Drinking straws

tiger-91

Please tell me how many turtles you have ever seen with a straw in his nose. I didn't think so. You actually think banning plastic straws is gong to have even a slight impact on the environment, wake up it will have almost zero impact. if you want to ban something that cause a huge impact ban disposable diapers, Banning straws is just a :"make tree huggers feel good" issue.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This whole drinking straw thing is so silly and it is no more than a PC thing to make tree huggers feel better about themselves. Using or not using a straw is going to make zero difference in the environment what so ever. Period - End Of Story.

completely agree

You are giving me flashbacks. That is what my college intro to logic class called a weak analogy :rolleyes:

Its also a poor rationalization.

A corporate coffee giant is above the rules in your opinion. Not to mention coffee straws are probably 10 times the amount of plastic in ONE of their straws compared to one cocktail straw. So even using your logic, the argument does not hold up.

I really could care less either way if NCL wants to ban straws. It just reminds me of the ridiculous world we live in where even our elected leaders have different rules for different people and/or corporations. That's my point.

It reminds me of the people who want you to bicycle to work to save the environment but fly around in private planes :eek:

agree

Cruise ships might be a local problem, like beach communities can be, so banning plastic straws, cups, and balloons might be useful for improvement in a local area, but it won't help the "plastic in the ocean" problem much. Scientific American published a report that estimated 93% of the plastic in the ocean comes from 10 rivers, mostly in Asia and Africa.

So the drive to reduce the use of plastics in North America, South America and Europe has nothing to do with the plastics in the ocean. It has other goals. Not sure what those are, but it has nothing to do with plastics in the ocean.

Please tell me how many turtles you have ever seen with a straw in his nose. I didn't think so. You actually think banning plastic straws is gong to have even a slight impact on the environment, wake up it will have almost zero impact. if you want to ban something that cause a huge impact ban disposable diapers, Banning straws is just a :"make tree huggers feel good" issue.

ltviVSgWJIGgGNR-1600x900-noPad.jpg?1517532362st

For the straw remvoal picture go to this website: https://www.change.org/p/a-mass-petition-sent-to-parliament-to-ban-plastic-straws I felt it was too graphic to post in this forum.

Edited by Sauer-kraut
straw removal picture too graphic

Cruise ships might be a local problem, like beach communities can be, so banning plastic straws, cups, and balloons might be useful for improvement in a local area, but it won't help the "plastic in the ocean" problem much. Scientific American published a report that estimated 93% of the plastic in the ocean comes from 10 rivers, mostly in Asia and Africa.

So the drive to reduce the use of plastics in North America, South America and Europe has nothing to do with the plastics in the ocean. It has other goals. Not sure what those are, but it has nothing to do with plastics in the ocean.

So we shouldn't keep plastic out of our water, because other places have it worse???

Plastic and paper straws can be recycled.

This is just a ridiculously cheap cost cutting move and could backfire by becoming the poster child for NCL nickel and diming.

I don't know where you live, but most restaurants in California don't have plastic straws. Its an environmental issue not NCL issue. If you bring your own straws, please don't bring plastic. There are paper straws. China wont take our recyclable plastics anymore.

I'm on the NCL Jewel and just ordered a frozen Bushwhacker at the pool bar. The bartender brought it to me and apologized that there is no straw.

I thought at first he meant they ran out or just didn't have any, but he went on to explain that the company said to no longer give out straws.

It's not easy to drink a frozen drink without a straw.

And this is the third day. I had no issues in earlier days of getting a straw. I had to ask for one each time, but I got one.

So I'm not sure if it's just a pool bar thing or a shipwide policy.

To whom do I complain?

It is no use to complain, straws are bad for the environment and NCL is on board with helping. I am going to purchase re-useable straws for my cruise in Jan. It might be a pain, but it's for wildlife. At least I am prepared, as I just found out. It would stink to find out the way you have, as I can't drink frozen drinks without a straw either. I am glad that this policy has started though

It is no use to complain, straws are bad for the environment and NCL is on board with helping. I am going to purchase re-useable straws for my cruise in Jan. It might be a pain, but it's for wildlife. At least I am prepared, as I just found out. It would stink to find out the way you have, as I can't drink frozen drinks without a straw either. I am glad that this policy has started though

I am bringing a big old bag of disposable plastic straws with me and use a new one each time I get a drink. As soon as NCL bans disposable diapers I'll stop using straws, ya know what, no I won't.

I don't know where you live, but most restaurants in California don't have plastic straws. Its an environmental issue not NCL issue. If you bring your own straws, please don't bring plastic. There are paper straws. China wont take our recyclable plastics anymore.

I'm bring the biggest bag of plastic straws I can find just to piss off the tree huggers. LOL

Here is a thought—bring a cup with an acrylic reusable straw—as someone that lives in the Caribbean, we are trying to reduce our use of plastic straws and cups. I will be on the Getaway in 2 weeks and this cup will be with me! Will work great for the Miami Vice! My island is St Croix!

a4b9db068883bf9139bb4bfd504fa71e.jpg

So, handicapped people who NEED straws to be able to eat and/or drink are just out of luck in California?