Drinking straws

tiger-91

What about plastic cups around the pool area? Will they stop serving drinks in those plastic cups and go to glass cups?

If so, I will need to pack lots of Band-Aids for the broken glass around the pool area that the drunks are going to be causing! :')

What about plastic cups around the pool area? Will they stop serving drinks in those plastic cups and go to glass cups?

If so, I will need to pack lots of Band-Aids for the broken glass around the pool area that the drunks are going to be causing! :')

It makes sense to do that. But you know what? I don't want my scotch or wine in a plastic cup. Beer no problem. Not sure why. :confused:

They could eventually go to hard plastic glasses that can be washed and reused.

Unfortunately not every solution is a positive for everyone, but a decision should be based on what is best for the issue they are trying to solve.

Maybe I should avoid the pool and find a bar that doesn't serve in plastic.

On my last three cruises, that is exactly what I did. Took a double walled insulated glass with me that I had originally purchased in the gift shop if the Breakaway, and had the bartender put my frozen drinks in that. They were more than happy to accomadate. The pool wait staff would take my glass to the bar each time. It was great, kept the drinks colder much longer in the hot southern Caribbean weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was searching this thread to see if anyone had mentioned this before I asked myself. I am new to NCL, and plan on bringing my own tumbler, I was going to see if this would be possible. So, they didn't have a problem with pouring your drink straight into your glass, it makes so much more sense. I know what I will be doing when I go.

They could eventually go to hard plastic glasses that can be washed and reused.

On my first cruise on ncl they did use the hard plastic washable cups. They were great. Don’t know why they change to disposable plastic cups that blow over when your cup is 3/4 empty.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not using a reusable straw on a cruise. I use them at home and have been since the 80s when i bought a couple of dozen from Crate and Barrel. But at home I can keep them clean and sterile.

I’ll bring my own plastic straws and I won’t toss them overboard. When my supply is gone I’ll buy a box of paper straws, although I don’t think I will outlive my current supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On my first cruise on ncl they did use the hard plastic washable cups. They were great. Don’t know why they change to disposable plastic cups that blow over when your cup is 3/4 empty.

I remember those hard plastic washable cups. You would think that would be a cost savings for them and easy to change back to. That would be a huge reduction of plastic waste.

Just got back from the GA and no straws on ship but plastic straws at Harvest Caye. People asked if they could take them back to the ship and were told yes. Also, our first stop in Costa Maya people were getting straws by the handful. Have to say, I brought paper straws and they were awful. Ended up not drinking frozen drinks.

My opinion for the environment (not us) is that plastic cups, straws and balloons should all be banned on ships. I was recently on the Epic and enjoying the rear spa balcony for 30 minutes and saw a plastic cup and balloons end up in the ocean - you only have to do the math to see that this is unacceptable. Paper cups and straws are possibly the answer, although, a lot of trees will have to be planted but we do need more CO2 now anyway! NCL if you are reading this please take note!

This whole drinking straw thing is so silly and it is no more than a PC thing to make tree huggers feel better about themselves. Using or not using a straw is going to make zero difference in the environment what so ever. Period - End Of Story.

This is NOT TRUE! Straws clog up recycling machines and get stuck in turtles noses etc and don't decompose - surely you know this right?!

Straws clog up recycling machines....and don't decompose

Yes, most marine life is affected by plastics but so are humans.

Plastics do break down, into smaller and smaller pieces which look like krill and enter the food chain. Plastics are now found in our soil, our food and in our drinking water.

Plastics do break down, into smaller and smaller pieces which look like krill and enter the food chain. Plastics are now found in our soil, our food and in our drinking water.

So sad. Let's hope the human race can rectify this before it's too late.

It's even showing up in sea salt.

I was searching this thread to see if anyone had mentioned this before I asked myself. I am new to NCL, and plan on bringing my own tumbler, I was going to see if this would be possible. So, they didn't have a problem with pouring your drink straight into your glass, it makes so much more sense. I know what I will be doing when I go.

Yes, definitely. I brought my Bubba cup which comes with it's own straw. I only used it for water but I don't see any reason why you couldn't pour any drink into it.

They can be recycled and as long as they don't end up in the sea I think they are OK?

Recycling is good but reducing is better. That's why the order is reduce, reuse, recycle. Try to reduce first. I don't use bottled water at home at all but it is harder to avoid when traveling. Fortunately, the ship's water is just fine.

This is NOT TRUE! Straws clog up recycling machines and get stuck in turtles noses etc and don't decompose - surely you know this right?!

Please tell me how many turtles you have ever seen with a straw in his nose. I didn't think so. You actually think banning plastic straws is gong to have even a slight impact on the environment, wake up it will have almost zero impact. if you want to ban something that cause a huge impact ban disposable diapers, Banning straws is just a :"make tree huggers feel good" issue.