What's the real story to bringing water bottles on board??

I was under the impression that it wasn't allowed until I read a recent review on VOS and the OP stated they were allowed to bring water bottles on board at embarkation.

Paying $39 for bottled water is ridiculous, I really don't know how RCI can justify the exorbitant charge.

Has anyone else gotten away with bringing bottled water on board?

I was under the impression that it wasn't allowed until I read a recent review on VOS and the OP stated they were allowed to bring water bottles on board at embarkation.

Paying $39 for bottled water is ridiculous, I really don't know how RCI can justify the exorbitant charge.

They will usually allow you to bring water onboard, but remember the rooms are not ready until 1:30 or so you will be schlepping it around until that time.

They will usually allow you to bring water onboard, but remember the rooms are not ready until 1:30 or so you will be schlepping it around until that time.

For $39 I can schlep with the best of them, lol!:D

Apparently there is no need for schlepping.

At least out of Galveston “everyone” reports that all you need to do is tape a luggage tag to the top of the unopened case and it will magically appear in your cabin with the rest of your luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are denied at the pier, you’re only out $3-4, so worth giving it a shot. Personally, I have no problem with the ship’s water and have no intention of hauling around a heavy case of water, but then I’ve been cruising long before anyone drank bottled water.

We have put luggage tags on cases of water at the pier on all three of our cruises. All three times they were delivered on board with the luggage. Twice we saw them in the stairwell waiting to be delivered and grabbed them ourselves and took to the cabin. No need to schlep around.

For only a few dollars it's definitely worth the try.

The last time was in Miami on Enchantment a few weeks ago.

Had a reversal yesterday as we were not allowed to bring an empty water bottle back on the ship. Next time I will bring my NCL water bottle, see if they try to take that away from me.

If we drive to the port (instead of flying), we bring water with us. Always put luggage tags taped to them and they get delivered. Last year we brought two 12 packs of water and only one was delivered. We think another passenger may have swiped it since it just sits in the hallway until we get to the room.

If you sail out of Port Canaveral they will NOT accept a case of water with a luggage tag slapped on it. You will be instructed to carry it on or throw it away.

They will also tell you if you have wine in your checked luggage to remove it before handing over your bag.

Guess it varies from port to port.....

Nobody is forcing you to buy it so why worry about it if you don't intend to buy it. There is water all over the ship, the same that's used in your drinks, food, tea, coffee, etc. . Thousands

The deal is that it is now allowed. That being said many people do whatever they want (because they think it's their right) and many have reported that have gotten away with it.

I DO NOT go on a vacation if I can not afford it. I do not enjoy turning a cruise into a camping trip by dragging a bunch of stuff on with me.

As for "how can RCI justify this charge????"

it's about the same as any hotel gift shop, or airport store. It's just the way it is. I personally either pay for it or just drink the copious amounts of absolutely fine drinking water available at no charge on the ship.

To each his own. the deal is it's not allowed. ...

this is an ongoing debate on CC their are arguments on each side.

Those that take bottles of water on board:

True not technically allowed, rarely enforced (and indeed will be refused at PC if you hand them a case), ...so do yourselves and the porters a favor and do not simply "slap a tag" on that bulky, hard to handle shrink wrapped case of water.

Put some bottles in a bag with handles and attach luggage tag to that...for easier transfer. I do it all the time, (I dislike the bottled water on the ship) and have always received my bag delivered to my cabin.

Porters don't like "schelpping" those bulky cases anymore than you do.

We sometimes put some bottles in a cabin size case along with some clothes for padding and check it in. On other occasions, we pick up the odd bottle during port stops and take it back to the ship.

The water on the ship is fine and that is what we drink if we have run out. Not a problem but we do have a preference for bottled water if it is available.

The deal is that it is now allowed. That being said many people do whatever they want (because they think it's their right) and many have reported that have gotten away with it.

I DO NOT go on a vacation if I can not afford it. I do not enjoy turning a cruise into a camping trip by dragging a bunch of stuff on with me.

As for "how can RCI justify this charge????"

it's about the same as any hotel gift shop, or airport store. It's just the way it is. I personally either pay for it or just drink the copious amounts of absolutely fine drinking water available at no charge on the ship.

To each his own. the deal is it's not allowed. ...

this is an ongoing debate on CC their are arguments on each side.

How nice for you. It's the principle, $39 is highway robbery plain and simple. I would however be willing to pay 3x the amount, that would be fair and justifiable.

How nice for you. It's the principle, $39 is highway robbery plain and simple. I would however be willing to pay 3x the amount, that would be fair and justifiable.

Huh? Somehow this post just doesn’t make sense.

For the Brand they give you, 12pak Evian large size, it's not. To buy 6 pack at the store about $11-13, times 2 is $22-26. Royal charging $39 for convenience isn't that bad. Now if was the $39 for one of the cheap brand smaller cases of bottles that cost $4 a case, that would be robbery...

As others said, against rules, rarely enforced, But if you do bring water put it in a case, don't just slap a tag on it...

Ya it's a lot, but I work at a concert venue sometimes where they charge $7.50 for a liter of bottled water. $17 for a single and $21 for a double of premium liquor per shot!!! It's insane the mark-up these days even in restaurants!!

For the Brand they give you, 12pak Evian large size, it's not. To buy 6 pack at the store about $11-13, times 2 is $22-26. Royal charging $39 for convenience isn't that bad. Now if was the $39 for one of the cheap brand smaller cases of bottles that cost $4 a case, that would be robbery...

As others said, against rules, rarely enforced, But if you do bring water put it in a case, don't just slap a tag on it...

Actually you can buy a 6 pack of Evian for $4.98 at Walmart.

We put 2 6-packs of 16 oz. bottles of Pepsi in a hard side carryon and checked it at the curb with our other suitcases. Arrived at our cabin door with all bottles intact. But we live close and drive to the port...no flights involved, so it’s easy for us to bring an extra carryon.

We think another passenger may have swiped it since it just sits in the hallway until we get to the room.

This is what we're afraid of - so we kind of keep our eyes out for them and grab them ourselves instead of waiting for them to be delivered.

we have always slapped a tag on a case of water and it has always arrived intact and to our cabin..... we have done this on both celebrity and Royal