Beverage package specials

Sparetiming

Hi, if we want to choose a different free at sea option and purchase a beverage package separate, do they ever go on sale or is the price fixed in stone.

It is possible that I have missed some kind of special over the years, but honestly, most NCL regulars would agree, the price of the UBP (and the Service Charge % added to it) has gone up regularly the past 3-4 years!

If you drink more than 2 adult beverages daily (NOTE: No Specialty Coffees and no water bottles are included in UBP) the UBP is worth selecting as your Free at Sea option!

That would be a horribly bad financial move even if the packages did go on sale! The UBP is by far the perk with the most value. The other perks are all worth around 200 each. No sale would get a beverage package that cheap!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That would be a horribly bad financial move even if the packages did go on sale! The UBP is by far the perk with the most value. The other perks are all worth around 200 each. No sale would get a beverage package that cheap!

Maybe 3/4 guest free. But the rest are nowhere close.

NCL prices the beverage package so high that it only makes sense to select it via Free at Sea and not to purchase it separately. Other cruise lines price it at half what NCL does and have fewer exclusions.

Plus, if 1 adult buys the UBP ($89pppd +20%), every other adult 21 and older in the stateroom has to have (either via promo or purchase) the UBP.

Not true if you buy onboard. Individuals can purchase a beverage package there.

Hi, if we want to choose a different free at sea option and purchase a beverage package separate, do they ever go on sale or is the price fixed in stone.

never seen one go on sale. I also agree with others if you drink much at all there would be no benefit to switch to another perk. We love the UBP perk and we are not heavy drinkers, but do love 4 or 5 drinks a day including our dinner wine.

Not everyone drinks booze.

We picked the 3rd person free option to save $400 or so. We only drink soft drinks, aside from water, so the gratuities alone on that "free" package would cost more than just getting the soft drink package separate.

We picked the 3rd person free option to save $400 or so. We only drink soft drinks, aside from water, so the gratuities alone on that "free" package would cost more than just getting the soft drink package separate.

Nobody said everyone drinks booze and the question actually implies that the OP is a drinker....

The original question was which is financially a better option: Get as free promo or buy the package..

Yes, but then you didn't also ask about buying the UBP...

That is the difference. The OP asked about selecting other Free at Sea offers and then buying the UBP.

It would really depend upon the rate for 3rd and 4th passengers, but even that probably is not going to equal the cost of UBP. Maybe if it was the Haven, but then the Haven tends to get all Free at Sea offers versus having to select from the options.

Yea....the question was whether to pick another perk and buy the drink package. Not getting the drink package at all was not what the OP wanted. It makes zero financial sense to buy the package and choose another perk unless you have a 3rd & 4th in your room whose fare would be well over 600 each not including tax without the perk.

Maybe if it was the Haven, but then the Haven tends to get all Free at Sea offers versus having to select from the options.

Haven/suite guests have to select the UBP/SDP and have to pay the service charge for each. It's no longer automatically given and no longer without the service charge. The option to select all, some, or none of the promos is there.

Haven/suite guests have to select the UBP/SDP and have to pay the service charge for each. It's no longer automatically given and no longer without the service charge. The option to select all, some, or none of the promos is there.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Most of the promos allow Haven guests to take all the Free at Sea options. So yes the 3rd and 4th passenger free would be very advantageous, but you'd still be able to select UBP so still no reason to take another promo over UBP.

It is possible that I have missed some kind of special over the years, but honestly, most NCL regulars would agree, the price of the UBP (and the Service Charge % added to it) has gone up regularly the past 3-4 years!

If you drink more than 2 adult beverages daily (NOTE: No Specialty Coffees and no water bottles are included in UBP) the UBP is worth selecting as your Free at Sea option!

I heard from an NCL "insider" that NCL corporate is considering adding to the ultimate booze pkg to start including all specialty coffees and all Bottled water. NCL is still having a tug-of-war with senior leadership about setting a price point that both sides can agree on... My "insider" said the new price point will be somewhere between $125 - $135 per person per day...that way the gratuity on the new price would be only $25-$27 per day...so on a 7 day sailing its only $175 additional per person...again...this is from my source who only chooses to sail "inside" cabins...thus his nickname the "NCL insider"

Best,

Mark

I have always had the alcohol package on NCL - last time I sailed with them they charged $182 for taxes and gratuity. It was quite a shock when I sailed on Royal Caribbean this spring and paid $530 although it did include water and specialty coffees. Imagine my reaction when I saw that Princess wants $890 for the alcohol package for my 10 day cruise this fall.

I heard from an NCL "insider" that NCL corporate is considering adding to the ultimate booze pkg to start including all specialty coffees and all Bottled water. NCL is still having a tug-of-war with senior leadership about setting a price point that both sides can agree on... My "insider" said the new price point will be somewhere between $125 - $135 per person per day...that way the gratuity on the new price would be only $25-$27 per day...so on a 7 day sailing its only $175 additional per person...again...this is from my source who only chooses to sail "inside" cabins...thus his nickname the "NCL insider"

Best,

Mark

i hope they dont do this. i really dont want to pay more. bottled water is so unncessary, the ship water is fine. i am someone who drinks a gallon a day (literally) and i fill my nalgene on board. and all that plastic! the chinese are no longer buying our recycling. so even if you say its being recycled, its still ending up in landfills.

I heard from an NCL "insider" that NCL corporate is considering adding to the ultimate booze pkg to start including all specialty coffees and all Bottled water.

How would that work with Starbucks?

We all know what will happen if specialty coffee is added and the price and service charge goes up.....

"I don't even drink coffee!!! Why do I have to pay extra for something that I don't want? NCL is nickel and diming me again!!!"

....coming soon to the NCL forum...;p

How would that work with Starbucks?

We all know what will happen if specialty coffee is added and the price and service charge goes up.....

"I don't even drink coffee!!! Why do I have to pay extra for something that I don't want? NCL is nickel and diming me again!!!"

....coming soon to the NCL forum...;p

While possible, I'm not putting a lot of stock in that rumor. I'm sure marketing and accounting are always going back and forth over promos, price points, and various other things, but this one feels like a straight up rumor.