With all the negativity

thesmiths

I have been reading about Carnival this and Carnival that how bad this is...and how the colors of that ship sucks.....

All I have to say is I can't wait for our cruise!

I so look forward to a vacation and with all the crap my wife & I have been through....

I'll bring back all the positives!

Good for you! A lot of the negatives are from people who don't cruise on Carnival and/or have private agendas. Others are knee jerk reactions automatically calling any change a cut back.

... Others are knee jerk reactions automatically calling any change a cut back.

I'll second that statement. Things change all the time, all over, but every change is not automatically a negative.

On some of my earlier cruises I liked the short-order breakfast station. But then it went away? ... No, it just moved. On our last couple of Carnival cruises it was inside, instead of outside the entrance where the line blocked traffic too often. And breakfast was just as good as ever ... after we figured out that we could ask for fresh eggs to be cracked for scrambled instead of having them poured from a bowl. And there seemed to be more fruit available for breakfast on our last cruise. Or maybe it was just in a different place. Ch-ch-ch-changes... are inevitable. We've just gotta keep up.

I like Carnival but you won't catch me on their worst ship. Triumph is a rust bucket. I don't have to like all of their ships. I also hated the Splendor.

Being booked on the Splendor in December, I would like to know why you hated the ship? I know it is pink and has a bit of an odd layout, but what did you not like?

Being booked on the Splendor in December, I would like to know why you hated the ship? I know it is pink and has a bit of an odd layout, but what did you not like?

Don't get me wrong we still had a great cruise on the Splendor. The décor was awful and the layout is bad. Also hated the covered middle pool. Hate is probably exaggerated but wouldn't book it again. Aside from that you will enjoy the cruise. We just prefer other Carnival ships.

Sounds like you and your wife really need a vacation. I think that you are ready, set , go for a very wonderful, happy and full of positives cruise vacation:) Go in to your cruise, knowing that something will likely not be perfect, but look at the overall big picture. You will be on a ship with a crew who in my experience, go over and above to make your vacation a happy and memorable one. You will be sailing to ports of call to explore and enjoy. So much to look forward to and so much to enjoy. Have fun! Make happy memories, and hope to hear how it went when you get home.:)

Thank you,

Exactly how I feel about it. 4 New Ports for us.

Havana Aft Wrap. Bring it on!

2 Dinners in The Steak House, One in Italian.

We can't wait. Been since 2010 that we have been on vaca, right after that My wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

Blessed to be going with her for our 25th.

I have been reading about Carnival this and Carnival that how bad this is...and how the colors of that ship sucks.....

I so look forward to a vacation and with all the crap my wife & I have been through....

Please bring back some of that positive mojo. I never had a vacation that I hated, I'm on vacation!!!

I have been on 4 Cruise-lines- Disney, Celebrity, Royal, and Carnival. Royal is my favorite and that’s our choice this summer but I have been on 3 Carnival cruises and have my 4th booked next summer on the Vista. Each Cruise line has its positives and its up to the cruiser to find them and take advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't wait for our June cruise either...we LOVE the Breeze and the island decor. :-D

We've never had a bad cruise..nope. Not even when we sailed on the Triumph just a couple months after the infamous Poop Cruise. We talked to the CD who'd been on that sailing and she said the news reports were grossly exaggerated. She also said that they hadn't actually served sandwiches with just toppings (onions, lettuce, etc) and no meat but that people had gotten greedy and filched meat from the sandwiches and left only the toppings behind. So if you were way back in the line, for example, you got sandwiches with just onions or whatever because the idiots before you had filched the meat.

Thank you,

Exactly how I feel about it. 4 New Ports for us.

Havana Aft Wrap. Bring it on!

2 Dinners in The Steak House, One in Italian.

We can't wait. Been since 2010 that we have been on vaca, right after that My wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

Blessed to be going with her for our 25th.

Wishing you both good health on what will surely be a wonderful experience. Hard to imagine anything on the cruise could be worth grumbling about after what you’ve been through.

I lost a college friend to cancer at 37 and you know, I haven’t felt as complainey about anything since then.

To each their own of course but when people detail their dislikes of these cruises in a descriptive way (rather than emotional or whiny) I often think, that’s legitimate.

