Drinks prices and Bars on QM2

firsttimewithcunard

Here the Anglo-American divide influences one's take on Cunard drink prices.

As an American, I found the prices on QE last August to be on par with most U.S. market cruise ships. And, if anything, the quality, service and presentation of drinks say in Commodore Club, better than Oceania. Much better. Oceania has an all-inclusive drinks package (including gratuity) that runs $59 a day or about £42. And while we probably drank less on QE, by using the wine package in the dining room, we wound up spending LESS than we would on Oceania and not feeling deprived. And received better service and quality at the same time.

Of course, any ship is going to charge the prices found in large capitals not regional cities or towns. And the costs are made more complicated by Cunard charging dollars not sterling even out of the U.K.

And yes, Cunard has been offering American market customers free drinks (incl service fee) for Queen and Princess Grill passengers for the last two years. The only caveat is that it's for drinks priced $12 and under (but using the smaller measure this includes most choices). This and free gratuities, $550/£400 pp in on-board credit (past passenger, booked on-board and agency bonus credit) clinched us to book Princess Grill this August on QE and in the end, it's cheaper by quite a large measure than Oceania.

Edited by kohl57

Sorry but dont go on a cruise to sit in my stateroom drinking just to save money.

A $20 corking fee you can take a bottle to all the restaurants and bars. No one would want to stay in their stateroom every evening, but for some, a Cunard cruise is paid for with years of hard saving so money saved is money spent on other little luxuries.

I find it hysterical that on the much visited thread on the change in dress code designations so many are furious that the code is becoming a bit less formal, yet here people are comparing the price of a drink on Cunard to local pubs and restaurants which are casual in nature and do not require any dress code. You can't have it both ways. You want to wear a tuxedo and gown at night then you'll have to pay a bit more for your drink. And from what I see from the drinks menu the prices seem to be quite reasonable. I paid 35 euros for a martini at the bar in my hotel in Lucerne this year.

I DO stand with cruising buddy, eroller, in thinking that it's silly and irritating to charge for drink mixers if they come out of a can (as in tonic in a G&T). Cunard is also alone, amongst all the lines with which I'm familiar, to charge for this.

As you know I'm in complete agreement with you! I think Cunard drink prices are more than other cruise lines (and I sail them all), and also a very weak pour in comparison. It's probably by biggest complaint about Cunard, along with the lack of technology upgrades and dismal internet service.

I bow to Mr. Roller's greater experience (not necessarily with drinking but sailing on more lines), but still thought Cunard gave good value. And certainly way better value than Holland America Line where the "happy hour" half-priced martini is.. served in a half-sized glass and the regular priced ones run more on vapor than pour. A bottle of gin in a HAL bar lasts longer than many premierships in Italy.

On our last Oceania cruise (in REGATTA) we were really turned off by the poor service afforded passengers with the drinks package (vs. those putting individual charges on their account)... it was so evident that we complained to the bar manager. So frankly, paying "full price" on Cunard seemed a better value. The service, presentation and nibbles say in Commodore Club was far, far more impressive than Oceania. We've always enjoyed tip-top bar service on every one of our myriad Cunard crossings and cruises actually.

And yes, it's amusing the parallel universes of the dress code and bar price thread... conjuring up images of dinner jacketed and gowned passengers stuck in their cabins nursing the lukewarm bottle of prosecco they bought earlier that day in some supermarket in port.

Edited by kohl57

I bow to Mr. Roller's greater experience (not necessarily with drinking but sailing on more lines), but still thought Cunard gave good value. And certainly way better value than Holland America Line where the "happy hour" half-priced martini is.. served in a half-sized glass and the regular priced ones run more on vapor than pour. A bottle of gin in a HAL bar lasts longer than many premierships in Italy.

On our last Oceania cruise (in REGATTA) we were really turned off by the poor service afforded passengers with the drinks package (vs. those putting individual charges on their account)... it was so evident that we complained to the bar manager. So frankly, paying "full price" on Cunard seemed a better value. The service, presentation and nibbles say in Commodore Club was far, far more impressive than Oceania. We've always enjoyed tip-top bar service on every one of our myriad Cunard crossings and cruises actually.

