Kids sail Free!

lais

Can I ask a dumb question? I have an 8 year old son... what specifically makes him want to go on the Insignia? What about that ship specifically does he like? (asking for a friend - my 8 year old friend).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My 8 year old son keeps begging to join us on Insignia this summer. Thank goodness it's our honeymoon so we can say no!

Honestly though, he'd love Oceania. He's happy with good food and good service, as long as he can bring a suitcase full of books and his Nintendo DS.

Just saw the new promo on the Oceania website under Offers.

“Kids sail free”. 4 available cruises this summer on Insignia

Good to know. They will sail without me. Will not book any cruise with these promotions including the Alaska one's. Do not want to find out how many kids are on these cruises. Just will avoid any of them. :(:(:(

What I meant is that the promotion started after final payment date passed so if you are already booked and paid you don’t have that choice anymore.

I understood what you meant and you are right. What I am saying isI will not book O in the future at all during any holiday or summer season where there is even the SLIGHTEST possibility they might offer a KSF program. Life is far too short!

I'll admit up front I have 4 kids, ages 12-18, and my youngest (boy) can occasionally blow my mind sometimes ("why on earth would you DO THAT??") And I don't love kids just 'cuz they're kids. They don't get a pass for being small.

That said, I'm amused by the amount of angst even the possibility of a child on a cruise ship is causing. No judgment, we all live by our own parameters. But next time I want an O ship all to myself, I'm going to post that I've invited my son's entire class. :)

And to prove that this angst is not age specific. FWIW, I agree with the author.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/familyhealth/why-its-time-to-ban-toddlers-and-their-millennial-parents-from-our-pubs/ar-AAxoZ96

As far as I know the only kids program is for some Alaska cruises. An 8 year old who likes being with adults, can follow "the rules," sit quietly through dinner (or eat in the Terrace Cafe), likes to try new foods, enjoys a kids club environment, and likes to visit interesting places could have a very nice time on the Alaska cruise. The Alaska cruise included evening activities so parents could go to the shows and an occasional kids pizza dinner or similar.

On any other cruise, the adults would have to be responsible for entertaining their own child. Staff will not provide child focused activities or entertainment. Depends on the 8 year old.

Mary

I'll admit up front I have 4 kids, ages 12-18, and my youngest (boy) can occasionally blow my mind sometimes ("why on earth would you DO THAT??") And I don't love kids just 'cuz they're kids. They don't get a pass for being small.

That said, I'm amused by the amount of angst even the possibility of a child on a cruise ship is causing. No judgment, we all live by our own parameters. But next time I want an O ship all to myself, I'm going to post that I've invited my son's entire class. :)

And to prove that this angst is not age specific. FWIW, I agree with the author.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/familyhealth/why-its-time-to-ban-toddlers-and-their-millennial-parents-from-our-pubs/ar-AAxoZ96

Unfortunately, my attitude is the result of experience. Kids running around screaming, bellyflopping in the pool, pushing every button in the elevators, crying in the restaurants. knocking over furniture.....all while their oblivious parents sit nearby and say nothing (or worse, are nowhere in sight.) Strangely enough, I don't blame the kids. I blame those parents who have put their own needs and wants ahead of their kids'. Several of these kinds of cruises and lesson learned!

unfortunately, my attitude is the result of experience. Kids running around screaming, bellyflopping in the pool, pushing every button in the elevators, crying in the restaurants. Knocking over furniture.....all while their oblivious parents sit nearby and say nothing (or worse, are nowhere in sight.) strangely enough, i don't blame the kids. I blame those parents who have put their own needs and wants ahead of their kids'. Several of these kinds of cruises and lesson learned!

+ 1

Unfortunately, my attitude is the result of experience. Kids running around screaming, bellyflopping in the pool, pushing every button in the elevators, crying in the restaurants. knocking over furniture.....all while their oblivious parents sit nearby and say nothing (or worse, are nowhere in sight.) Strangely enough, I don't blame the kids. I blame those parents who have put their own needs and wants ahead of their kids'. Several of these kinds of cruises and lesson learned!

Have you seen this behavior on the Oceania ships or on the larger lines? In my limited experience on Oceania, the children have been well behaved. When we were getting ready to sail last summer I was talking with a friend who sailed on Carnival to the Bahamas over spring break. I will admit that my response to her complaint that there were over 900 children on board their ship was a little smug, as even a sold-out Insignia was only going to have around 650 passengers total. Given the expense of sailing Oceania versus some of the behemoth ships, I think the kid behavior is different. And age isn't really a determinant of bad behavior. I've witnessed that from all age groups.

Have you seen this behavior on the Oceania ships or on the larger lines? In my limited experience on Oceania, the children have been well behaved. When we were getting ready to sail last summer I was talking with a friend who sailed on Carnival to the Bahamas over spring break. I will admit that my response to her complaint that there were over 900 children on board their ship was a little smug, as even a sold-out Insignia was only going to have around 650 passengers total. Given the expense of sailing Oceania versus some of the behemoth ships, I think the kid behavior is different. And age isn't really a determinant of bad behavior. I've witnessed that from all age groups.

To be fair, income is really not a determinant of bad manners either.

People are free to pick and choose cruises as they wish. Some are against the GoNext Alumni Cruises, or the Food and Wine Trails Groups ( which I have participated in). Others are against cruises that may attract children. Me, I attempt to avoid the Geriatric cruises for a multitude of reasons. Lots of options out there with different lines and different ports of call ( for those of us that even care about PoC). No desire to attempt to change one’s mind on how they spend their money.

I have seen it on Seabourn and Silversea, true luxury lines where children do not belong. And it was enough to keep me away from any KSF sailing anywhere.