"LIVE" - Ovation of the Seas (April 9-26, 2018), Bill & Marie's slow boat to China

It does look scary but it was rather tame. I barely noticed as I was watching the scenery.

So lets get this straight, you wouldn't go near the edge on the infinity pool, but you took the incline down the hill with no problems?

You can't imagine how much I am enjoying this. We are going on the Ovation from Beijing to Singapore in October and haven't been to that part of the world before, Japan was the closest. Can you try to post more pictures of the ship if you have time pretty please?
I will once we have some at sea days. I'll do a walk and post of the ship.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

So lets get this straight, you wouldn't go near the edge on the infinity pool, but you took the incline down the hill with no problems?
Yup. [emoji3] maybe that has more to do with my swimming phobia.

Time to go back to Asia.

It's certainly got me thinking. Looking forward to Beijing

I have been trying to interest DH in that part of Asia - we loved our Japan to Singapore trip a few years ago, but I'd like to try this route, too.

Simply stunning pictures! I remember seeing Andrew Zimmern eat durian on Bizarre Foods and he could barely keep it down. You are a brave man. Really enjoying the review.

DH had durian ice cream in Singapore. I had to leave the table.

I didn't care for the mushy texture but the favor was pleasant. It's really the smell that is the distraction. I read somewhere this description of the aroma:

“turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock”

I think it is accurate, especially on a hot muggy day, I can see why it is banned on Singapore mass transit. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

You forgot goat farts.:eek:

PCWALTON1: Your pictures are unbelievable! Always follow your live reviews, now you take me to places I probably will never visit! Enjoying!:)

Never say never. We had never thought to cruise Asia and look what happened.

Enjoyed touring with you and Marie yesterday. Thanks for setting up a great tour. Hope you enjoyed the elephants today.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Forums mobile app

Glad you had a fun time Sue. Today was not on par with the Malaysia trip but we had fun.

Today was our stay in Phuket and our only excursion booked through the ship. We spent the afternoon at an elephant jungle sanctuary. It was a fun time but it will not be on the top five for this cruise.

It was my fault as I got lazy and did not want to set up a private tour for the tender port. Little did I know how efficiently they could get 4000 passengers top the beach. 35 minutes from the time we left the cabin to the time the tender docked. Oh well.

The tour of course was a big bus and we drove an hour and a half into the jungle with a bus load of strangers including an 8 month old toddler who was way too hot most of the time and let everyone in ear shot know it.

But my biggest disappointment was the food. Sorry I can get better Thai food from my local take out back in Seattle. But all of that was my fault so let's move on.

d179456661cf9ad85c588d266629adfd.jpg

89666b61770b76283cd14749d33bfccb.jpg

88d68c833a00de6bd113ba743b48e267.jpg

cac5af549eec7b9aa9bb3acbf0eece6a.jpg

ad6aa683c914f766bb09cf06294bcbcd.jpg

0881f0fce2f7b04241d0073d7d75bf6a.jpg

The trip across the island was uneventful, we did pass a rubber tree plantation

4220bc2d4f0691cdb4cff2db007421fe.jpg

And as we we're waiting to transfer from the big bus to a baht bus we wandered over to the beach.

efc1ba327d7f321d47bbe6169412a8ab.jpg

It is great that they have this sanctuaries to help these elephants that have been worked most of their lives.

The first opportunity was for a meet and greet with some of the elephants.

378e0f16677601033baeea35f60d7819.jpg

4084cc23cc96385e5ba0241cd050bd4d.jpg

On the way back our guide told us in Thailand a water festival was starting that runs for four days. When we got back in town there was one street in particular where the activities were heavy.

Sorry about the pictures but the bus had already been shot a few times. The bus stopped us about a third of a mile from the pier so we had to run a gauntlet (failing miserably) to try to stay dry. At least the street were travelled was not as bad as the one in the pictures. And in this heat the water felt good.

efda4d40b1b4a060d6f1d21503f05351.jpg

992562af71b9cc441b65b0c7fe386f1d.jpg

6e15e32c40244bab20ef88b886deb1f5.jpg

2cd31ff18c9f8b682aeea5625197244a.jpg

1dcdc8e4fe5bafbf4967986b347bf993.jpg

2c77b286ee398b30d1558d613de9ec3b.jpg

Never a dull moment! I know you were looking forward to the elephants, it looks as though you got some up close and personal moments with them. What a thrill! It reminds me of that Amazing Race segment, lol!

As always, great photos -- you capture the scene beautifully. :)

Hi Bill

As all have said this is great following along, thanks

Quick question, we are on Ovation in New Zealand this coming winter and was wondering if you can elaborate on the tendering situation. You mentioned they handled it well but did they use a local company or their own life boats ( Celebrity used their own life boats in Edinburgh last August and it was a nightmare). How did they hand out boarding tickets? We have one port to tender while on our cruise.

Appreciate it.

Never a dull moment! I know you were looking forward to the elephants, it looks as though you got some up close and personal moments with them. What a thrill! It reminds me of that Amazing Race segment, lol!

As always, great photos -- you capture the scene beautifully. :)

I did enjoy the elephants, such peaceful animals

Hi Bill

As all have said this is great following along, thanks

Quick question, we are on Ovation in New Zealand this coming winter and was wondering if you can elaborate on the tendering situation. You mentioned they handled it well but did they use a local company or their own life boats ( Celebrity used their own life boats in Edinburgh last August and it was a nightmare). How did they hand out boarding tickets? We have one port to tender while on our cruise.

Appreciate it.

The ship has a tender boat but most of the hauling was contracted boats. Large and efficient. When we left at 9 AM there were no tender tickets, were just boarded.

Have you had a chance to get to Coastal Kitchen. We loved the food and the great service from Snow and Amy.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

For this 5 day cruise we have the Ultimate Dining but for the upcoming 12 day cruise we have reservations for Coastal Kitchen.

First of all I am so impressed by your photography ........your pictures are awesome and I must say everyone has a "gift" and one of yours is definitely behind the lens.

Also, I'm glad you did not partake in the bathing of the elephants, do not know where that water has been or what was added to it:o

Finally, almost choked on the post on the thread about "goat farts", we never studied that in school and I am a city girl.

Love this thread.

Thank you

Safe travels.

HI Marie!!!!!

First of all I am so impressed by your photography ........your pictures are awesome and I must say everyone has a "gift" and one of yours is definitely behind the lens.

Also, I'm glad you did not partake in the bathing of the elephants, do not know where that water has been or what was added to it:o

Finally, almost choked on the post on the thread about "goat farts", we never studied that in school and I am a city girl.

Love this thread.

Thank you

Safe travels.

HI Marie!!!!!

The woman telling us about the activities said the water was clean and she drinks it. I was skeptical. [emoji849]

Your previous tour looked amazing, so much to take in. As far as the elephants, the mud looked very thick, I can't believe people were standing in it.

It was, they told everyone not to wear shoes as they would get stuck in the mud.