Peter I must say your comparisons are with the worst possible cruise lines when it comes to cocktails (HAL and Oceania) with NCL right there as well. Yes I will admit Cunard doesn't look too bad in comparison with those lines. At least they don't charge separately for mixers though. HAL's drinks are dismal, and Oceania's are even more expensive than Cunard and only slightly better made. NCL also has expensive drinks, but they are well made at least. Special thanks to FDR for those high drink prices on NCL and Oceania. I do agree I've always had excellent bar service on modern day Cunard, and really excellent service all around on Cunard. It's one reason I keep going back. I do find it odd they insist on using the English style measuring for drinks (exact and no free pour), and they are the only line I've sailed where they charge seperately for a mixer. I understand P&O does this as well. Funny though Cunard still charges for everything in US dollars onboard. If they truly want to to do things the British way, then perhaps they should convert onboard accounts to the British pound like P&O? I better understood the US dollar thing when Cunard carried far more US passengers and was based in the US. Now it's mostly British, and the line is headquartered in Southampton.

Back to drinks, I just got off a Princess cruises a few weeks ago. Great drinks. Well made, great service, and very reasonably priced. More reasonable drink pricing (and better made cocktails) can also be found on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, MSC, Disney, Costa, and Windstar. I love the drinks on Seabourn, Silversea, and Azamara because they are included. In January I sailed in the Yacht Club on MSC Seaside. The drinks were included there as well, and the bartender in the Top Sail Lounge would let me tell him when to stop the pour, customizing the drink to my preference. Talk about service!

Special thanks to FDR for those high drink prices ...

What does Franklin Delano Roosevelt have to do with high drink prices? After all it was during his administration that all of us Yankees could drink once again, and not have to do so on a BERENGARIA booze cruise!:evilsmile:

I was paying £5.50 for a can of Strongbow last year on the QV. I think that pushed me over the edge.

But before our last cruise I also would have said that Cunard bar prices were inline with London pubs, but I'd not say that now.

Also, the biggest problem is the length of the cruise. If we assume the prices are London Hotel/restaurant prices, that's fine for a night or two but not when it's 14 nights (or whatever) in a row. So if I go to an expensive place to eat and the drinks prices are high, well I just think "okay, it's only for a night". Now do that for 14 nights on the trot and you feel that you are being had over.

Another point to note is that clearly (from what people have said above), people in the US are used to paying far more in America for drinks than people from the UK are used to in Britain.

Why all the angst?

Just use your OBC, either from FCV, Cunard Fare Booking, Shareholder Benefit, or any combination of all three.

It's free money. ;)

Lucky you then. Our TA this June has no OBC of any kind so it's good old-fashioned hard earned money that will be paying for my drinks!

Lucky you then. Our TA this June has no OBC of any kind so it's good old-fashioned hard earned money that will be paying for my drinks!

June?

One still has time to become a Carnival Shareholder, and receive up to $250.00 OBC

June?

One still has time to become a Carnival Shareholder, and receive up to $250.00 OBC

umm If I have this correct I need to buy 100 shares at $64.36 each. I would probably need a very stiff drink to spend that amount of cash to get $100 OBC :')

umm If I have this correct I need to buy 100 shares at $64.36 each. I would probably need a very stiff drink to spend that amount of cash to get $100 OBC :')

Think long term

However, one can always purchSe a couple (or more) FCV when on the ship

Why all the angst?

Just use your OBC, either from FCV, Cunard Fare Booking, Shareholder Benefit, or any combination of all three.

It's free money. ;)

Plenty of angst for those that havent got a FCV, Shareholder Benefit or no OBC so havent got any free money.

However, free money is possible for those who wish to achieve it.

There is "no such thing as a free lunch." Any on-board credit is somehow tied to the cruise line charging you more then they need to for the cruise. By paying higher then necessary commission to a travel agent who then gives you back some of your own money in OBC.

It all comes out of the fares you have already paid.

There is "no such thing as a free lunch." Any on-board credit is somehow tied to the cruise line charging you more then they need to for the cruise. By paying higher then necessary commission to a travel agent who then gives you back some of your own money in OBC.