I can see why that detail bothers some people, but I wouldn’t be bothered (in many cases I wouldn’t even notice the things they mention, or I would prefer the very thing they dislike). It’s rare anyone rants about their cruise that I would relate. Safety is probably the only thing that would concern me.

I want a cabin with a functioning bathroom, a/c, and a good bed. I want unlimited food to be included in the fare from early morning to late night of at least school cafeteria quality. Fresh salad veggies are a plus. I want outdoor decks with chairs, a variety of daily programs and evening shows. Oh yeah morning coffee. I don’t want to spend tens of thousands of dollars.

To me, lowering myself means cheating, being rude, or committing crimes, not mingling with commoners at a buffet.

If I find myself getting huffy about things I ask myself “I wonder how Carol would like to be dealing with this situation, on a vacation with her children, rather than leaving it all behind 14 years ago when all three children were under 5 years old?” I owe it to Carol to enjoy every moment that she wasn’t given and for some reason I was.

I will say I mainly take carnival out of convenience. Close to home and reasonable on price. I can also say I have had all good trips. 9 with Carnival one with Royal Caribbean. I think there is a difference in the two lines and other lines and I think some people have it right that branching out is good.

I see things critically because I am a restaurant supervisor. And tend to pick things out. Drives my DW crazy. But I just have to let the negative things go and focus on the positive. Because of I just focus on the negative all the time I will miss the positives.

I will say however I think that a cruise should be an awesome almost flawless experience. I think that Carnival and maybe other lines cram too many people on and cut this and that and cut staff so the staff that is there don’t care enough or are just tired. I think this has changed over the 15 years I have cruised. But I still decide to cruise. I guess I will stop cruising when the negatives out weigh the positives. Not there quite yet.

I will say I mainly take carnival out of convenience. Close to home and reasonable on price. I can also say I have had all good trips. 9 with Carnival one with Royal Caribbean. I think there is a difference in the two lines and other lines and I think some people have it right that branching out is good.

I see things critically because I am a restaurant supervisor. And tend to pick things out. Drives my DW crazy. But I just have to let the negative things go and focus on the positive. Because of I just focus on the negative all the time I will miss the positives.

I will say however I think that a cruise should be an awesome almost flawless experience. I think that Carnival and maybe other lines cram too many people on and cut this and that and cut staff so the staff that is there don’t care enough or are just tired. I think this has changed over the 15 years I have cruised. But I still decide to cruise. I guess I will stop cruising when the negatives out weigh the positives. Not there quite yet.

That's an interesting viewpoint, and about cutting staff, that would have a negative impact on a lot of things. Tho I am usually amazed at how big the crew of a cruise ship are....CC says that Magic for example has 1386 crew and that's more than 1 crew member for every 3 passengers, but how many of that number are operating the ship rather than performing client services.

I see that some people seem to just sit back and wait for some reason to complain about just about anything and they will ALWAYS find something negative when that's their top priority. A reasonable critique is one thing but nitpicking about whether a busboy was pleasant or not is probably just going too far. If they don't smile at me maybe I'm the problem lol....

Any cruise, regardless of cruise line, ultimately is what you make of it.

Negative people were going to find something to complain about no matter what, because they look for things to complain about, then use that opportunity to go straight to Guest Services and make a spectacle of themselves in order to get something for free, be it on board credit, a bottle of wine, a dinner in the steakhouse, or just a way to justify reducing or eliminating tips.

Enjoy your cruise and know that if you treat the crew as hardworking people, who give up a lot and take a lot of crap from others, you will find that they are the NICEST people you're ever going to meet.

For food and entertainment, there are many options. If someone doesn't find something they like, they simply weren't going to like anything offered.

Weather: well, that part is up to Mother Nature!

Enjoy your cruise.

[quote=RWolver672;55884320]The next time you see a negative posting, look at their post counts. More than likely, they are first time posters. Then there are a couple on here who post nothing but negative posts. I can't help but wonder why they come on a Carnival Board if they detest Carnival so bad, other than to just put it down.

