ANY ship Ive ever been on. Absolutely didnt see any level of disrepair anywhere. I was on her the year before right after drydock. Everything looked the same to me in October. No idea what the OP is talking about.

Magic must have really went downhill in a few months LOL! I was on in October. Friendliest crew of ANY ship Ive ever been on. Absolutely didnt see any level of disrepair anywhere. I was on her the year before right after drydock. Everything looked the same to me in October. No idea what the OP is talking about.

LOL, sometimes I just don't feel the love from some posters.....thanks

Not the OP but a different poster.

Wish I could answer your question about the Magic, but I won't have any answers on it, until another week, as we are leaving this Saturday on the Magic.:)

As for the Glory, I think it is a good ship as well, as I have done it, and we were pleased with it too.