Really?

A few years ago we got a great price PLUS $3980 free OBC for 2 weeks on board. It was tough trying to spend it all.

Think your premise is not fully thought through. According to your therory, Shareholder's Benefit, FCV, and Booking the Cunard Fare (when lower than Saver Fare) direct with Cunard are not included. Why was that?

Think your premise is not fully thought through. According to your therory, Shareholder's Benefit, FCV, and Booking the Cunard Fare (when lower than Saver Fare) direct with Cunard are not included. Why was that?

I agree with LB_NJ

Shareholders Benefit, you have to buy 100 shares which is expensive, for the minimal return, if like most people cruising are only able to take One Holiday a year. The reward for holding has not increased for years. Todays cost for that would be £4700 approx.

FCD can be good value however, here in the UK The Booking has to be made within one year or you lose the £50 deposit, which does get deducted if you book within the time frame, The obc can be around $300 for Balcony or as little as $75 depending of length and stateroom selection.

It is very rare that the fares here in UK (Cunard and Early Saver/Saver Fares) That the Cunard fare which sometimes give obc is cheaper than the other two fares. When Cunard advertise with extra obc you can guarantee that the prices have gone up to reflect their "free giveaway"

If you travel extensively with the brand then yes, holding shares does give rewards, But then they are using your money for their investment.

Nothing in life is free !

Edited by Pennbank

I agree with LB_NJ

Shareholders Benefit, you have to buy 100 shares which is expensive, for the minimal return, if like most people cruising are only able to take One Holiday a year. The reward for holding has not increased for years. Todays cost for that would be £4700 approx.

FCD can be good value however, here in the UK The Booking has to be made within one year or you lose the £50 deposit, which does get deducted if you book within the time frame, The obc can be around $300 for Balcony or as little as $75 depending of length and stateroom selection.

It is very rare that the fares here in UK (Cunard and Early Saver/Saver Fares) That the Cunard fare which sometimes give obc is cheaper than the other two fares. When Cunard advertise with extra obc you can guarantee that the prices have gone up to reflect their "free giveaway"

If you travel extensively with the brand then yes, holding shares does give rewards, But then they are using your money for their investment.

Nothing in life is free !

Don't forget the dividends which add up to approx 21/2 % per annum,which is more than most uk banks and building societies.

Don't forget the dividends which add up to approx 21/2 % per annum,which is more than most uk banks and building societies.

With regard to free money, one has received more than $6000.00 of OBC, above the cost if the shares, plus dividends, as declared by brian1.

Dear Pennybank, which financial part of this post could not be called free money?

With regard to free money, one has received more than $6000.00 of OBC, above the cost if the shares, plus dividends, as declared by brian1.

Dear Pennybank, which financial part of this post could not be called free money?

OK you get the odd £32 or so every quarter from the shares, but that is not free. Carnival are paying you for your investment. On board Credit again is not "free", its incorporated in the price of fares charged. If they did not have the obc price structure, the fares would be cheaper. Its all a marketing ploy to gain revenue.

Nothing in life is free, I also do not believe in Fairies at the bottom of my Garden or Money Trees !

OK you get the odd £32 or so every quarter from the shares, but that is not free. Carnival are paying you for your investment. On board Credit again is not "free", its incorporated in the price of fares charged. If they did not have the obc price structure, the fares would be cheaper. Its all a marketing ploy to gain revenue.

Nothing in life is free, I also do not believe in Fairies at the bottom of my Garden or Money Trees !

Okay, let one work with your premise.

On all of our next cruises we have Shareholder's benefit of $250.00 per stateroom OBC.

According to your thoughts, the $250.00 Shareholder's benefit is included in the published Cruise price. Albeit the Cunard, Early Saver or Saver Fares.

Therefore, every published Cruise price over 13 nights contains an element of $250.00 to cover Shareholder's benefit, but this amount is only claimed by Shareholders.

Therefore, those who are not Shareholders are paying artificially inflated Cruise prices, across the whole Carnival Group. Is this the point you are trying to make?