Yes; there are trolls but post count is not the best measure of "knowledge" or background. I have been part of Cruise Critic for 18 years and have around 60 cruises under my belt and I was the moderator and Admin for Cruisemates. My post count is under 1100. Even with the number of cruises I have I can still only give my opinion on some things and it's the same with everyone in regard to color schemes, best and worst ships, food, etc..

A cruise can be what you make it but often there are changes that long time cruisers see that someone who has only been of 2 or 5 cruises doesn't see. If someone makes a negative observation of the cruise line or ship decor many people take it as a personal attack rather than a valid statement or opinion.

I have seen many, many people on this site, and others, with post counts in the four and five digit range who don't know their aft from a hole in the water and give very bad advice.

Yes: I may post a negative comment about changes but overall I love Carnival and I have future cruises booked with them, along with Azamara and NCL. I still say Carnival is your best bang for the buck at sea. My best advice is go forth, cruise, have fun and form your own opinion.

Take care,

Mike

post count is not the best measure of "knowledge" or background
I agree, nor is there any way to know whether someone is relating what they know in reasonable perspective. Perhaps a reflection of our media saturated world, but way too often people overstate their concerns drastically in an attempt to make them sound more critical than they are in reality. People often present their criticisms deliberately withholding mitigating facts, such as comparisons of price, adjusted for inflation, that perhaps would make the criticism less significant. And so on. It pays to dig into any criticisms to determine how relevant they might be vis a vis the future vacation experience you are researching.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Yes; there are trolls but post count is not the best measure of "knowledge" or background. I have been part of Cruise Critic for 18 years and have around 60 cruises under my belt and I was the moderator and Admin for Cruisemates. My post count is under 1100. Even with the number of cruises I have I can still only give my opinion on some things and it's the same with everyone in regard to color schemes, best and worst ships, food, etc..

A cruise can be what you make it but often there are changes that long time cruisers see that someone who has only been of 2 or 5 cruises doesn't see. If someone makes a negative observation of the cruise line or ship decor many people take it as a personal attack rather than a valid statement or opinion.

I have seen many, many people on this site, and others, with post counts in the four and five digit range who don't know their aft from a hole in the water and give very bad advice.

Yes: I may post a negative comment about changes but overall I love Carnival and I have future cruises booked with them, along with Azamara and NCL. I still say Carnival is your best bang for the buck at sea. My best advice is go forth, cruise, have fun and form your own opinion.

Take care,

Mike

Typically, I see people with lower post counts participating in a civil, rational manner. The ones with very low counts who immediately begin trolling the boards are more than likely people who have been around a long time using new accounts. I know of one who's on his third account, at least, because his behavior keeps getting his usernames banned. So his newest one simply looks like a new user being a jerk when, in fact, he's a long-time user. Then there's the ones who post just to watch their post count rise, not interested in contributing anything of value. And the one who constantly posts the shortest possible posts he/she can, usually absolutely worthless, which is probably just their way of raising their post count, as if a high count somehow means more.

I'm someone with not a lot of posts here and soon to be going on what is only our second cruise, but in many ways, that doesn't mean squat. I was a member of the old Carnival FunVille forums for almost two years before it closed. I learned a lot there, by reading Carnival's FAQ's, researching in general, and here on CC. Even with only one cruise under my belt, I've been able to answer a heck of a lot of questions and give, what I believe to be, a lot of good advise over the last three years. I certainly have a lot more to learn and experience when it comes to cruising, but there's a lot to cruising that doesn't take a dozen cruises to be able to grasp. I'm not going to let a low post and cruise count stop me from helping anyone I can. If someone is able to answer a question correctly or give advise that others find useful, who cares about their post/cruise count.

If you take the time to look, you'll find that each cruise line, and each ship within a particular cruise line has both positive and negative remarks from cruisers. There's an old saying, "One man's poison is another man's pleasure." The Liberty is one of my favorite ships. It's sister ship, the Conquest, not so much. Someone else may be just the opposite. I never book or not book a cruise based on someone else's opinions. When Embarkation Day arrives, I try to keep my expectations at a reasonable level and board with the attitude that it's going to be a great cruise.
I have been on the conquest twice. Was it my favorite ship? No. Were they great, memorable cruises? Absolutely! Part of the fun is experiencing a new ship, fully expecting there will be things you like and things you don't.