How Child Appropriate Are The Shows On Bliss?

ceilidh1

First time on NCL and we are going on Bliss. I know that the Prohibition show is not kid appropriate, but anyone know about the others? My 11 year old really enjoys the production shows and comedians on Princess, but not sure what to expect with NCL as we have never sailed before with them. I assume Jersey Boys will be fine, but what about the comedy club/Havana/Beatles, etc???

Thanks in advance

Saw Jersey Boys in Las Vegas and it is full of cussing (mainly the F word). I would not take anyone under 18 to see it. I hope they have adapted it for the Bliss.

The Vegas version is going to be different than what is shown on the ship. The tour version was over 2 hours long. NCL is not going to have a two hour show, it is going to be modified and most of the dialog is going to be deleted, so that it is mostly music.

Little kids and shows....I don’t get it.
??? The OP said their child is 11years old. Why can't they enjoy theatre and entertainment? I've been taking my daughter to theater since she's been 4 years old. Started with kids theatre but then moved to Broadway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was on Bliss for the Panama Canal. Jersey Boys was excellent with strong language including the F word. The show is 1.5 hours long.

Hope this info helps.

That's great - thank you! I'm glad I checked, as I assumed Jersey Boys would be the "safe" one - lol! I'm sure she hears worse on the streets, but I will still hold off on taking her to the show. Also, 1.5 hours? That's some show!

Little kids and shows....I don’t get it.

She isn't little - she is 11 (will be almost 12 at sailing). I also have a 7 year old that I would not even think of taking to the shows - nothing to do with the age, but more to do with me knowing that he would not be able to sit quietly through it!

I’m not a parent but, can’t you make an exception about letting your kids hear curse words in front of you for a free show on a cruise you’re already paying for? I’m pretty sure your 9-12 year olds have heard a few f-bombs on the playground by now, right?

• Like 2

I’m not a parent but, can’t you make an exception about letting your kids hear curse words in front of you for a free show on a cruise you’re already paying for? I’m pretty sure your 9-12 year olds have heard a few f-bombs on the playground by now, right?

I was thinking the same thing (except I am a parent, just of 20-something’s).The f-word was probably said less than 10 times. Jersey Boys was really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Saw Jersey Boys in Las Vegas and it is full of cussing (mainly the F word). I would not take anyone under 18 to see it. I hope they have adapted it for the Bliss.

I hope they keep an authentic script. If you don't like shows with curse words then don't go. Cursing is in movies ,stage plays and high school buses. Everyone should not have to watch sanitized shows because a few get offended. If you want only cartoon character shows please cruise Disney.

This is not directed at you personally, I am just responding to the post. I am so tired of reading how a tiny fraction of people are offended by the stupidest things. I remember how freaked out some where a guy dressed like a girl in Cirque Dreams or saw dancing rabbis singing. They have curse words in PG-13 movies. Some people even blogged here how Rock of Ages had simulated pretend pot smoking and they grabbed their kids and ran out of the theater :eek: Stick to Barney and Friends or Sponge Bob breakfasts.

Yet these same parents let their kids play video games where they shoot and blow up everyone. They will let their kids shoot up everyone at laser tag but freak out over a curse word their child uses in private with their friends. Gotta love the irony ;)

Stop criticizing the cruise line for putting on Broadway shows because you want to bring your children and get offended at a curse word or a man in drag. Stop attending these shows so you don't have to complain and walk out.

I have to laugh because even at the adult comedy shows on cruise lines is hardly adult. Maybe a curse word or a borderline adult theme but NEVER EVER anything raunchy or adult orientated IMHO.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3

Yet these same parents let their kids play video games where they shoot and blow up everyone. They will let their kids shoot up everyone at laser tag but freak out over a curse word their child uses in private with their friends. Gotta love the irony ;)

Thanks for the flashback.

The movie rule in our house when I was growing up was "they can say what they want, they can kill who they want, they can snort what they want... BUT EVERYONE HAS TO KEEP THEIR CLOTHES ON."

My mother was a lovely woman. Kind of like a chocoholic--except wth booze.

(y)

I hope they keep an authentic script. If you don't like shows with curse words then don't go. Cursing is in movies ,stage plays and high school buses. Everyone should not have to watch sanitized shows because a few get offended. If you want only cartoon character shows please cruise Disney.

This is not directed at you personally, I am just responding to the post. I am so tired of reading how a tiny fraction of people are offended by the stupidest things. I remember how freaked out some where a guy dressed like a girl in Cirque Dreams or saw dancing rabbis singing. They have curse words in PG-13 movies. Some people even blogged here how Rock of Ages had simulated pretend pot smoking and they grabbed their kids and ran out of the theater :eek: Stick to Barney and Friends or Sponge Bob breakfasts.

Stop criticizing the cruise line for putting on Broadway shows because you want to bring your children and get offended at a curse word or a man in drag. Stop attending these shows so you don't have to complain and walk out.

I have to laugh because even at the adult comedy shows on cruise lines is hardly adult. Maybe a curse word or a borderline adult theme but NEVER EVER anything raunchy or adult orientated IMHO.

Unless it's billed as an "adult" show, your 11 year old won't be out of place.

Thanks for this! I'm trying to find out as much beforehand as possible to be prepared. Never sailed this line before. I'm not concerned so much about the swearing (as I said, she has heard worse on the street) but don't want HER to feel uncomfortable if it really is geared solely to adults. I wouldn't take DS (7) solely because I know he wouldn't sit through a show such as this ans that wouldn't be fair to other people in the theatre.

Reading up on the ship, I see there are areas that are adult only or for Haven guests. Are these clearly marked on the ship itself? Am I likely to inadvertently wander into such areas and be blasted for being somewhere I shoudln't or having kids somewhere they shouldn't be?

I took my kids to see Jersey Boys when they were 10 and 12. But I’m not the type who worries about kids over kindergarten age hearing “ bad” words. We always talked about what language was appropriate at school and around adults in general. We talked about how when they were adults they needed to decide for themselves when or whether to curse. My kids definitely used certain words when around peers that they did not around adults. To me teaching them about these things was a lot better than keeping them from hearing them.

They are in their twenties now and don’t use these words much. My younger daughter was talking at home when her grandmother was there and was saying how someone she knew ( who drove under the influence) was “stupid AF”. My mom asked what AF meant. Daughter told her she didn’t want to say those words out loud. Lol.

The Daily will list if a comedy show is adult or not. Usually only the later-scheduled comedy shows will say Adult Only.

The Beatles was only music, so no worries there. The only problem was the Cavern Club is too small for the number of people who wanted to see it. We were on the TA cruise, with less than 2500 guests, and we went & took chairs & stools from the waterfront to sit on.

• 7 months later...

We were on the NCL Bliss this past Dec 2018, and saw the Jersey Boy show.  They said that the 7:30pm show would be "family friendly"...lets just say there is no way that was family friendly! They said the F word over 20 times.  There were several families and adults who got up and walked out of the performance after a few F bombs.  NCL, if you're going to claim "family friendly" at the 7:30 show, PLEASE follow through with what you advertise.  

Edited by TexasMama500
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2018 at 9:32 AM, zqvol said:

The Vegas version is going to be different than what is shown on the ship. The tour version was over 2 hours long. NCL is not going to have a two hour show, it is going to be modified and most of the dialog is going to be deleted, so that it is mostly music.

Really?  Have you seen the Bliss show?   I saw the Vegas version and the Bliss version.  I don't recall much missing dialogue nor much difference at all between the two shows.   The story is the most important part of the show, not sure how much could be cut out of it.

To the OP, there is a lot of the F word in Jersey Boys and some adult innuendo that I think will go right over the head of an 11 year old.  Only you know whether that will be appropriate for your child.

On 6/3/2018 at 12:06 PM, ceilidh1 said:

Thanks for this! I'm trying to find out as much beforehand as possible to be prepared. Never sailed this line before. I'm not concerned so much about the swearing (as I said, she has heard worse on the street) but don't want HER to feel uncomfortable if it really is geared solely to adults.

Jersey Boys is definitely not geared solely to adults.  The story of the 4 Seasons begins with some ruffians on the streets of New Jersey and the language reflects that.  As I said, only you know what's appropriate for your child.  I'm pretty sure I'd allow my 11 year old to see it if she wanted to.

Edited by PATRLR

Here's my issue with the entertainment line up on the Bliss: it isn't family centric, period.

Jersey Boys, Beatles, Prohibition not one of these shows connects with young travelers. The profanity element just further complicates parents choices. I am an adult and I'm not happy to have listen to a live musical show depicting the 60s that contains profanity, it isn't my vocabulary and really don't find it enhancing, especially for such a show. That said since it is on the ship I'll go, not sure I'll push for my teen nephew to join us though I wouldn't shield him if he does come.

I'm just off the Pearl and the shows were very family friendly and quite entertaining: R&B girl group, aerialists, family friendly comedy. Lots to choose from and it was really nice to see 2-3 generation families able to enjoy shows together.

Thankfully NCL does a great job with talent around the ship, so I'm sure there be something in a lounge, wine bar, atrium that we'll enjoy in the evening too.

I am the OP and have since sailed and looking forward to our next trip on Bliss! I watched Jersey Boys and thought it was fantastic - yes, there were a few F-Bombs, smoking, fighting, etc. Turns out I didn't need to worry about whether it would be appropriate for my kids as neither of them were willing to leave kids club to go watch it. I will say that my 7 year old would have had a really hard time sitting that long but the 11 year old would have likely enjoyed it.

I didn't care for Havana and actually left before the end. The comedians did an early, family-friendly show, which my kids LOVED as well as a later adult show (which they did not get to see!). They had no interest in the Beatles shows but they really enjoyed Siglo.

Like all cruises we have been on, my kids had an absolute blast primarily due to their love of kids clubs. If they were the kind of children that refused to go to the kids club then I'm not sure there would be enough "family" type entertainment for us - this is not unique to NCL/Bliss. Thankfully, that is not something I have to worry about and we are all able to get things we really enjoy out of cruising!

• Like 1